Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ESP based device keeps stealing IP and Orbi lets it

cchamilt
Aspirant

ESP based device keeps stealing IP and Orbi lets it

I have a few outlet control devices based on the ESP8266 wifi chips. 

1. One of them 02:0F:B5:1F:39:8D keeps taking 10.1.1.2 according to the Orbi. 
  2. The Orbi DHCP server is supposed to assign it 10.1.1.221. 
  3. The DHCP server is supposed to not allocate IPs under 10.1.1.20. 
  4. There is already a specific device with 10.1.1.2 reserved inside the Orbi lan setup.

So how is this even possible?  How do I actually get this device or the Orbi to behave?

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

What IP address pool range size are you using on the Orbi router? From and To? 

Message 2 of 6
cchamilt
Aspirant

What FW is currently loaded? V2.2.1.210

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  What does the ISP modem have to do with anything, it is another network?

What IP address pool range size are you using on the Orbi router? From and To? 10.1.1.20-10.1.1.254

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this device set up for a static IP address ON the device or automatic IP addressing? 

Do have a IP address reservation ON the Orbi for this device? 

Having a router built in to the modem can cause problems. 

What happens if you set the Orbi to 10.1.1.2 thru .254, does this device still take the same IP address or a different one? 

Message 4 of 6
cchamilt
Aspirant

Thanks for replying, but I believe that this information is covered in the initial post.  The gateway after the Orbi has no direct connection to this network as the Orbi is setup as the router for this network.  However, I see what you are saying.  It could be a rogue DHCP server, but I have yet to find it.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you set the Orbi to 10.1.1.2 thru .254, does this device still take the same IP address or a different one?

Change the Orbi router from router mode to AP mode, then test your device out. This eliminates the router on the Orbi while your figuring this out. 

If your modem has a built in router:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7