Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dynamic DNS hostname registration failure when using dyn.com

markaustin
Guide

Dynamic DNS hostname registration failure when using dyn.com

Just purchased an Orbi to replace my previous gen Netgear Router.  I manually entered all the same settings (that were applicable) from the old router.  However, DDNS does not seem to work whatsoever.  I know that I have the correct username, password, and hostname.  Yet, when I click on 'Show Status' - I get the error "No update action.  There is no IP address on the Internet port."  Yet, I do in fact have a WAN address.  My modem is in bridge mode and is passing the public IP perfectly fine.

Additionally, when I go to Administration -> Logs, I just see row after row of "[Dynamic DNS] host name blahblah.dyndns.org registration failure <datetime>"

Just to make sure I didn't screw something up, I plugged my old router back in and the DDNS registered perfectly fine.  I suspect that the www.dyn.com updater option on the Orbi is broken.

Other notes:

I've tried Chrome, Edge, and Firefox browsers

I'm on the latest 1.4.0.34 firmware

Everything else seems to be working fine except RDP is blocked on the local network for some reason.

Side question - does anyone know what the difference between the RBR50 and RBK50 might be?  I have the RBR50, but the model field in this forum will only allow me to select RBK50...

Thank you!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 19
Random12
Apprentice

I tried using the Netgear option for Dynamic DNS failed, I had to use the noip option. I didn't expirement with other options. 

I can help with the second part of the question, RBK50 I think is the "kit" (i.e. Router and Satellite together). 

Message 2 of 19
markaustin
Guide

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't tried the NETGEAR or noip options as I already have a paid account with dyn.  I guess I could at least try the trial period for noip...  In any case, this is the first of 3 netgear routers that I've owned that doesn't have a functioning DDNS with dyn.com.

Message 3 of 19
Budlyapi
Initiate

Yep. Dyn.com fail for me too.

Hopefully a firmware fix soon.
Message 4 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

I can confirm unfortunatley the same happens to me.

I have a paid DynDns account and my previous router usign the same login details was able to update the dynamic hostname with no problems. I upgraded to the Netgear Orbi recently and while the router is working good there is a bug int the Dynamic DNS update for www.dyndsn.com.

Firstly, when I go under Advanced options - Advanced - Dynamic DNS enter all the details and then hit "Show Status" I get:

No update action. There is no IP address on the Internet port.

This is very obvious not right as I am connected to the Internet and there is an IP address on the Internet port.

Second, if I look into the Advanced - Administration - Logs there is the specific error message form the logs:

[Dynamic DNS] host name <hostname> registeration failure, Sunday, January 29, 2017 17:45:26

So something is screwed up with the Dynamic DNS update in the Netgear Orbi. Netgear when can we get a fix for simple feature?

Message 5 of 19
deleonju
Initiate

I have exactly the same problem. 

Message 6 of 19
Makiesq
Initiate

Count me as having the exact same problem.  Have both errors:

No update action. There is no IP address on the Internet port.

as well as a log full of

[Dynamic DNS] host name *********.com registeration failure, Tuesday, January 31, 2017 21:55:02

Luckily my ip address has not changed recently, so I have not lost connection yet as Dyn remembers where I am.

Message 7 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

I just tried to log this with Netgear support via the my Support section for registered products and after I filled out all the details and hit submit to create a support ticket I get this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 08.55.55.png

Really Netgear? A working webpage to submit support issues please! It's 2017!

Message 8 of 19
Mikey94025
Hero

FYI -- I use the free Netgear DDNS (mynetgear.com) and the Orbi advanced setup / dynamic dns registration appears to work correctly (i.e., automatic updating).

Message 9 of 19
markaustin
Guide

Mikey97025, right, but we're not talking about netgear DDNS.  This is specifically an issue with dyndns.

Message 10 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

Since DynDNS is not working I looked at the Netgear DDNS and NO-IP options as suggested by Mikey94025 until this is fixed.

It looks like the Netgear DDNS is a re-branded version of NO-IP. After setting up Netgear DDNS I could setup NO-IP as it told me my username (email) already exist but I have never used NO-IP before as far as I can recall.

Issue now is it requires email activiation for your account and I have tried about 10 times to resend the activation email but it never arrives. Yes I checked the SPAM folder, it's just not coming in.

So at the moment I am kind of stuck. DynDNS not working, Netgear DDNS & NO-IP I can't get activation email and I can't submit a support ticket to Netgear!

Sometimes it just all comes to together the right way doesn't it!

Message 11 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello anschmid

You may have to go to the NO-Ip website and make the account there and then try it.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 19
Budlyapi
Initiate

DarrenM. . .

Some of us "working professionals" have paid subscription accounts at Dyn.

So rather than telling us to abandon infrastructure that's been in place for years, how about delivering the firmware update that's going to make a listed feature of a GREAT wifi product work?

Please.

Message 13 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

Darren, thanks!

I actually tried that and went to NO-IP website. It recognizes that there is an account (email) and my password works too but once I get in it tells me the account has never been activated and only allows me to resend the activation email which as before never shows up?

Is there anything special about the Netgear NO-IP accounts that would prevent the activation email to be send out or is this a NO-IP problem?

Message 14 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

Darren, thanks!

I actually tried that and went to NO-IP website. It recognizes that there is an account (email) and my password works too but once I get in it tells me the account has never been activated and only allows me to resend the activation email which as before never shows up?

Is there anything special about the Netgear NO-IP accounts that would prevent the activation email to be send out or is this a NO-IP problem?

Message 15 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello anschmid 

Not that I am aware of it should send one to you may want to ticket No-Ip support to help with that.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 19
JMU1998
Luminary

can please notify Netgear Engineering about the DynDNS issue so they can get a fix in the firmware for it. I also have a paid subscription and would like to use like others have mentioned.

Message 17 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JMU1998

I did check with engineering and they are fixing the issues DYNDNS accounts not working in the next firmware which is coming soon.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 19
anschmid
Apprentice

DarrenM, I just went to open a support ticket with NO-IP and found this on their open a ticket page:

We're currently experiencing issues with icloud.com and me.com receiving emails. If you have not received your email please contact our Customer Success team and they will be glad to assist you.

I guess that explains it for me as I am using iCloud. Hope they can solve it soon!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7