Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Don't buy an Orbi... firmware removes functionality and causes wifi performance to be terrible..

gtap
Aspirant

Don't buy an Orbi... firmware removes functionality and causes wifi performance to be terrible...

So I bought my Orbi at the end of 2018... I had a faulty unit to start with but then it got replaced and I got one that worked and set it up.  For the most part it kind of worked but frankly their claim of great wifi throughout the house is not true.  I have a router and 2 sattelites in a three storey town house in Amsterdam NL of roughly 230m2 or 2500sqft and still have significant wifi issues even with routers only 10m away!  I was forced to put two satellites on the 1st floor (only 75m2 to get a good signal to my office) but still do not get great wifi (yes there are walls between bedrooms Netgear - go figure) the router on the ground floor and then in the end used an old router in the basement which I could physically wire.

Anyway I kind of got it setup and working despite my frustration above (so some dead spots and poor wifi performance) and in my key locations I managed to get good signal and fast speeds (250mbps to internet which is what my ISP provides) almost as good as next to the main router.  I had configured it to use separate SSID's and it was doing great and using 802.11ac to connect to devices.

Yesterday I had to try to change some settings for my BluOS devices to see if it resolved an issue... and once I did this it killed my separate SSID's and now none of my deviced connect with 802.11ac anymore and they all show as only 802.11a.  The impact to me is all my connections the internet speed has dropped to 25Mbps, that's a 10x degredation in speed!!!!!  I did not even click anything that said remove the dual SSID's or change the channels!

Now I cannot find anywhere where I can via the UI re-enable my two SSID's (apparently I'll have to telnet for that) and on top of that I do not get why it no longer uses 802.11ac!  

I'm not unreasonable... so I went to look to contact customer support... but guess what you CAN'T without paying yet more money.  Ridiculous... I get being out of warranty but seriously when functioanlity just vanishes and the premium price they charge it's crazy.  I'm left with venting this frustration here and can only advise all of you to NOT BUY an ORBI.

Now meanwhile back on my planet earth I have a few questions as follows:

1. Is there anyway I can go back to configuring my SSID's and the specific channels they use?
  2. Is there anyway I can force connection to 802.11ac
  3. Should I throw these devices out...
  4. Does anybody have recommendations for products that actually do work and can keep stable internet speeds?

Funny bit was I was thinking of upgrading to their Wifi 6 to see if my deadzones went away... but with this experience it would be even more crazy to consider doing this.

If anybody has any advice please chime in... if Netgear are paying any attention please take on your customer repsonsibility and support us!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Don't buy an Orbi... firmware removes functionality and causes wifi performance to be terrible..

Channels are limited on the Orbi. Especially on 5Ghz. The upper channels are hidden due to that the 3rd backhaul wifi radios are using these channels, 149 and up. These are not configurable by users and auto used by the system. So this leaves the lower 4 channels on the 2nd 5Ghz radio that users can change. 

NG has always been kind of backwards in there naming and check box conventions. So when it comes to Orbi, just remember that having a check in the box ENABLES the feature, taking the check mark out of the box, either disables the feature or in case of the 20/40Mhz Coexistence, changes the feature to 40Mhz only. WMM should always be enabled. I think it is by default even after a factory reset. 

It's up to wireless devices to pick and choose the signals they connect to. Orbi only provides the platform and singals to connet too. 

Bulding materials can cause problems for WiFi signals. Concrete and metal are to great for 5Ghz. 

Glad the system is up and running better. I think a reset and setup from scratch when you get time will be all thats needed. Be sure to safe off a new backup configuration to file when you done getting the system back up and running as you like. 

Maybe this changes your mind about "Don't buy an Orbi". Smiley Wink

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gtap wrote:

Thanks again for the advice. I have already upgraded the firmware now to 2.5.1.8 on all the devices.  I will see if I can do the factory reset over the weekend (can't risk it now with my work).

What I still don't get is why they think Orbi users should not manage some of their wifi settings... and why they lable things like WMM not entirely correctly.  Did you know that checking that box turns off 802.11ac?  As much as I understand (which is limited in truth) that should simply remove the QoS that prioritizes streaming services and not touch the wifi configuration.  My R7000 let's me choose channel (even above 100) & mode... did I miss something when those got combined into WMM?

