Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dropped WiFi connection

manxdoc
Guide

Dropped WiFi connection

Hi everyone! My first post.

I have bought a kit consisting of a RBR50 router and 2 x RKS50 satellites.

At present I'm only using one of the satellites as tne 2nd is not needed right now.

The router in the study, the satellite about 9-10 meters away in the living room.

The house is or recent construction without thick walls.

Everything seems to be working well but every now and then the WiFi connection is lost.

There is no WiFi signal maybe for 30-90 secs then it magically re-appears without my intervention.

Same thing happens if I use the other satellite.

Troubleshooting: I reset the whole system and set it up again and it didn't help.

Changing the position of the satellite didn't help.

On the network map there is a green dot next to the router and an orange one next the satellite I am using (when everything works well).

Armor is off

Daisy-Chain topology is ticket

Implicit BEAMFORMING / MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming are all off.

Any advice please?

Thank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
manxdoc
Guide

Hi FURRYe38. Thank you for the very quick reply

The firmware of router and satellites has been updated. The router version is  V2.5.1.8

I am connected to Gigaclear and the provided modem is a DKT Comega (no further info on it)

Channels: 2.4GHz   Auto  (I tried changing this to 6 before without improvement)

5GHz  channel 36 

Neighbours (x2) I would say about 100 meters away, very rarely I can faintly receive the wifi signal of one of them.

WMM is enabled

I had MIMO and Beamforming enabled and I was having issues so tried without. WIll try re-enabling them again

Where do I find "IPv6 and 20/40Mhz Coexistence" please?

Thank you again

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Farther distance can be done as well. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
manxdoc
Guide

Hi FURRYe38. Thank you for the very quick reply

The firmware of router and satellites has been updated. The router version is  V2.5.1.8

I am connected to Gigaclear and the provided modem is a DKT Comega (no further info on it)

Channels: 2.4GHz   Auto  (I tried changing this to 6 before without improvement)

5GHz  channel 36 

Neighbours (x2) I would say about 100 meters away, very rarely I can faintly receive the wifi signal of one of them.

WMM is enabled

I had MIMO and Beamforming enabled and I was having issues so tried without. WIll try re-enabling them again

Where do I find "IPv6 and 20/40Mhz Coexistence" please?

Thank you again

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This DKT a fiber ONT? Have a built in router that you know of? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Try channel 11. 

Test the wifi connetion with the RBS turned OFF. 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 8
manxdoc
Guide

Hi

This DKT a fiber ONT? Have a built in router that you know of? 

The DKT Comega is a fiber modem.  https://dktcomega.com/product/juma-series/

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Yes

Try channel 11. 

Done

I unticked 20/40 coexistence: correct?

I moved the RBS to the first floor about 10-12 meters away. When I now check the "attached devices", the "Backhaul status" of the RBS

is reported as "Poor"

As the issue is intermittent and difficult to know if the connection is working well or we just missed it dropping at times, is there a way to tell by logging into the router?

Thanks once again.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

How has the system been working? 

Ok, of the status is POOR, try moving the RBS just a bit closer, 1 foot at a time until the status changes to GOOD. 

Message 6 of 8
manxdoc
Guide

Hi. I definitely think that the changes you suggested have helped. 

I will experiment further with the positioning of the RBS to the router.

Thank you very much for your good advice, really appreciated!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hope it keeps working well for you. Mark your thread as solve when you think it works fully so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7