Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drastically reduced internet speed at night (RBR50)

AngelicRocker
Aspirant

Drastically reduced internet speed at night (RBR50)

So I bought and installed my Orbi system in January 2020 and loved it immediately, solved nearly all of my household's internet issues at the time. Cut to September 2020 and we have a Spectrum technician out who is able to replace some interior cable and the PoE to solve our remaining issues entirely. Part of that September solution involved replacing the Spectrum-issued modem with a Netgear CM600, attached to the Orbi RBR50 router base.

This past week, however, internet speed has become drastically reduced in the evenings only. Our plan is 200mbps down, and at it's worst point this week we're getting speeds in the neighborhood of 1-5mbps down (our 10mbps upload has not been affected at all during this time).

I've gone through every configuration of testing I can think of swapping ethernet cables around, testing direct ethernet connection to the modem, etc, and in 3/4 tests, direct connection modem to PC works completely normally. Most tests using the Orbi again test normally for about 5 minutes after rebooting the modem, then return to the super slow speed.

I updated the Orbi firmware to v2.5.2.4 last night (via the app) thinking it may help, but it didn't. 

I'm at a loss for ideas at this point and very much hoping someone here can help.

Thank you

Model: CM600|CM600 High Speed Cable Modem, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Drastically reduced internet speed at night (RBR50)

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

V4 isn't the mode recent:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

You can try this or I would downgrade to v16. What I currently use on my RBK50 series. 

Message 2 of 11
AngelicRocker
Aspirant

Just did a 1 minute power off on the modem and router and manually updated the router to v2.7.1.60. Have not done another power cycle after update (only the reboot it did itself after installing) nor have I done a full factory reset (trying to avoid that if at all possible). 

Again after rebooting both the wired and wireless signals test properly though I'm expecting it to drop any minute.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the reset if it happens...

Message 4 of 11
vajim
Master

What's happening at night in your house?  More people online?  Streaming movies, gaming,etc ? 

Evenings are typical high use times across neighborhood connections 

slow down as In buffering?

it's also possible someone has gained access to your network.  Change your password 

Message 5 of 11
AngelicRocker
Aspirant

Factory reset done. Unfortuntately made zero difference.

Message 6 of 11
AngelicRocker
Aspirant

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. This problem only started 6 days ago and was never an issue before then. Nobody in the house is doing anything different than they are throughout the day either. 

Slow down as in my 200mbps ISP plan that normally reports anywhere from 180mbps to 250mbps on both wired and wifi connections drops and reports anywhere from 600kbps to 10mbps. Only starting around 5 or 6 PM and lasting usually all night with some pockets of full download speed splashed in.

As far as someone gaining access to the network, the Orbi app isn't reporting any unknown devices connected.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has the ISP modem or ONT been powered OFF for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Could have yoru FW been updated 6 days ago if you recall? 

@AngelicRocker wrote:

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed. This problem only started 6 days ago and was never an issue before then. Nobody in the house is doing anything different than they are throughout the day either. 

Slow down as in my 200mbps ISP plan that normally reports anywhere from 180mbps to 250mbps on both wired and wifi connections drops and reports anywhere from 600kbps to 10mbps. Only starting around 5 or 6 PM and lasting usually all night with some pockets of full download speed splashed in.

As far as someone gaining access to the network, the Orbi app isn't reporting any unknown devices connected.

Message 8 of 11
AngelicRocker
Aspirant

I am not using an ISP modem. It's a Netgear CM600 connected to the Orbi.

It has been power cycled multiple times while testing this issue over the last few days. 3/4 tests connecting a PC directly to the modem via ethernet have reported full download speed too.

I have an ISP appointment in just under 2 weeks (unfortunately the soonest they had available), but I will note all of that to ask them specifically to check.

Message 9 of 11
AngelicRocker
Aspirant

Update: As of this morning, internet speed was testing fine, tried to download a game, got about 10GB down in ~12 minutes, and then it completely slowed down again. Reporting 5mbps or less in the morning now, so the issue is not occurring at night only anymore.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So try upgrading to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Or if that still fails, try v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

I would factory reset and setup from scratch after the FW is applied. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7