Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Emailing log file from Router

Jeffgear
Luminary

Emailing log file from Router

Hi Community

i am trying to get my RBR50v2 to send me the log file every week. I am an iCloud user and have used the following imap settings but it's not working. Any ideas? I assume I use the incoming server settings not the outgoing smtp settings?

IMAP information for the incoming mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com). If your email client can't connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address, try using the full address.
  • Password:
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: Emailing log file from Router

Thanks.

I tried my gmail creds and Google's smtp settings and it still failed.

It turns out to be the smtp server authentication requires and app specific password if your human login has MFA. Once generated in my appleID andGmail accounts, either work. 

also the clear log and refresh helped troubleshoot as the browser session was not refreshing despite the appearance of a refresh when clicking send log. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Emailing the log file requires the user smtp login (sending), rather than the receiving login (imap)

On GMail it is smtp.gmail.com and the port is 465.

You will have to look up the smtp name and port for iCloud.

Also, once a week may cause you to get only part of the events, because the log file "wraps around" when it gets full.

Message 2 of 7
Jeffgear
Luminary

Thanks, I've now set smtp as per Apple's KB and temporarily set to daily to check it works. Incidentally manually clicking send logs in the admin tab doesn't actually do anything. Oddly the log file doesn't increment with a failed email log - I only saw one of those in the logs after a reboot saying imap connection had failed. I wonder if it needs a reboot to reactivate the mail client with the new server settings. 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jeffgear wrote:

Thanks, I've now set smtp as per Apple's KB and temporarily set to daily to check it works. Incidentally manually clicking send logs in the admin tab doesn't actually do anything. Oddly the log file doesn't increment with a failed email log - I only saw one of those in the logs after a reboot saying imap connection had failed. I wonder if it needs a reboot to reactivate the mail client with the new server settings. 

A reboot should not be required, but the "Apply" button definitely needs to be clicked.  (I often overlook that step.)

Message 4 of 7
Jeffgear
Luminary

Apply icon has been ticked for sure 🙂

trying these:

SMTP information for the outgoing mail server

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
  • Password:

Still no logs received when manually send from the admin tab. No log entry generated for any email action like I've seen on a reboot. Password is definitely correct. 

I wonder if it's an iCloud email alias issue. I'll try my iCloud alias instead of my original me.com email addy. Failing this I will try my gmail and Google smtp server instead. 

Message 5 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jeffgear wrote:

Still no logs received when manually send from the admin tab. No log entry generated for any email action like I've seen on a reboot. Password is definitely correct. 

Let's focus on this because you should be seeing a log entry.

1. In orbilogin.com / Advanced / Security / Email make sure that you have checked Turn E-mail Notification On and also My mail server requires authentication.
  2. In orbilogin.com / Advanced / Administration / Logs press Clear Log.
  3. Check all the checkboxes under Include In Log.
  4. Press Send Log
  5. Press Refresh

Now do you see a new log entry like this?

[email sent to: mike@XXX.com] Thursday, May 19,2022 07:42:50

If I change my Email settings to something incorrect, then I see a log entry like this:

[email failed] fail to connect to outgoing mail server, Thursday, May 19,2022 07:44:09
Message 6 of 7
Jeffgear
Luminary

Thanks.

I tried my gmail creds and Google's smtp settings and it still failed.

It turns out to be the smtp server authentication requires and app specific password if your human login has MFA. Once generated in my appleID andGmail accounts, either work. 

also the clear log and refresh helped troubleshoot as the browser session was not refreshing despite the appearance of a refresh when clicking send log. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7