Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Download speed cut in half on wired connection

MidTnMike41
Aspirant

Download speed cut in half on wired connection

Hi, 

I just installed my Orbi on a xfinity gigabit connection using bridge mode. When I plug my pc directy into the modem I get a speedtest of about 960Mbs down. When I plug my pc into the Orbi I only get 350Mbs down. I tried changing the cable between my modem and the Orbi but still getting same speed. Has anyone else had this issue?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Seems that you and others are noticing issues with the ISP services as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...

Glad they got it fixed. Please mark your thread Solved so others will know. 

Enjoy now. 

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

My issue is resolved. Turned out to be a problem with xfinity. After rebooting everything and plugging PC directly into modem i was only getting 350Mbps from modem. After an hour on the phone they admitted my speed was wrong. They did something, i lost internet for a few min and it came up. I now get 950Mbps on my wired PCs through the Orbi. All is good. Make sure to check speed going in!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Robreiderjr
Tutor

Interesting that you're having that problem. I was about to post with the exact issue, though I'm on Spectrum and using an Arris TM1602 modem. When I connect either a Mac or PC directly to the modem I get over 200Mbps down but when I connect the Orbi system it goes down to just under 100. I don't know how to set the Orbi to bridge mode but this seems to be symptomatic of Double NAT (at least that's what I'm reading).

Would love to have some Orbi/Netgear assitance with this!

Rob

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

Hi, 

I just installed my Orbi on a xfinity gigabit connection using bridge mode. When I plug my pc directy into the modem I get a speedtest of about 960Mbs down. When I plug my pc into the Orbi I only get 350Mbs down. I tried changing the cable between my modem and the Orbi but still getting same speed. Has anyone else had this issue?

Message 3 of 15
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

It is running the latest firmware V2.2.1.210. Not sure of the model# of the modem, it's whatever Xfinity provides. I put it in bridge mode and the Orbi is in router mode. 

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Orbi only supports these modes. There is no bridge mode. 

Your TM1602 is a modem/Voip only, there is no NAT here. You should be seeing a public IP address ON the Orbi router. 

Try this, Power OFF The ISP Modem and factory reset the Orbi router. Power ON the ISP Modem. Walk thru the setup wizard of the Orbi. Besure not to enable QoS, Traffic Meter, or Access Controls or Circle. Don't set up the satellite(s), just yet. If your ISP doesn't support IPv6, disable it as well. Might test both testtings. 

Run a speed test using a web browser with speedtest.net with the wired PC. What are the results here? 

@Robreiderjr wrote:

Interesting that you're having that problem. I was about to post with the exact issue, though I'm on Spectrum and using an Arris TM1602 modem. When I connect either a Mac or PC directly to the modem I get over 200Mbps down but when I connect the Orbi system it goes down to just under 100. I don't know how to set the Orbi to bridge mode but this seems to be symptomatic of Double NAT (at least that's what I'm reading).

Would love to have some Orbi/Netgear assitance with this!

Rob

Message 5 of 15
Robreiderjr
Tutor

Hi, Furry,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll get on the reset in the next 48 hours and do what you say. I currently have the latest firmware (it was checked yesterday but I don't recall what it is).

When I do the factory reset of the router will that screw up the settings of all the devices I have when it comes back online? It's been a tedious process with a bunch of WeMo devices. My assumption is that if I give the network the same name and password everything should still work but I'd like to know that before I get started so I have time to reconfigure all that stuff if necessary.

Thanks again,

Rob

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do this first. Go to Advanced Tab/Advaced Settings/Backup. Save your current routers configuration to file. Keep this handy. 

Then do the factory reset and setup from scratch. Before reloading the saved config file, run the wired speeds tests first and see if you get to spec speeds. If you do, then load the config file. Then test again, and run speed tests gain. Let us know if you see any differences. 

@Robreiderjr wrote:

Hi, Furry,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll get on the reset in the next 48 hours and do what you say. I currently have the latest firmware (it was checked yesterday but I don't recall what it is).

When I do the factory reset of the router will that screw up the settings of all the devices I have when it comes back online? It's been a tedious process with a bunch of WeMo devices. My assumption is that if I give the network the same name and password everything should still work but I'd like to know that before I get started so I have time to reconfigure all that stuff if necessary.

Thanks again,

Rob

Message 7 of 15
timc166293
Aspirant

I just posted the same issue under Fios under another post.  I get half the speed wired.  Orbi to ONT vs Fios router to ONT.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review your post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-with-fios/td-p/1693906/jump-to/first-unread-message

@timc166293 wrote:

I just posted the same issue under Fios under another post.  I get half the speed wired.  Orbi to ONT vs Fios router to ONT.

Message 9 of 15
timc166293
Aspirant

I did.  You are asking customer to install two routers, with one in AP mode.  Most of us want, as stated on this thread states, one router and one modem/ONT.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

This thread is in regards to a cable modem, the user does not have fiber or ONT. His modem is just a modem only, not router built in or additional router from ISP. 

You'll need to contact the ISP to check to see if there router can be removed from the mix. Some ISPs require the use of there router. Options were given in these cases. If you can remove there router, then the Orbi can be used in router mode. 

@timc166293 wrote:

I did.  You are asking customer to install two routers, with one in AP mode.  Most of us want, as stated on this thread states, one router and one modem/ONT.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 15
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I am using a TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM in bridge mode. No matter what I do I can only get 350mbps down on a wired PC that gets 960mbps when plugged directly into the modem. I have done the factory reset on the Orbi, restarted modem, and restarted PC and still getting same results.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you open up a ticket here and get NG support review your system. I would check on a RMA:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

I am using a TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM in bridge mode. No matter what I do I can only get 350mbps down on a wired PC that gets 960mbps when plugged directly into the modem. I have done the factory reset on the Orbi, restarted modem, and restarted PC and still getting same results.

Message 13 of 15
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

My issue is resolved. Turned out to be a problem with xfinity. After rebooting everything and plugging PC directly into modem i was only getting 350Mbps from modem. After an hour on the phone they admitted my speed was wrong. They did something, i lost internet for a few min and it came up. I now get 950Mbps on my wired PCs through the Orbi. All is good. Make sure to check speed going in!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Seems that you and others are noticing issues with the ISP services as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...

Glad they got it fixed. Please mark your thread Solved so others will know. 

Enjoy now. 

@MidTnMike41 wrote:

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7