Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropping Connection

klp8466
Guide

Dropping Connection

My model number is not listed here.  Assuming, that's because I bought the router/satellite at Costco 'Orbi Mini RBR20 AC2200'.   First night and everything dropped several times and I decided to go back to old router.   Honestly, not sure what to do. I heard this was a great option, but so far within two hours of using it there has been nothing great about it.  Any recommendations, would be greatly appreciated.  If its to take the product back please let me know. Thank you so much!

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Dropping Connection

you need to provide more info about your setup

modem?

placement?

stuff like that....

Message 2 of 12
klp8466
Guide

I have TWC/Spectrum ARRIS TG1672G 300 Mbps. We had a netgear and the only issue I had was our sons PS4 after years of using it and everything else works fine.  The netgear we have has less coverage then the Orbi Mini. So I was thinking if we upgraded perhaps it would work and it's actually worse, as it drops everything. So I'm sure something is not set up right.  The orbi router we had on the main level of our home as that is where most of us use your computers and then the satellite in the basement for the gaming systems.  The router would go white then at somepoint show no color and the sateltte would show light blue and lose its color as well. I assumed that was due to dropping the connection. 

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

no color is good (if at one point it was blue).  it basically means that it's running and all is well.

Message 4 of 12
klp8466
Guide

Ok thank you, now I just need to figure out why it drops every hour....

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

to add....the router should pulse white then go out.

the sat(s) should pulse white, then may go pink....but should end up blue....then go out.

Message 6 of 12
klp8466
Guide

Yes, it did all that. Was running good and then after that started dropping the connection on the main level and basement.  So somethings not right for it to be dropping. I will call tonight and see if there is something in the settings.  I would think since I just set it up last night it would not be the settings, but who knows.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

the next thing to consider is what firmware version are you running?

Lots of discussions here as to the problems NG has had with firmware.

Message 8 of 12
klp8466
Guide

Ok, I will look into that. Thank you

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem has a built in router already. You use use the modem in router mode with the orbi router, however you need to either use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi routers IP address and disable all wireless ON the modem, or use the Orbi router in AP mode with the ISP modem. Prefered would be to have the ISP modem briged fully then use the Orbi router in router mode.

When there is no LED colors showing, things are good.

Things to try also,

Set manual channels to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Disable MIMO, Daisy chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6.

What is the distances between the router and satellite(s). Ft?

Suggestions for you.

@klp8466 wrote:

I have TWC/Spectrum ARRIS TG1672G 300 Mbps. We had a netgear and the only issue I had was our sons PS4 after years of using it and everything else works fine.  The netgear we have has less coverage then the Orbi Mini. So I was thinking if we upgraded perhaps it would work and it's actually worse, as it drops everything. So I'm sure something is not set up right.  The orbi router we had on the main level of our home as that is where most of us use your computers and then the satellite in the basement for the gaming systems.  The router would go white then at somepoint show no color and the sateltte would show light blue and lose its color as well. I assumed that was due to dropping the connection. 

Message 10 of 12
klp8466
Guide

Thank you very much for all this information!  I will let you know how it works out.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Here to help out. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements