Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

MM76
Aspirant

ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Hi I have a recurring problem that happens every few months.  Not a major problem given infrequent but is very annoying.  I have Orbi RBR850s with latest firmware; Nighthawk 1G modem

• Internet will be working fine
  • All of a sudden I will get Microsoft Security Alerts from outlook.office.com on my laptop about certificate errors; at this point the internet is working normal for other devices; 
    • I dont know if just coincidence but I always am alerted to problem first on my laptop with the Microsoft Security Alerts; it is never other devices that stop working first
  • Then everything gets crazy; apps on phones will not work properly (wont fully load info) and soon no devices (eg, smart speakers, TVs) have connectivity
  • I get the infamous Connection is not private message on multiple computers with ERR-CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
  • The orbi router will look normal (no error colors), although after I restart the modem and routers and try to get working, Orbi will be purple for the first couple of tries

And basically I restart my modem and routers a few times (1 restart has not sufficed) and eventually everything just starts working again after ~30 minutes. I could be wrong but it seems like a certain amount of time needs to go by before everything is back to normal.

Everything looks normal from the ISP side during the whole situation

I have had this happen in 2 different houses with 2 different modems.  the common thing has been my Orbi RBR850s

I thought maybe my laptop was triggering this because I always see the issue there first but that's a total guess.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading1-min (1).jpg3-min.jpg

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You'll need to check with MS on help and support of Outlook and there app. 

Does this happen with different browsers? 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  The next time it happens, could you select the Advanced option in the lower part of the screen and copy what comes up? I have a suspicion that Chrome is not actually complaining about cnn.com.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
MM76
Aspirant

The Orbi (RBK852) is currently connected to Netgear CM2050V (with firmware V2.01.03).

In the past I had it connected to Netgear CM1200 and had same issue come up a few times (but during first 12 months of same setup, it never happened).

The Orbi is on firmware V4.6.9.11_2.3.5 currently 

RE: MS, my company's IT dept (it is company laptop) suggested updating drivers and BIOS on laptop which did have needed updates but I dont think those have been out of date the past year, so I am not sure that really explains it

Message 4 of 6
MM76
Aspirant

Yep definitely, will do!

Message 5 of 6
MM76
Aspirant

And forgot to add.  Once i notice the problem and test other computers, i have the same private screen problem on them too, regardless of the browser type

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7