Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Edit DHCP DNS servers - RBK50

jamesnahon
Initiate

Edit DHCP DNS servers - RBK50

Hi,

Is it possible to manually configure the DNS servers given out by DHCP by the RBK50?  I know you can change the DNS server for the route itself, I'm trying to configure the router to give out a DHCP lease with a DNS server other than itself.

Thanks

James

EDIT: i've searched the forums and there are lots of similar posts, but nothing conclusive from any recent posts.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Most NG routers including Orbi use a DNS proxy. Thus on the WAN side you can have the router use any custom DNS address. However for the LAN side, connected clients will always recieve the routers IP address for there DNS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Most NG routers including Orbi use a DNS proxy. Thus on the WAN side you can have the router use any custom DNS address. However for the LAN side, connected clients will always recieve the routers IP address for there DNS.

Message 2 of 4
jamesnahon
Initiate

That's sad to hear, but thanks for confirming.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing about NG routers I wish NG would allow users to configure. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7