Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dropped WiFi calls on iPhone X iOS 12 ATT with Orbi RBR50

Andrew1977
Guide

Dropped WiFi calls on iPhone X iOS 12 ATT with Orbi RBR50

I’m experiencing dropped WiFi calls with my iPhone X.  The calls will typically last only a few seconds before the call fails.  I had been using the WiFi calling on my Orbi RBR50 and 1 satellite for over a year with no problems.

I believe the issue is related to iOS 12 and Orbi since I do not have any WiFi calling issues when I connect my iPhone to the WiFi service on my ATT Uverse router and I can make WiFi calls on other networks away from my home.  Maybe I need to adjust a setting in Orbi that did not require that setting prior to iOS 12. 

I have tried the following with no resolution:

• Reset and wiped my iPhone
  • Current version of Orbi firmware is: 2.2.1.210 and tried rolling back to several different versions of firmware and calls are still dropped
  • Put iPhone in airplane mode and tested calls
  • Skype calls work fine
  • Not using any parental controls and I have not changed any settings in Orbi since intial setup over a year ago, only firmware upgrades have happened which is why I did try several older versions of firmware.
  • Orbi sits in DMZ of ATT Uverse router. I had ATT technician onsite to check everything and they found no issues
  • Tried disabling SIP ALG setting based on threads I found in Orbi boards here on Netgear.  Also tried setting NAT Filtering to “open” from secure.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

The wifi on the ISP modem is disabled? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

If Skype calls are working and normal phone calls are not, kind of points to possible problem with iOS. I have hear others mention iOS 12 having issue. 

Message 2 of 29
ekhalil
Master

The only thing that I can think of is that your calls are being disconnected during handovers between:

1. Your router/satellite. The fact that the call drops quickly makes me think that the phone is jumping frequently between router and satellite. Please check this also in the attached devices menu in the Orbi app or in the GUI.

2. 2.4 and 5 GHz bands

3. Orbi and the ISP router wifi if it's enabled

Please check the following things that can contribute to the wifi calling disconnections caused by above roamings:

1. Is the ISP router wifi enabled? Is it using the same SSID as Orbi? Is it using same channels as Orbi?

2. Are the router and satellites close to each other? If they are and you can't get them further from each other then please try reducing the transmit power of the bands in the advanced wireless settings in Orbi

3. The issue can also be the change in IOS regarding 802.11r standard. Is "fast roaming" enabled in wireless advanced settings?

Message 3 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  

I checked the items you listed below and I still have the call drop issue.  

1 - my phone is not jumping between the router and satellite.  It connects to 5ghz on Satellite and maintains consistent connection never even dropping to 2.4 ghz.

2 - phone consistently connects to 5ghz, never uses 2.4ghz during the times I monitor it.

3 - ISP Router WiFi is turned off.  I only enabled it to test and see if my calls would drop while connected to ISP WiFi and the calls never drop on that WiFi.  

The router and satellite are about 25 feet from each other with several walls in between.  Their locations have not changed in the last year since I have had the Orbi.  

I do not have "fast roaming" enabled.  

Message 4 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

checked the items you suggested.  

* The ISP WiFi is disabled, I only enabled it to test to see if calls would drop if my iPHone was connected to the ISP WiFi and the calls do not drop on ISP WiFi.  This is why I think the issue is some sort of compatablity between iOS 12 and Orbi since my WiFi calls do work fine on other WiFi systems only have issue on Orbi.  

I'm using WPA2-PSK (AES)

I have about 20 WiFi neighbors around me, although since WiFi calls work from the ISP WiFi and the 20 WiFi neighbors have been around for the past year I think that can be ruled out unless there is a specific setting in Orbi that might need to be enabled for this many WiFi systems around me.  

I set channel to manual on 2.4ghz and changed the channel on 5ghz.  

IPv6, MIMO, daisy chain and fast roaming are disabled.  MIMO was enabled and I disabled it all the others were already disabled. 

I do think it is an iOS 12 with Orbi issue since iOS 12 WiFi calls work on other WiFi systems and it was working with Orbi prior to iOS 12.  I lean toward some setting tweak needed in Orbi and I have tried so many with no luck.  

