Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7500 in existing Orbi (RBK50) environment

Zetone
Aspirant

EX7500 in existing Orbi (RBK50) environment

Hi guys,

I'm having a dead spot on my terrace so decided to add an EX7500 extender to fill the gap. The extender connects correctly to the existing RBK50 setup (all status leds are Blue), but random connection problems do take place after 1 day or so of operation. EX disconnects from Orbi (Red or Off status) - implicitly, all connected devices loose internet connectivity. The EX is setup as normal extender (not via WPS).

I think the EX is somehow looping connections between my RBR50 and RBS50 and somehow drops the connection in the process. Is there any way to force the EX to connect only to RBS50?

Any other thougts?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you tell us firmware version in Orbi as well as daisy chain setting in GUI?

Message 2 of 8
Zetone
Aspirant

Hi,

The Orbi is on V2.2.1.210

The EX7500 is on V1.0.0.50_1.0.67

Ty

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled on the Orbi? 

@Zetone wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm having a dead spot on my terrace so decided to add an EX7500 extender to fill the gap. The extender connects correctly to the existing RBK50 setup (all status leds are Blue), but random connection problems do take place after 1 day or so of operation. EX disconnects from Orbi (Red or Off status) - implicitly, all connected devices loose internet connectivity. The EX is setup as normal extender (not via WPS).

I think the EX is somehow looping connections between my RBR50 and RBS50 and somehow drops the connection in the process. Is there any way to force the EX to connect only to RBS50?

Any other thougts?

Message 4 of 8
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

First, how is the signal strength there? How far away are you from the satellite? as @FURRYe38  asks. What are your obstructions? Download something like WiFi Analyzer and check your signal strength in db. It could be just losing signal. 

If not, as a point of curiosity, I read nowhere that the EX7500 is rated for exterior use. If it is not totally exterior, why would you go with that product rather than an Orbi wall plug in like the RBW30 (it is obvious why someone may want to avoid the RBS50Y which is truly exterior: cost)?

The EX7500 is primarily designed for people who have an existing system that is not mesh. The term "mesh extender" is not used to indicate that the product is for extending mesh systems, but to turn conventional systems into a mesh type environment with a single SSID and that unit being a triband with dedicated backhaul. It also includes what Netgear calls "FastLane" technology, which allows you to dedicate some extender models bands to router connection but the EX7500 may work better not using this due to the dedicated 5GHz backhaul. How this is configured in your device may also be relevant to connection.using the EX7500 which is designed to turn a conventional wifi environment to a mesh environment, and not necessarily as an add on to an existing mesh system. For that additional add ons are offered. So if the signal strength is not the issue, settings for backhaul dedication on the EX7500 may be interfering.

Message 5 of 8
Zetone
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarifications. House has 2 stories (about 1000 sqf each) Distance from RBR to RBS1 on the same floor is about 36ft and to RBS2 (1st floor about 21 ft - as the concrete ceiling needs to be passed). The EX7500 is installed INSIDE right in front of the terrace exit on ground floor - reason for this is signal from RBS1 to terrace is obstructed by a concrete pillars and the fireplace + chimney.

The RBR is installed in AP mode as I have a different router for internet access. Daisy-chain, beamforming, MIMO and fast roaming are ENABLED. Channel 1 is in use for 2.5G and 36 for 5G. There are no nearby wireless as my house is more or less isolated.

Why I choosed the EX7500 instead of RBW30? because in a previous itteration with NETGEAR support I was assured EX line of products is compatible w. Orbi. Apparently not. I had yesterday another discussion with NETGEAR support where it was confirmed there are incompatibility issues between Orbi and other extenders and the only recommandation they have is to make a DHCP reservation for the EX MAC on my router and to change the 2.4G channel to 1. I did that yesterday and the support ticket is still open to see how it behaves as usually the issues will start to appear after a day or 2 since last EX power cycle, in a random way.

I'll keep you guys posted and thank for your input.

Message 6 of 8
Zetone
Aspirant

Hi!, please see my reply to JoeCymru as it includes clarifications to your questions.

Thank you

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try disabling Daisy Chain to see if this helps any. This maybe confusing the EX7500 in some way or the Orbi system in to handling the EX7500 differently when it's enabled. I have a EX7700 connected to my CBK40 system. It been working. The 7500 should work as well.

@Zetone wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Some clarifications. House has 2 stories (about 1000 sqf each) Distance from RBR to RBS1 on the same floor is about 36ft and to RBS2 (1st floor about 21 ft - as the concrete ceiling needs to be passed). The EX7500 is installed INSIDE right in front of the terrace exit on ground floor - reason for this is signal from RBS1 to terrace is obstructed by a concrete pillars and the fireplace + chimney.

The RBR is installed in AP mode as I have a different router for internet access. Daisy-chain, beamforming, MIMO and fast roaming are ENABLED. Channel 1 is in use for 2.5G and 36 for 5G. There are no nearby wireless as my house is more or less isolated.

Why I choosed the EX7500 instead of RBW30? because in a previous itteration with NETGEAR support I was assured EX line of products is compatible w. Orbi. Apparently not. I had yesterday another discussion with NETGEAR support where it was confirmed there are incompatibility issues between Orbi and other extenders and the only recommandation they have is to make a DHCP reservation for the EX MAC on my router and to change the 2.4G channel to 1. I did that yesterday and the support ticket is still open to see how it behaves as usually the issues will start to appear after a day or 2 since last EX power cycle, in a random way.

I'll keep you guys posted and thank for your input.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7