Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Dropped packets on RBR40

zafkir
Aspirant

Dropped packets on RBR40

I have tried taking all satelites offline, changing the settings to Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6.  I've also tried firmware versions 2.0.0.56 and 2.1.4.10

Packets are regularly delayed by > 2 seconds or time out entirely.  

I have my device in AP mode, connected via lan to my fios quantum gateway, with all of the wifi networks turned off on the the verizon router.

Dropped.png

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dropped packets on RBR40

What are you pings if you connect your test PC to the gateway?

What are the results if you ping the Orbi router in AP mode?

Ensure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 recommended.

After updating FW, try a factory reset of the router and set up from scratch then run your ping tests...

Message 2 of 10
budy
Luminary

@zafkir wrote:

I have tried taking all satelites offline, changing the settings to Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6.  I've also tried firmware versions 2.0.0.56 and 2.1.4.10

Packets are regularly delayed by > 2 seconds or time out entirely.  

I have my device in AP mode, connected via lan to my fios quantum gateway, with all of the wifi networks turned off on the the verizon router.

Dropped.png

Well… that picture does not provide a lot of information. What about the ping summary. Randomly dropped packets are not uncommon on the internet. In fact tcp has been designed to cope with exactly that.

Instead of trying to ping something outside your network, better try pinging some reliable host on your internal network, best doing it via a wired connection. Then move to a wireless connection and you will start seeing packet loss, since WiFi is inherently unreliable.

The next approriate "target" would be the edge router of your ISP. Since your Orbi runs in AP mode, you maybe able to lookup the default gateway of your internet router and try to ping that gateway, as it is the last host before your packets are entering the internet…

Message 3 of 10
zafkir
Aspirant

fair... here is one where i'm pinging my orbi router which should be the fastest (ping results are almost identical when i ping the verizon router).  Several packets are in the 2900 range, which if i'm playing a game like overwatch is unacceptable.  With my stock verizon router i wasn't getting any times over ~100ms which was working fine and i never had response times hitting that number.  If this is to be expected with this system, then that's unacceptable for me, and i'll return it (not trying to be snarky, just honest)

Netgear.png

Message 4 of 10
zafkir
Aspirant

Another post on this forum describes how to create different 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs.  When i do this, I get no packet loss or latency over 100ms when connected to either ssid.  I'd rather not do this, as it eliminates some of the features and isn't officially supported.  Does this help troubleshoot or illustrate my issues?

Message 5 of 10
budy
Luminary

Aside from not being able to see the picture you posted in your previous comment, the behaviour you're describing could actually be caused by the bandsteering protocol of the Orbi. However, this would mean, that your client would have to switch its WiFi connection while pinging - have you checked that?

When I'm pinging Google's 8.8.8.8, I am getting a pretty good result:

64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=77 ttl=59 time=11.413 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=78 ttl=59 time=12.679 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=79 ttl=59 time=11.883 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=80 ttl=59 time=10.256 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
81 packets transmitted, 81 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.784/11.959/15.560/1.050 ms

And this is over the WiFi of my RBR40. Ping times over LAN will be some ms less…

Message 6 of 10
zafkir
Aspirant

I reverted to a single ssid, and I ran netsh wlan show interfaces for a few minutes, around the ping spikes and this is what i got everytime (with the signal strength changing slightly)

C:\Users\Dave>netsh wlan show interfaces

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi
    Description            : Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    GUID                   : 96ac869a-c0be-47ba-91ac-3aa51bcc4ac6
    Physical address       : e8:4e:06:51:e4:32
    State                  : connected
    SSID                   : GoHokies
    BSSID                  : 8c:3b:ad:fb:26:b7
    Network type           : Infrastructure
    Radio type             : 802.11ac
    Authentication         : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher                 : CCMP
    Connection mode        : Profile
    Channel                : 48
    Receive rate (Mbps)    : 54
    Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 390
    Signal                 : 88%
    Profile                : GoHokies

Hosted network status  : Not available

It appears that since teh channel is 54 every time... it's always on 5ghz.   So it doesn't appear to be switching.

Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@zafkir wrote:

I reverted to a single ssid, and I ran netsh wlan show interfaces for a few minutes, around the ping spikes and this is what i got everytime (with the signal strength changing slightly)

C:\Users\Dave>netsh wlan show interfaces

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi
    Description            : Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    GUID                   : 96ac869a-c0be-47ba-91ac-3aa51bcc4ac6
    Physical address       : e8:4e:06:51:e4:32
    State                  : connected
    SSID                   : GoHokies
    BSSID                  : 8c:3b:ad:fb:26:b7
    Network type           : Infrastructure
    Radio type             : 802.11ac
    Authentication         : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher                 : CCMP
    Connection mode        : Profile
    Channel                : 48
    Receive rate (Mbps)    : 54
    Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 390
    Signal                 : 88%
    Profile                : GoHokies

Hosted network status  : Not available

It appears that since teh channel is 54 every time... it's always on 5ghz.   So it doesn't appear to be switching.

The channel shown above is 48, so I think that's what you meant.  All satellites use the same channel, so you cannot tell if your computer was switching between satellites just by looking at the channel.

I think your printout shows your problem though.  Your recevie rate is only 54 MBps.  That's horrible for an 802.11ac adapter.  You need maximum link rate for top performance.  You must have a very poor signal where you are using your computer.  That would explain the long ping times and dropped packets.

Move your computer to a location where you get a receive rate of 866 (or 450 or 300 or whatever the max you computer supports.) Then repeat the tests.

Looks like you have a USB WiFi adapter.  You might need to get a better adapter, move your satellites, move your computer, or all three. 

Message 8 of 10
budy
Luminary

Have you checked the same pings over a LAN connection?

Message 9 of 10
budy
Luminary

If the host is roaming between different APs, the BSSID will change to the MAC address of that AP. You can get those from your RBR's web page, where the connected devices are listed.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7