Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dropped internet

gigles13
Tutor

Dropped internet

I have the RBR50 and RBS50. I've been having dropped internet a lot ever since I fully updated the firmware for both - probably the last 2-3 months.

These are the things I've done to rectify this:

Turned on and off. Reset settings to factory default. Checked my router and found that all the upload channels weren't filled - got the ISP to fix that (I thought this was the issue, but the dropped internet still happens). Made sure all cables were tight, etc. Even my ethernet devices drop internet.

I've been reading the firmware breaks the mesh system and this is a common occurance.

Any ideas on what to do? Do I need to roll back to an earlier firmware? If so, anybody know which one?

Edited to add: While I have dropped service on my phone or even computers/laptops/camera devices/everything in my house, 9 times out of 10 my fire stick somehow continues to keep playing whatever I have on.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 7
gigles13
Tutor

Firmware: I just downgraded to v2.3.5.30. Still had dropped internet - had to restart the modem and router.

I winded up changing a few settings to fiddle with the signal strength of the 2.4 and 5ghz bands. I moved the 2.4ghz from auto to channel 1. I left the 5ghz band at 48 because the others dropped the signal too much.

I enabled Implicit Beamforming and MU-MIMO. Fast Roaming always disabled. Daisy-chain is enabled (I have 1 satellite but changing settings alittle at a time). Guest network is still enabled. Never had Armor. CTS is already at 2347. DIsabled the 20/40 coexistence. Preamble is currently on auto.

The modem is a Netgear CM600.

ISP already checked everything before and everything was good on their end. 

Sq footage of home is probably around 3000.

Not sure of distance between router and satellite, but more than 30 feet. It's technically underneath it in the basement. 

There's some wifi neighbors nearby, but their signal strength is in the -80/-90's. Probably around 4-5 of them.

I went to that link you sent and that's how I started to enable/disable and change the channels. Going to see if what I did has helped so far.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR or RBS in the basement?

When internet drops, does the top ring LED on the RBR turn on PINK any? 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS, RBR and ISP Modem for 1 mintute. Then turn ON the modem then RBR. Leave the RBS OFF. 

Do both wired and wireless devices not get any internet when this happens? 

Message 4 of 7
gigles13
Tutor

Alright. Still having dropped internet through the orbi. Even the fire stick is having problems, haha.

I have noticed that sometimes the ethernet works and the wifi doesn't. Sometimes neither work. My ethernet devices are connected to the satellite.

Message 5 of 7
gigles13
Tutor

RBR turns pink. As does the RBS. Sometimes, I have seen it with no light.

I do get internet when I turn off everything and restart it. If I give it about a half hour or so, I start getting dropped signals again.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Pink means the RBR has lost connection with the modem and or the modem isn't working right or it also has lost it's connection with the ISP services. 

Swap out LAN cables between the RBR and modem. 

Test the modem with a wired PC connected to the modem with out the RBR connected to see if PC sees any problems.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7