Message 5 of 29
ekhalil
Master

- You mentioned that you don’t use any parental control. Have you been using Circle earlier? How did you deactivate it?
- You also mentioned that you tried using wifi calling while phone is in flight mode, can you please confirm that you get same issue in this case as well.
Message 6 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  

I checked the items you listed below and I still have the call drop issue.  

1 - my phone is not jumping between the router and satellite.  It connects to 5ghz on Satellite and maintains consistent connection never even dropping to 2.4 ghz. Turn off the satellite(s). Test the phone connected to the base router by itself. Any differences seen here? 

2 - phone consistently connects to 5ghz, never uses 2.4ghz during the times I monitor it.

3 - ISP Router WiFi is turned off.  I only enabled it to test and see if my calls would drop while connected to ISP WiFi and the calls never drop on that WiFi.  

The router and satellite are about 25 feet from each other with several walls in between.  Their locations have not changed in the last year since I have had the Orbi.  25 feet is a bit too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

I do not have "fast roaming" enabled.  

Message 7 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

Answers to your two questions below:

* Parental control, I never enabled any parental control including Circle.  

* with the phone in flight mode the calls continued to drop.  

Message 8 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Andrew1977 wrote:
  • ......Orbi sits in DMZ of ATT Uverse router. I had ATT technician onsite to check everything and they found no issues.........

For the sake of testing only, have you tried to remove the DMZ routing and see if that has something to do with your issue?

It's worth testing, although that you can't keep this setting as this will cause double routing and double NAT in your network.

What is the model of the router? there is may be a way to bridge the router instead.

Message 9 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

I turned off the satellite and continue to have same issue.  

Andrew

Message 10 of 29
ekhalil
Master

Have you had the chance to try changing the ATT router settings? Seems nothing wrong with Orbi’s settings and it might be something related to how the ISP router is setup towards Orbi.

Can you please try to remove the DMZ routing and see if that has something to do with your issue?

It's worth testing, although that you can't keep this setting as this will cause double routing and double NAT in your network.

What is the model of the router? there is may be a way to bridge the router instead. 

Message 11 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

I haven't tried removing DMZ yet, was concerned that might break something.  I was hoping there was a backup setting in this ISP router so I could just do a restore if something goes wrong.  I'll make note of settings and then make the DMZ change and post the results here. 

The make and model of the ISP router is:  Pacer 5268AC

Message 12 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

Removing the Orbi from DMZ FIXED the issue.  

What I don't understand is why it is now suddenly an issue, must be iOS12 then.  

Message 13 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have reported issues with iOS 12 before here and other forums. 

Also known issues with your model modem as well. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191

Glad that removing the Orbi from the DMZ fixed it. DMZ shouldn't be effecting anything with whats put in it. If it is, then the ISP or Modem Mfr need to review this. Something I would inform the Mfr of. 

Be sure to mark this thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Message 14 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Great that removing the DMZ solved the Wifi calling issue. I went through the manual of your ISP router. Two things that might caused DMZPlus configuration not to completely work:

1. The DHCP addresses assigned to the DMZ port should be marked as public addresses. Please check if that is done.

IMG_0394.png

2. There should be a reserved IP address for Orbi in the ISP router with no firewalls enabled

IMG_0395.png

Message 15 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

I placed the Orbi back into DMZ (having it outside the DMZ definetly not desired as you indicated would happen I ended up with double NAT and then some applications I tried to use would no longer work).  

I  followed your instructions.  For the first step the router would not let me modify the field for public/private IP addresses the drop down box only offered private.  However, when I validated the data from step 2 of your instructions it looks like when I placed the Orbi into the DMZ zone the router automatically assigned the Orbi the public IP address for the ISP router (mapping it) and is shows firewall disabled.  I included a screenshot of this config setting from the router.  Based on what I see I believe the router is configured to achieve the desired configuration you were wanting me to setup.

I did try another call again and as expected the call failed.  

Thanks for all your assistance in troubleshooting this issue.   

Message 16 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact the Mfr of the modem and ask them about this and see if they might have any information in regards to DMZ and placing routers into the DMZ and let them know the differences your seeing with the iPhone and wifi calls. 

