Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable Orbi Guest Network at 5GHz

calworld
Aspirant

Enable Orbi Guest Network at 5GHz

Is it possible to enable Orbi at 5GHz for guest network? I can see Orbi guest network only has 2.4GHz. I have a tenant that share internet with me so I want to seperate my network so I provided guest network and not wanting to create another SSID. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Enable Orbi Guest Network at 5GHz

@calworld wrote:

Is it possible to enable Orbi at 5GHz for guest network? I can see Orbi guest network only has 2.4GHz.

The Orbi Guest network is both 2.4G and 5G.  What has led to the conclusion that it is only 2.4G?

They both have the same Guest WiFi name (SSID), and devices connect to whichever channel gives them the best connection.

Message 2 of 10
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@calworld wrote:

Is it possible to enable Orbi at 5GHz for guest network? I can see Orbi guest network only has 2.4GHz. I have a tenant that share internet with me so I want to seperate my network so I provided guest network and not wanting to create another SSID. 

You can check out this: How to enable separate SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz on Guest Network. 

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I think the question was that there appears to be no 5G Guest network, which I think is incorrect.  Not, how to create a different 5G network name.  Guess we'll learn which it was when the poster responds.

Message 4 of 10
calworld
Aspirant

I want to force a device to connect to 5GHz but it does not have that option. Therefore I suspect it only allows 2.4GHz. If what above reply is true that Guest WiFi does allow 5GHz, then how to I force it to connect to it?
Message 5 of 10
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@calworld wrote:
I want to force a device to connect to 5GHz but it does not have that option. Therefore I suspect it only allows 2.4GHz. If what above reply is true that Guest WiFi does allow 5GHz, then how to I force it to connect to it?

Yes, you can do that with separate SSIDs on Guest Network.  Check out my earlier post on how to do that.

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@calworld wrote:

This is where @SW_ and I differ.  He believes your device is capable of 5G connection, but fails to connect to the existing 5G SSID.  I read your post to mean that the device has no 5G capability, and thus cannot be connected to 5G.

Maybe if you explain what the device is, we can look up the technical specs and give a better solution.

Message 7 of 10
calworld
Aspirant

It is a MacBook Pro
Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

MacBook Pro specs show 802.11ac, which means it supports 2.4G and 5G.

Every device I have that supports both frequencies chooses 5G when it is available.

I have no idea what would cause a MacBook Pro to connect at 2.4G when a 5G connection is available.

If it is essential that the connection be at 5G, then I guess "splitting" the SSID's is the answer that is left.

p.s. I am not happy about this, because I do not understand what could be causing it.   My $40 Raspberry Pi automatically chooses the Orbi 5G connection.  How an expensive MacBook would not is beyond me.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Both my MBP 2008 and 2018 connect at 5Ghz using the above configurations. OSX 10.14 and 10.15 on the 2018 book. My 2008 recently died which it was on OSX 10.13. 

@calworld wrote:
It is a MacBook Pro

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7