Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EERO Gen 2 Vs Orbi - What’s the Fastest WiFi Mesh System? TheWirecutter.com

RogerSC
Virtuoso

@tagteam wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

...The Orbi auto-flashes the latest firmware eventually. It may take several days, but it will happen...

If there is one thing I could change about the system, that would be it = allow users to disable firmware auto-updates. I imagine that would be a relatively simple option to add to the firmware and the default could be set to "enable".

Trying something different here...my "main" wired-only router is an R7800, and the Orbi is in AP mode. I've put dd-wrt firmware on the R7800, and have blocked "downloads.netgear.com". Waiting to see if that prevents auto-upgrade or not. I can't go to downloads.netgear.com from the Orbi, so I know that URL is blocked. In fact, to download firmware manually from Netgear, I have to remove the restriction in the R7800 firmware settings and then put it back when I'm done. So I think that there's a chance...

Message 26 of 36
tagteam
Virtuoso

Outstanding idea which, I suspect, will eliminate those auto-updates.

Regardless, Netgear needs to include a "disable" option since many users, including myself, have Orbi configured as a router.

Message 27 of 36
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@tagteam wrote:

Outstanding idea which, I suspect, will eliminate those auto-updates.

Regardless, Netgear needs to include a "disable" option since many users, including myself, have Orbi configured as a router.

100% agree.

Message 28 of 36
tcaradonna
Guide

Orbi satellite drops connections all the time.  I came to this thread because I’m looking for a better alternative. 

Message 29 of 36
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

Keep in mind that the Orbi can Daisy chain. Some people don't realize that.

Message 30 of 36
SpineyJello
Guide

I was also searching for s better alternative to my orbi and was searching reviews for EERO and found this post. If you're considering Orbi, look at this post with the latest firmware that netgear auto update to everyone router. You cannot even downgrade to a stable firmware that you want, it will always update to the latest. My $350 orbi is a piece of crap that's acts as a book stand now.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1514629#M24470

Message 31 of 36
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@SpineyJellowrote:

I was also searching for s better alternative to my orbi and was searching reviews for EERO and found this post. If you're considering Orbi, look at this post with the latest firmware that netgear auto update to everyone router. You cannot even downgrade to a stable firmware that you want, it will always update to the latest. My $350 orbi is a piece of crap that's acts as a book stand now.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1514629#M24470

I'm using the eero, and it also auto-updates firmware. Apparently, auto-update is the wave of the future in mesh systems and routers. Clearly requires more care on the part of the firmware developers, though. I've observed that success with auto-update of firmware depends on developers writing firmware that can accommodate new clients without falling apart. A little defensive coding design goes a long way, and thinking about what the future might hold can prevent you from ending up with intricate firmware full of special cases for new kinds of clients.

Anyways, the eero has been through a couple of firmware updates since I got it, including adding IPv6, and is working really well. No problems despite auto-update.

Message 32 of 36
idahoski
Tutor

I bought an Eero Gen 2 system so my family could stay connected.  I have it and Orbi set up in bridge mode with separate wireless networks.  Orbi is still a crapshoot if it is going to stay connected, so I don't have it running all of the time.  I have tried updating firmware, downgrading firmware, power cycling it, etc. I went to the link comparing mesh systems.  The comments about Orbi are similar to here, numerous and frustrating dropped connections.

Eero may be slower, but no complaints from my family compared to the regular loss in connection with Orbi. Set it and forget it.  Orbi is constant resetting it and crossing my fingers everything stays connected.

Message 33 of 36
Rowie01
Aspirant

If the Orbi was even remotely reliable and did what Netgear says it should then I'd say "great". But since the product doesn't deliver reliable wifi regardless of setting, firmware revision, placement and more, this post is rubbish, because what use is speed if you only get wifi part-time? Orbi is junk. I'm so annoyed at Netgear for not doing the right thing, which would be to take these boat anchors back and provide a refund, that one part of me would like to see a class action lawsuit against Netgear for delivering such an expensive piece of junk that is not fit for purpose.

Message 34 of 36
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Still using the eero, has been very reliable, and it is performing well. I've added MoCA 2.0 to connect each of the two remote nodes, which gives me a "hard-wired" equivalent backhaul. Also makes the wireless about as fast as the Orbi was. Actually, just a touch faster since I was using wireless backhaul on the Orbi. Have experienced several more automatic firmware upgrades, all went well, enjoying the added features.

Since I've switched from cable TV to streaming TV on the internet in the last couple of months, it's even more important to me to have a reliable network. The eero has been great in that regard. The Orbi is gathering dust at this point, unfortunately, so it goes.

Message 35 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

@Rowie01 wrote:

If the Orbi was even remotely reliable and did what Netgear says it should then I'd say "great". But since the product doesn't deliver reliable wifi regardless of setting, firmware revision, placement and more, this post is rubbish, because what use is speed if you only get wifi part-time? Orbi is junk. I'm so annoyed at Netgear for not doing the right thing, which would be to take these boat anchors back and provide a refund, that one part of me would like to see a class action lawsuit against Netgear for delivering such an expensive piece of junk that is not fit for purpose.

I set up my friends Orbi couple of months ago. Been solid and he's happy with it. No wifi or connection issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7