Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: During WAN Outage no connectivity to LAN

chrislfc11
Aspirant

During WAN Outage no connectivity to LAN

I recently experienced a WAN outage from my ISP, during this time ORBI was disconnected from the internet. My device (cell phone) showed connected to my Orbi router and LAN network but i could not navigate within my LAN. Orbi acted like I had no connectivity to my internal network. I could not connect to my router, NAS or any devices on my internal network. 

Just because my WAN was down i would not expect my LAN connectivity to be down too. 

Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Very Odd. You should have access to the routers UI and LAN side resources.

What FW version are you using?

How is the Orbi setup? Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Message 2 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

Modem > RBR50 (Router Mode) > RBR50 Satellite (Backhaul Wifi). 

Modem: Cisco DPC3010

I have a couple devices hardwired from the router such as xBox and NAS. I could not connect to my NAS via the NAS IP or my NAS Apps. 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the router and satellite(s)?

Try this again, disconnect the cable from the yellow port in back of the router. Does same thing happen? Connect a wired lan cable PC to the back of the router and navigate to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser...

Message 4 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

Firmware is 2.1.4.10, I am aware a new version of 2.1.4.16 is out, I will need to update as soon as i can. 

I can run through that troubleshooting process later, right now I need my network online while I work from home. 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the network up and running now? Do you have ISP services?

When you do update, do the satellite first then the router. I recommend upgrading FW manually by downloading the FW file and using IE11 or FF browsers with one wire connected PC with the satellite then the router.

Message 6 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

Yes ISP services were returned when i woke up this morning and LAN connectivity is back. 

Ill run through the upgrade process via the methods stated later this evening. 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

AFter you upgrade, try unplugging the WAN cable to the router from the modem and see if the same thing happens, if so, do a full ERASE on the router, then set up from scratch. Keep us posted...

Message 8 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

Sure I can do that

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully something will fix this. Others haven't reported anything like this...

I know when I was setting up my friends RBK50, I had access to the routers web page while I was setting it up, even with out the modem connected...

One thing you can do even if you do fix this, get you a 1Gb Non managed switch to put in behind the router. These are good to have anyways, then connect up most of your wired devices to it. Regardless of the modem or router operations, you'll have network access to resources thru the switch. I use a 24port behind mine, Also have a couple of others daisy chained.

Message 10 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

While working i just lost Wifi Connectivity. On my workstation that is hardwired via Power Over Ethernet i was able to connect to the Router web page. Under Advanced setting i checked the Router Status, I click on Statistics of the Internet port and i see uptime of my LAN and WLAN as 34 days... but my WAN port shots 6 minutes and my LAN3 port shows 11 minutes. 

Is the Routers WAN port dropping connections too?  Also causing my Wifi to drop for some reason. 

Message 11 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

I have a slower 5 port switch behind the router that i use to connect devices that dont need the high speeds such as Sonos, etc. But in order to connect to them i would have to go through the router either Wifi or hardwired, which i also could not connect to the devices on the switch. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of this 5 port switch? I presum 100mb is it's max? I would get into a 1Gb swtich so you dont have a bottle neck. Regardless of the devices, you want to maintain 1000Mb between a router and switch. Anything after the switch, let the devices and switch set the speed.

Something seems to be causing the router to reboot or stop.

What channels are you using? Auto or manual? Manual is preferred, 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Any wireless neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Any of your devices broadcasting it's own wifi by chance? I know that Sonos may have it's own.

Message 13 of 15
chrislfc11
Aspirant

Ill have to get the switch model later but i believe its 100Mb

I am using two networks guest and admin. 

Admin 2.4Hgz = Auto

Admin 5Ghz = 48

I just lost Wifi connection again on my Admin so i switched to my guest network and i am able to get internet connectivity again. My  desktop which is hardwired via Power over Ethernet was showing a warning sign that i had no network but i was able to connect to the Netgear admin page. 

To add... my Samsung Smarthing Hub is connected directly to the Orbi Satellite and the Satellite is using its Wifi for backhaul keeps disconnecting. It would seem like the WAN keeps going down, but I am still stumped as to Wifi keeps dropping and i cant connect to the LAN and switching Wifi guest/admin sometimes seems to bring everything back. 

Strange. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets do a full reset on the router and set up from scratch when you get time.

This time set up manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz...

Also, what is the distance between the satellite and base router?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7