Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double nat issue...

gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Double nat issue...

Hardly a disadvantage. If anything, removing crap out of the way of the Orbi to the Internet is a huge advantage.

Management console is how one interacts with the router via browser interface. A generic term.
Message 26 of 35
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho wrote:
Hardly a disadvantage. If anything, removing crap out of the way of the Orbi to the Internet is a huge advantage.

There is a good reason why NG bundles Armor with Orbi, to help defend against external attacks not just for the Orbi itself, but for the entire network behind Orbi.  Having another layer of security/firewall/router/Armor defending against external attack is not 'crap'.  It's a safe practice unless security isn't a concern.

Perhaps, your view of having another box with built-in security/firewall in front of Orbi is 'crap', but others might have different view points.  This isn't about Router vs AP mode.  Stick with whatever mode that works best for you and more importantly, meet all your needs.

Message 27 of 35
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Stay focused on the Orbi and don’t confuse or muddle the matter in question by bringing up computers on the home network, which should already be protected on their own. If there’s a suggestion the Orbi is somehow unsafe or insecure on its own without the need for an add on like Armor when connected to the open internet , I’d like to understand that better.
Message 28 of 35
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho wrote:
...computers on the home network, which should already be protected on their own.

Someone who has IT/IS experience or groks Internet Security risk would probably LTAO when reading the above statement.  It might be true for computers on your home network, but the same doesn't apply to all home computers/networks.  I seriously doubt if everyone installs security product like malware protection on their iPads/iPhones.  Otherwise, why would anyone pay monthly subscription for Armor service?

@gr8sho wrote:
... If there’s a suggestion the Orbi is somehow unsafe or insecure on its own without the need for an add on like Armor when connected to the open internet , I’d like to understand that better.

It's common sense to avoid taking on unnecessary security risk whenever possible.  It doesn't mean/imply that Orbi can/can't handle these attacks or that it's unsafe or insecure.  If Orbi is safe and secure, NG would never release new Firmware to address security issues.

Case and point that Orbi is vulnerable:

Current Version: V2.3.1.48
New Version: V2.3.1.60

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes the issue where the time zone can't sync with the satellite.

[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the guest network control using Alexa.

[Bug Fix] Includes security fixes.

Message 29 of 35
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Doesn't mean the product isn't worthy of doing its job as a router interfacing to the internet.

And best I can tell for the time I tried using it, Armor provides some notifications and A/V licences for computers, and does nothing to harden the router from a firewall perspective.

Message 30 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

So why don't you two start a new thread here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

and discuss the ins and outs of on board router security and lets get back to the subject of @BiGMERF as his issue has been resolved. Smiley Wink

Thank you.

Message 31 of 35
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Because I don't want to talk about Armor, I want to talk about Orbi as a base product. And if we successfully get our Orbi router properly bridged to the Internet, we'd want to know it's safe and secure as is. If I misunderstood the intended purpose of this product, apologies.
Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Please a new post then. Smiley Wink

Message 33 of 35
Spartacus618
Aspirant

Re: Double nat issue xbox

Issue with Double Nat on the Xbox.  Addressed it with Port Forwarding - quick fix.  Hope it helps anyone who comes across if the same issue.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 34 of 35
Spartacus618
Aspirant

read through the dialog... port forwarding addressed the issue for me but was not tried here.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7