Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropped devices

GG260
Initiate

Dropped devices

Bought a new unit with satellite 2 weeks ago. Hook up was pretty simple. First of all, I’d like to be able to choose which bandwidth each device uses. It appears it auto senses but I’d rather have that choice myself. 

Secondly, I have 3 devices that consistently drop the WiFi connection; security camera, TCL tv and my iPad Pro. The router is literally less than 1 foot from camera and iPad and 8 ft from the tv. Every morning I have to set up a new connection on my tv, when my iPad isn’t in use, it loses connection and my camera drops the connection 60 seconds after use. 

My old TP Link router never had this issue. Throughput was weak but never dropped connections like the Orbi. 

Right now im not happy with this router.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Dropped devices

Common issues since the release of 1.10.x in the early summer.  System was solid prior to that for months and months.

Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

The following factors might be contributing to what you are seeing:

1) iOS devices are programmed to power-off WiFi 30 seconds after the screen goes dark.  This is normal. You can test this by pinging your device from another device.  You will see the pings stop 30 seconds after the screen goes off.  What might be abnormal in your case is how long it takes the iPad to reconnect, as this should happen very quickly. You could try forgetting the Orbi WiFi connection on your iPad and re-adding it.

2) Many TVs (including the ones I own) will power off the network connection when the TV is OFF. In the case of my Panasonic TV, this applies to both WiFi and wired connections.  In my case, the only solution is to wait 10-15 seconds after powering the TV ON before trying to access any TV apps that use Internet.  For example, if I access VieraCast sooner than that, the TV asks me to go throught the entire network setup procedure, even though the TV already has the SSID and password stored in the settings.

Message 3 of 4
GG260
Initiate

Thanks but it’s dropping the iPad connection is dropping while in use

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7