I suppose the good news is I'm back to my usual 200Mbps internet speed again in my office... need to see why it's still though producing poor signal in places... doesn't really make sense to me... the router in my office is less than 5m for a BlueSound PowerNode 2i in the adjacent room and yet the Bluesound device is connecting to the main router which is one floor below and at least 10m away.  Makes no sense.  In general also if I have one wall the signal drops significantly... I know it will drop but seems like my R7000 copes with walls better.  I just feel like I'm not understanding something.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tired using the Orbi system as it was meant and designed for? With a single SSID name and PW? 

NG doesn't support separation of SSIDs on Orbi at all. Never has so it was never a feature. Yes users have done the telnet thing so users made it there own feature. Seems to work for some and not others. If you did a FW update, then this would have broke your SSID separation. All of your experiences are probably due to this separation which seems to be causing problems. Normally not seen if you used it as NG intended. 

Why not use the Orbi as it was intended by NG? Been working for me and others just fine aside the odd ball issues we all enounter. Orbi uses AC modes. If you have AC supporting devices then they will connect to this mode. You can see the link rate by installing WiFi Sweet Spots on your mobile devices. You should see 866Mbps as a link rate on supporting devices. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded? I find that v2.5.1.8 is stable for me. Others as well. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Message 2 of 12
gtap
Aspirant

First thanks for trying to help... Yes I have now tried using it as is but was horrific compared to 24 hours ago. (Spoiler alert it was WMM.)

Just to be clear I did not upgrade my firmware yesterday and am on the latest version V2.5.0.38.  All I did was uncheck "Enable WMM" and apply... which proceeded to reboot my router.

Prior to that I absolutely had 2 separate SSID's which were configured back in late 2018 via the UI and had picked manual channels on both 2Ghz & 5Ghz.  So yes you could in the past configure separate SSID's.

The result of that one change was it wiped my two separate channels now my 2Ghz is set on auto and 5Ghz is set to 36 and it has collapsed my seprate SSID's into one... without me asking it to do that (I'm sure driven by the change in UI and me pressing apply).  Do I care that has happened... not if it means I get as good a signal and performance but the reality is it has ruined it... I work from home and all my VoIP calls became broken.

When I went down to my old Netgear router (Nighthawk R7000) in the basement with my relatively new MacBook it immediately connected in ac mode and gave me a great rate.  When I went anywhere near any of the Orbi's it refused to connect in anything other than a mode and gave me a horrific performance... yet 24 hours ago it worked just fine and always connected in "ac" mode.

I just don't get why it would stop my devices connecting in "ac" mode as all WMM is supposed to be a form of QoS.

The good news is I have now turned that back on and it has re-enabled "ac" mode... which does not make any sense unless what they are doing is using the UI to fake WMM by forcing ac mode and moving from 40 to 80Mhz.

I would like to understand why I can no longer control my wifi and channels like I did before and why WMM does not really do just WMM but also messes with the wifi type which my understanding is it is not supposed to.

In the end not impressed by Oribi and would not recommend it.

But... thanks for responding and your help.

Gavin

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, NG pulled v38 last year as everyone complained it broke a few things. So I would first do this, download and manually update to v2.5.1.8 from the download site. Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. Factory reset and setup from scratch. I'm currently using this on my RBK50 and WMM is enabled. Along with Beamforming and MIMO and FastRoaming. 40Mhz Coexistance Only. 

I think once your on v2.5.1.8 you'll see a change. Others also report this version being more stable. It also fixes the device naming issue that was found on v38 and v40 which NG pulled. 

Message 4 of 12
gtap
Aspirant

That's also interesting as I have been sitting here for months clicking on check firmware and it kept coming back to say I had the latest... but as you point out it seems I did not.  Feeling a bit dim now not having checked the site too.

Do I really need to setup from scratch (factory default)?  Will give it a go without.

I'll give you lots of credit at this point you are restoring my faith somewhat so I appreciate it.

Have you tried their Wifi 6 version yet?  Will it make any real difference appart from cost me a fortune :-).

