Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enabling IPv6 kills Netflix

e3b0c442
Aspirant

Enabling IPv6 kills Netflix

Hello all,

Just today I picked up the Orbi RBK22 kit from Costco to replace an ASUS RT-AC68U that just couldn't quite cover the house.

After getting everything set up as it was on the RT-AC68U, I discovered that Netflix (and only Netflix) was not working.

Upon further investigation, I found that I had to disable IPv6 in order to make Netflix work.

I thought this was weird, so I plugged the RT-AC68U back in (with an identical IPv6 configuration) and everything worked as expected, so I can link this with 100% certainty to the Orbi.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm using CenturyLink fiber with the Orbi router connected directly to the ONT and terminating PPPoE/VLAN tagging, exactly the same as the ASUS router was set up. CenturyLink (still... sigh...) uses 6rd tunnels for IPv6.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Enabling IPv6 kills Netflix

Is the ONT doing any routing as well?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ONT?

What FW version are you using on the Orbi?

Try connecting the Orbi in AP mode to the ASUS router...

Message 2 of 15
e3b0c442
Aspirant

I don't know why, but it looks like this keeps getting deleted......

Is the ONT doing any routing as well?

Couldn't tell you, that's CenturyLink's equipment, not mine. I doubt it though, my understanding is that the ONT is simply converting the optical signal to 1000BaseT.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ONT?

Don't know. The ONT is in a locked box on the outside of my home. To be blunt -- things worked fine when I had the ASUS router hooked up in the same way, so if there's a problem here, it's with the Orbi, not the ONT.

What FW version are you using on the Orbi?

The latest, 2.2.1.210. Both router and satellite are running the same version

Try connecting the Orbi in AP mode to the ASUS router...

That 100% defeats the purpose of getting the Orbi for me. I may as well just take it back to the store if I'm going to do that. (The ASUS was maxing out at ~400Mbps due to PPPoE forcing software mode. I can get the full 1Gbps with the Orbi.)

Since I made the post yesterday, I tried re-enabling IPv6 and things seemed to work fine... until I woke up this morning and things had gone down the **bleep**ter again. During that event, I was able to confirm it's not just Netflix--anything that ran "dual-stack" was slower than normal as it tried to resolve IPv6 and then failed back to IPv4. Netflix, it seems, does not have a dual-stack/failover mechanism; it looks like they run entirely separate networks for V4 and V6, which is why no failover occurred.

So, I have a hunch that what is going on is that CenturyLink has pretty short lease times on their IPv4 addresses, so they change frequently. I'm going to try and catch it at the act at some point where I won't get flogged for taking the Internet down in the house yet again, but I think that the IPv4 address is changing, but that the IPv6 side of the Netgear firmware is not keeping up with that and is still advertising on the old space. Since IPv6 6rd addresses are dependent on the IPv4 address with 6rd, this is causing IPv6 to fail any time the IPv4 address changes.

I'll update if I can confirm, but still appreciate any insight if others have run into a similar problem.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like something going on between the ONT and Orbi then. Something NG support should review. 

Disable IPv6 on the Orbi and test wtih out using IPv6. Netflix should work with out IPv6 support. Mine does. 

Theres been no others posting about anything similar to this issue....

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

Message 4 of 15
e3b0c442
Aspirant

Yes, I have IPv6 disabled for now. Like I said, I'm 99% sure the ONT does not do anything except signal conversion so I'm not exactly sure how a Layer 1 device would affect a Layer 3 protocol.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance this week to test out the IPv4 renewal not updating IPv6 6rd theory, though the Netgear folks may be in a better position to test that in-house at this point 🙂

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible at this point. Something you might post a question to Netflix to see if they might have any info as well. Might be helpful in this case.

Message 6 of 15
randomousity
Luminary

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried checking your DNS settings? If you're using the ISP provided ones, maybe try Cloudflare or Google's public DNS servers?

Message 7 of 15
e3b0c442
Aspirant

As mentioned above, Netflix just happened to be the most immediately visible casualty of this. It's definitely with the IPv6 subsystem as a whole.

This looks to be a similar issue to these threads:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-6to4-and-6rd-IPv6-Issues/m-p/1385878

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-IPv6-Stops-Working/m-p/1574052

DNS is not the issue either. DNS is pointed at Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 service on both IPv4 and IPv6.

Message 8 of 15
e3b0c442
Aspirant

So, a little more "research" tonight.

It is not necessarily tied to IPv4 changes, as I previously thought.

When I reboot the router, IPv6 appears to come up, but IPv6 sites will not load/ipv6-test.com fails.

However, I've found that if I go into the IPv6 settings in the router and "apply" (no changes), things start working again.

Going to monitor today and see if it goes down again and if so, if there's a mismatch in the IPv4/IPv6 IPs, and either way, if just "apply" on the IPv6 settings page gets it up again.

Hopefully this gives engineers a place to look, because it's downright shameful that something so simple is an issue. I'm just glad I got this at Costco so that I have some time to try and resolve the problem before returning it.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes there are other users posting about IPv6 and I have pass this on to NG support. I would make contact with support and let them know your also seeing issues with IPv6. Theres not timeframe when new FW will be forthcoming. 

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

@ChristineT

@e3b0c442 wrote:

So, a little more "research" tonight.

It is not necessarily tied to IPv4 changes, as I previously thought.

When I reboot the router, IPv6 appears to come up, but IPv6 sites will not load/ipv6-test.com fails.

However, I've found that if I go into the IPv6 settings in the router and "apply" (no changes), things start working again.

Going to monitor today and see if it goes down again and if so, if there's a mismatch in the IPv4/IPv6 IPs, and either way, if just "apply" on the IPv6 settings page gets it up again.

Hopefully this gives engineers a place to look, because it's downright shameful that something so simple is an issue. I'm just glad I got this at Costco so that I have some time to try and resolve the problem before returning it.

Message 10 of 15
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @e3b0c442

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 11 of 15
Joechang
Apprentice

purely same issue with IPV4/6 dual-stack. Drop connection for 1-X days and need to click "Apply" to get connected again.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping NG can get this fixed. 

@Joechang wrote:

purely same issue with IPV4/6 dual-stack. Drop connection for 1-X days and need to click "Apply" to get connected again.

Message 13 of 15
kilowatt2
Aspirant

I also have the same issue with CenturyLink but not fiber. Yesterday I could not log on to Netflix or facebook and a few other site and the test your IPv6 site reported errors. Went into the IPv6 settings and selected apply and all was good again. I'm also running 2.2.1.210 with the Orbi as the router and DSL modem in bridge mode and using Google's public DNS servers. I see this issue about once a week.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

The more users complain about the issue, the sooner NG should get it fixed.

@kilowatt2 wrote:

I also have the same issue with CenturyLink but not fiber. Yesterday I could not log on to Netflix or facebook and a few other site and the test your IPv6 site reported errors. Went into the IPv6 settings and selected apply and all was good again. I'm also running 2.2.1.210 with the Orbi as the router and DSL modem in bridge mode and using Google's public DNS servers. I see this issue about once a week.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7