Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download speed

jbaxter71
Aspirant

Download speed

I use spectrum for home wifi and I get 400mb download speed to the modem. My Orbi is only getting 100mb, can I make adjustments to my orbi to get the full 400mb download potential or do I need to get a different router?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Download speed

@jbaxter71 wrote:

I use spectrum for home wifi and I get 400mb download speed to the modem. My Orbi is only getting 100mb, can I make adjustments to my orbi to get the full 400mb download potential or do I need to get a different router?

need more info...modem type...has your system/network ever worked to your standards?  

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing with a wired or wireless device? Wired is preferred to speed test. Speed test with a PC and OOklas installable speed test app. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@jbaxter71 wrote:

Message 3 of 9
jbaxter71
Aspirant

day 1 I was seeing 400mb download. Within a couple days it went to 100mb and has stayed there ever since. The modem from Spectrum seems to be a generic modem. On the back it says Hiltron. 

Message 4 of 9
jbaxter71
Aspirant

What Firmware is currently loaded? V2.3.1.60
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Hiltron 

Are you speed testing with a wired or wireless device? wired to the modem I get 400mb when testing from Orbi to a laptop I get 100mb What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 200 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 45 ft

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power OFF of both Modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on with the modem first then RBR been performed? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

There a model# of the Hitron modem? Were just checking to see if the modem has a built in router or not. 

@jbaxter71 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded? V2.3.1.60
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Hiltron 

Are you speed testing with a wired or wireless device? wired to the modem I get 400mb when testing from Orbi to a laptop I get 100mb What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 200 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 45 ft

Message 6 of 9
jbaxter71
Aspirant

Yes, I have powered off both units. 

No other wifi neighbors.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know about the model# of the ISP modem. 

Have you tried a power OFF of the ISP modem. Factory reset the RBR. Power ON the modem and let it sync. Walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and leave the RBS off. After the RBR is setup, with out enableing QoS, Traffic Meter or any Access Controls, run a speed test from a wired PC the the speed test app? 

Message 8 of 9

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know about the model# of the ISP modem. 

Come on @jbaxter71. Be a sport answer that question. Three times now and no answer.

The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back? Does it also do wifi?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It could even explain the problem you see.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7