Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Email says Orbi RBR50 firmware update available. Checking from router says no new firmware

ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Email says Orbi RBR50 firmware update available. Checking from router says no new firmware

I got an email from Netgear that I need to update my firmware to enhance the security of my RBK53 system. However, when I check from the Advanced tab as instructed, I get the message that there is no new firmware available on the Internet. I am currently at V2.5.2.4. I do see a version 2.7.1.60 in the dowmnloads section. Should I manually update the firmware? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Email says Orbi RBR50 firmware update available. Checking from router says no new firmware

You can manually download and update if you want to. Or if your system is working fine, you can use whats working for you. Up to you. If you update, update the RBS first then the RBR.

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote:

I got an email from Netgear that I need to update my firmware to enhance the security of my RBK53 system. However, when I check from the Advanced tab as instructed, I get the message that there is no new firmware available on the Internet. I am currently at V2.5.2.4. I do see a version 2.7.1.60 in the dowmnloads section. Should I manually update the firmware? 

If Netgear seriously wants customers to update Orbi Firmware, then the Orbi "Firmware Update" page should make it possible.

Or, the Orbi "app" which Netgear pushes so hard for customers to use (resulting in many customers not using the web interface at all).

If neither of these offers new firmware, I feel comfortable "waiting for Godot."

Message 3 of 17
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@ShankarHokie wrote:

If Netgear seriously wants customers to update Orbi Firmware, then the Orbi "Firmware Update" page should make it possible.

Or, the Orbi "app" which Netgear pushes so hard for customers to use (resulting in many customers not using the web interface at all).

If neither of these offers new firmware, I feel comfortable "waiting for Godot."

Interestingly enough, the App on my Android phone informs me that there is an updated firmware!! I just did the update through the App. Super easy!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Interestingly enough, the App on my Android phone informs me that there is an updated firmware!!

Well, NOW you have a decision to make.  My Orbi app also says new firmware is available, but of course does not identify which firmware it is, whereas the web interface states that it is 2.5.2.4 (I am on 2.5.1.16).

If you decide "what the hell" and do it, please come back and report how it went for you.

On a philosophical note, one of my frustrations is that Netgear provides so little practical information.  "Security Issues" is rather nebulous.

In contrast, the monthly Microsoft software updates list the actual CVE numbers and describe how critical the vulnerability is.

When I search the CVE list for "Netgear Orbi", or "Netgear router" the only Orbi that comes up is the RBS50Y.

https://cve.mitre.org/ 

Message 5 of 17
alokeprasad
Mentor

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Interestingly enough, the App on my Android phone informs me that there is an updated firmware!! I just did the update through the App. Super easy!

Which version did you end up with when you updated thru the android app?

Message 6 of 17
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Interestingly enough, the App on my Android phone informs me that there is an updated firmware!!

Well, NOW you have a decision to make.  My Orbi app also says new firmware is available, but of course does not identify which firmware it is, whereas the web interface states that it is 2.5.2.4 (I am on 2.5.1.16).

If you decide "what the hell" and do it, please come back and report how it went for you.

On a philosophical note, one of my frustrations is that Netgear provides so little practical information.  "Security Issues" is rather nebulous.

In contrast, the monthly Microsoft software updates list the actual CVE numbers and describe how critical the vulnerability is.

When I search the CVE list for "Netgear Orbi", or "Netgear router" the only Orbi that comes up is the RBS50Y.

FWIW, my RBK50 came from the factory with 2.5.2.4, which has been excellent.

I agree that NG is messing up big time with the rollout of the latest update. They send emails asking people to update and than have inconsistent behavior on the back end when people use iPhone, Android apps or web interface or download web site to do just that.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

v4 is the same version I saw available when I had v16 loaded. I avoided v4 due to ARP storms seen when RBS were ethernet connected. I went to v60 then v102 appeared avaiable after that was loaded on the RBRs web page. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

Message 8 of 17
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can manually download and update if you want to. Or if your system is working fine, you can use whats working for you. Up to you. If you update, update the RBS first then the RBR.

Where have I heard that before?

Message 9 of 17
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@ShankarHokie wrote:

I did the update through the app. Now I am at Router Firmware Version V2.7.0.70.  Here are the release notes for that version

https://kb.netgear.com/000062320/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-0-70

Message 10 of 17
alokeprasad
Mentor

That is a few generations older than the latest.

Your Android Orbi app may prompt you to go to the latest (2.7.2.120) or an intermediate (2.7.1.60).

2.7.1.60 is available for download and manual installation. 2.7.2.120 is not.

These versions fix unspecified security issues. 

People on 2.7.1.60 get prompted by the mobile app to upgrade to 2.7.2.120.  The update happens through the app or the web interface.

The manual update process is documented at

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

The update goes fine for many, but some have problems (discussed extensively in this forum).  NG leaves it up to the users and the helpful volunteers here to sort all this out.

Message 11 of 17
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

@alokeprasad wrote:

Your Android Orbi app may prompt you to go to the latest (2.7.2.120) or an intermediate (2.7.1.60).

People on 2.7.1.60 get prompted by the mobile app to upgrade to 2.7.2.120.  The update happens through the app or the web interface.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

The update goes fine for many, but some have problems (discussed extensively in this forum).  NG leaves it up to the users and the helpful volunteers here to sort all this out.

I clicked through the Android Orbi App recommendation and I only got to 2.7.0.70. Maybe' it'll catch up soon.

Message 12 of 17
alokeprasad
Mentor

@ShankarHokie wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

I clicked through the Android Orbi App recommendation and I only got to 2.7.0.70. Maybe' it'll catch up soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  The iPhone app and web interface for my RBK50 shows no new updates and I am at 2.5.2.4.

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I manually applied V2.7.1.60 then found v102 available to update to on the RBR and RBS using the RBRs FW update web page. v60 is only available for manual download. The only way to get to v`102 if you want it. 

@ShankarHokie wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 17
Wire1852
Apprentice

I'm still at version 2.5.1.16 & don't plan to upgrade during the holidays.  However when you do upgrade can you jump to the lastest version (or the one you feel is safe/stable) or do you have to do it in stages upgrading to version after current version installed untill you get to version you want?

You would think you could jump to version you want but at this point I how no confidence in Netgear based on how they have badly mishandled previous Orbi firmware releases.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You can go directly to the the lastest that avaiable ON NGs download site. If you do, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. I went from v16, to v60 manually by downloading the FW files. v102 appeared on the RBRs web page after v60 was loaded on the RBS and RBR, so I used UPDATE ALL on the RBRs web page there and i'm now on v102 and is working well since loading it last week. No factory reset was performed since I didn't see any problems. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

I'm still at version 2.5.1.16 & don't plan to upgrade during the holidays.  However when you do upgrade can you jump to the lastest version (or the one you feel is safe/stable) or do you have to do it in stages upgrading to version after current version installed untill you get to version you want?

You would think you could jump to version you want but at this point I how no confidence in Netgear based on how they have badly mishandled previous Orbi firmware releases.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7