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes the Orbi FW check doesn't pick up on updates. I think it also depends on if NG makes it available on there servers. 

Try the update first with out a reset, If nothing changes, try the reset and setup from scratch. You should be able to enable Beamforming, WMM, 40Mhz only and MIMO. If you don't have any MIMO supporting devices you can leave this off. 

I have both RBK50 and RBK853 online currently. 

Message 6 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

It has been reported that the v2.5.0.x firmware releases leave some garbage behind.  Before doing a factory reset and upgrade to v2.5.1.8, your should do the following:

1) Backup your configuration settings (under Advanced tab -> Administration -> Backup Settings)

2) Take a screenshot of every setup screen that you have customized. This can be used in case you restore settings manually in case the backup file also contains unwanted garbage or clutter (i.e. MAC addresses of old devices that connected to your network months ago).

3) Upgrade the firmware on the RBS50 satellites first to v2.5.1.8

4) Upgrade the RBR50 firmware to v2.5.1.8 manually

5) Reset the router to factory settings

6) Configure the router to the point where you can restore you settings saved in step 1

7) If the settings are still corrupt or the system is not working correctly, factory reset the router again and setup manually using your screenshots from step 2 as a reference

😎 Backup settings again when all is completed

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 12
eljarviso
Luminary

I’ve been unhappy with my Orbi system as well and have settled on moving everything to ubiquiti. I’m planning on going with two UAP-AC Pro units. I’m running an ubiquiti ER-X router. You could also look at the Amplifi mesh series. They rate quite well and work well with a lot of devices. Ubiquiti engineers also hang out on their forums.
Message 8 of 12
gtap
Aspirant

I'll take a look at these thanks!

Message 9 of 12
gtap
Aspirant

Thanks again for the advice. I have already upgraded the firmware now to 2.5.1.8 on all the devices.  I will see if I can do the factory reset over the weekend (can't risk it now with my work).

What I still don't get is why they think Orbi users should not manage some of their wifi settings... and why they lable things like WMM not entirely correctly.  Did you know that checking that box turns off 802.11ac?  As much as I understand (which is limited in truth) that should simply remove the QoS that prioritizes streaming services and not touch the wifi configuration.  My R7000 let's me choose channel (even above 100) & mode... did I miss something when those got combined into WMM?

I suppose the good news is I'm back to my usual 200Mbps internet speed again in my office... need to see why it's still though producing poor signal in places... doesn't really make sense to me... the router in my office is less than 5m for a BlueSound PowerNode 2i in the adjacent room and yet the Bluesound device is connecting to the main router which is one floor below and at least 10m away.  Makes no sense.  In general also if I have one wall the signal drops significantly... I know it will drop but seems like my R7000 copes with walls better.  I just feel like I'm not understanding something.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Channels are limited on the Orbi. Especially on 5Ghz. The upper channels are hidden due to that the 3rd backhaul wifi radios are using these channels, 149 and up. These are not configurable by users and auto used by the system. So this leaves the lower 4 channels on the 2nd 5Ghz radio that users can change. 

NG has always been kind of backwards in there naming and check box conventions. So when it comes to Orbi, just remember that having a check in the box ENABLES the feature, taking the check mark out of the box, either disables the feature or in case of the 20/40Mhz Coexistence, changes the feature to 40Mhz only. WMM should always be enabled. I think it is by default even after a factory reset. 

It's up to wireless devices to pick and choose the signals they connect to. Orbi only provides the platform and singals to connet too. 

Bulding materials can cause problems for WiFi signals. Concrete and metal are to great for 5Ghz. 

Glad the system is up and running better. I think a reset and setup from scratch when you get time will be all thats needed. Be sure to safe off a new backup configuration to file when you done getting the system back up and running as you like. 

Maybe this changes your mind about "Don't buy an Orbi". Smiley Wink

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gtap wrote:

Message 11 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have WMM enabled on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my RBR50 and RBS50 Orbis running v2.5.1.8.  My laptops are showing that they are using 802.11ac (WiFi 5), so I am not seeing enabling WMM causing the connection to drop using 802.11ac as you did.

@gtap wrote:

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7