@Andrew1977 wrote:

I placed the Orbi back into DMZ (having it outside the DMZ definetly not desired as you indicated would happen I ended up with double NAT and then some applications I tried to use would no longer work).  

I  followed your instructions.  For the first step the router would not let me modify the field for public/private IP addresses the drop down box only offered private.  However, when I validated the data from step 2 of your instructions it looks like when I placed the Orbi into the DMZ zone the router automatically assigned the Orbi the public IP address for the ISP router (mapping it) and is shows firewall disabled.  I included a screenshot of this config setting from the router.  Based on what I see I believe the router is configured to achieve the desired configuration you were wanting me to setup.

I did try another call again and as expected the call failed.  

Thanks for all your assistance in troubleshooting this issue.   

Message 17 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

Thanks, I had to place the Orbi back into DMZ as having it outside the DMZ was impacting applications I use, so my issue is not resolved.  I definately have clearer picture of why it is not working but I suspect the solution will require a software update from either Pacer, Orbi or Apple  and who knows if that wil ever happen.  

I read Apple is close to releasing iOS 12.1.3 soon, maybe that will offer a fix.   

Message 18 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Thanks, I had to place the Orbi back into DMZ as having it outside the DMZ was impacting applications I use, so my issue is not resolved.  I definately have clearer picture of why it is not working but I suspect the solution will require a software update from either Pacer, Orbi or Apple  and who knows if that wil ever happen.  

I read Apple is close to releasing iOS 12.1.3 soon, maybe that will offer a fix.   

Meanwhile, is placing Orbi in AP Mode an option for you? If yes then you can remove the DMZ routing in the Pace 5268AC and then set Orbi in AP mode.

Message 19 of 29
Andrew1977
Guide

I just saw your last post after I did previous reply.  I'll reach out to Pacer and see what they say!

Furrye38 wrote:

You might contact the Mfr of the modem and ask them about this and see if they might have any information in regards to DMZ and placing routers into the DMZ and let them know the differences your seeing with the iPhone and wifi calls.  

Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know if they respond with anything. 

You might try AP mode with the Orbi as suggested and use the ISP Modem as your main host router. Then you don't need to use the DMZ on the modem. 

@Andrew1977 wrote:

I just saw your last post after I did previous reply.  I'll reach out to Pacer and see what they say!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 21 of 29
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Hello.  The manufacturer is PACE for the 5268AC.  The latest firmware for that device is badly broken for DMZ+.  I'm not sure if that's the root cause but the workaround offered by ATT was to actually disable DMZ+ until updated firmware is released.  You can search ATT forum and you can't miss the thread.  Verrrry long.  The workaround is marked as the solution.

Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191
Modem FW may have broke good speeds between the modem and Orbi in router mode:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Speed-Throttling-Wired-and-Wireless/td-p/1673291/jump-to...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-I-fixed-our-intermittent-internet-connectivity-problems-wi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1676934/...

@gr8sho wrote:

@Andrew1977 wrote:

Hello.  The manufacturer is PACE for the 5268AC.  The latest firmware for that device is badly broken for DMZ+.  I'm not sure if that's the root cause but the workaround offered by ATT was to actually disable DMZ+ until updated firmware is released.  You can search ATT forum and you can't miss the thread.  Verrrry long.  The workaround is marked as the solution.

Message 23 of 29
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 

Here is the lurid history around the 5258AC and DMZ+.

The bottom line here is unless the user is able to follow the instructions to manually downgrade the firmware on the Pace unit, the RBK50 will never see the full benefit of a gigabit connection.  ATT will not push a downlevel version of the firmware and they will not mail a different gateway.  The only proven solution to get a different gateway is to have a technician deliver it.

Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, and it would be recommended to get into a different gateway OR something thats just a modem ONLY that doesn't have any router or wifi built in. 

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Here is the lurid history around the 5258AC and DMZ+.

The bottom line here is unless the user is able to follow the instructions to manually downgrade the firmware on the Pace unit, the RBK50 will never see the full benefit of a gigabit connection.  ATT will not push a downlevel version of the firmware and they will not mail a different gateway.  The only proven solution to get a different gateway is to have a technician deliver it.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7