Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Enabling VPN on RBK50 causes internet to disconnect

Drakier
Aspirant

Enabling VPN on RBK50 causes internet to disconnect

I just got the RBK53 today and so far really like it and the features it has. I have it all updated and configured to work really well within my network and using hard-wired backchannel for satelites. It covers my home great and so far there haven't been any problems, except one.

When I go into the Advanced Settings and attempt to enable the VPN Service, then my internet disconnects. I can no longer access websites or anything and get some strange errors in various clients when I attempt to access them. This is just normal internet from within the network and none of them are currently connected to the new VPN that was set up. As soon as I disable the VPN Service and apply it, my internet goes back to working. I'd really like to be able to use the VPN for when I'm away and want to get local access to my network (in addition to security for tunneling my data through my house). 

Anyone have any suggestions or anything else I might be missing or try? I've already attempted to change the "mode" on it from Auto to "everything" option and neither seems to make any difference at all. I can't see any reason why enabling the VPN service (to allow it to receive and process VPN connections externally) would cause the WAN side to completely stop working.

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
ekhalil
Master

That sounds wired, since enabling VPN should -as far as I know- not do anything to do with internet connectivity.

The only thing that I can think of is the DDNS settings, since VPN is directly related to the DDNS settings. What DDNS sevice are you using? What do you get when checking the status of DDNS (clicking on SHOW STATUS under the DDNS settings)?

Message 2 of 18
Drakier
Aspirant

First off, thank you for your reply!

I'm using the DDNS attached to no-ip.com. It all works fine, and when I "Show Status" I get a reply myddns-domain.com updated successfully at 05:52 PM, 03/24/2019

I was originally not going to use DDNS on the router since I have a client running on one of my machines which works fine. I'm guessing that DDNS must be enabled for VPN to work for configuration.

I'm also pretty stumped on this. I'm no newbie to this stuff and it makes absolutely no sense to me why it would take out the internet. The actual "Internet" tile on my home page shows as having a problem when this happens... so the router itself can clearly not detect the network when this happens.

Message 3 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@Drakier wrote:

I'm also pretty stumped on this. I'm no newbie to this stuff and it makes absolutely no sense to me why it would take out the internet. The actual "Internet" tile on my home page shows as having a problem when this happens... so the router itself can clearly not detect the network when this happens.

Then I would think this can be a sort of data corruption in the VPN settings, and I'd try to factory reset the router as a first step if you have not already done this after getting the VPN issue.

Message 4 of 18
Sennevds
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem.

When I enable the vpn service on the orbi all clients on the private network have problems with connecting to the wan side.
The vpn client itself has no problems. My Orbi is behind another router(provider) so maybe it's a double NAT problem but still strange

Message 5 of 18
MavXD
Aspirant

Hi, I have the exact same problem, internet connection is not working as soon as I switch on the VPN. Can anyone help?

@Sennevds wrote:

I have exactly the same problem.

When I enable the vpn service on the orbi all clients on the private network have problems with connecting to the wan side.
The vpn client itself has no problems. My Orbi is behind another router(provider) so maybe it's a double NAT problem but still strange

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 18
ekhalil
Master

1. Will the issue start happening when enabling VPN or when you have a VPN client connected to Orbi?
  2. When you have a VPN client attached to Orbi, what IP address is assigned to this VPN client? You can check this by going to "Attached Devices" list in the bottom of the web GUI.
  3. What is the type and model of the ISP modem/router to which Orbi is connected?
  4. What LAN IP range are you using in Orbi?
Message 7 of 18
Sennevds
Aspirant

- Happens when a client connects

- Need to check that

- A docsis 3.1 modem/router with 192.168.1.0/24 as range and the orbi set as dmz address

- 192.168.0.0/24 range

Message 8 of 18
Sennevds
Aspirant

Looks I can't edit my answer. I have found the problem.

It uses the same range as my isp router.

my client ip when connect to the vpn is 192.168.1.2 so in the 192.168.1.0/24 range.

The internet disconnect happens instantly(which is normal because of wrong range)

It looks you can't change which range the vpn clients have

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you change the IP address pool on the modem from 1.1. to say 192.168.2.1? You should be able too. You'll need to reboot the RBR after making changes with the modem. 

What is the model# of the ISP modem/router? 

Message 10 of 18
MavXD
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:
  1. Will the issue start happening when enabling VPN or when you have a VPN client connected to Orbi?
  2. When you have a VPN client attached to Orbi, what IP address is assigned to this VPN client? You can check this by going to "Attached Devices" list in the bottom of the web GUI.
  3. What is the type and model of the ISP modem/router to which Orbi is connected?

1. Internet connection breaks down when aktivating VPN Server on RBR50. Connecting with a VPN Client to Orbi's VPN Server works.

2. IP address of client: 192.168.1.37

3. ISP modem/router is a Speedport w724v.

4. Orbi router uses IP range: 192.168.1.0/24

Message 11 of 18
MavXD
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you change the IP address pool on the modem from 1.1. to say 192.168.2.1? You should be able too. You'll need to reboot the RBR after making changes with the modem. 

What is the model# of the ISP modem/router? 

And my IP address pool on modem is already set to 192.168.2.1

Message 12 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@MavXD wrote:

The VPN client in Orbi will always get an IP address from the range 192.168.2.0/24 and that's exactly why you get issues when you have a VPN client attached since it will conflict with the ISP routers IP range.

Please select another IP range for the ISP router.

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you ask the ISP to bridge your modem by chance? Would be helpful to get this modem bridged. 

Have you tried putting the RBRs IP address it gets from the modems router into the modems DMZ yet? 

@MavXD wrote:

@ekhalil wrote:

1. Internet connection breaks down when aktivating VPN Server on RBR50. Connecting with a VPN Client to Orbi's VPN Server works.

2. IP address of client: 192.168.1.37

3. ISP modem/router is a Speedport w724v.

4. Orbi router uses IP range: 192.168.1.0/24

Message 14 of 18
MavXD
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

@MavXD wrote:

The VPN client in Orbi will always get an IP address from the range 192.168.2.0/24 and that's exactly why you get issues when you have a VPN client attached since it will conflict with the ISP routers IP range.

Please select another IP range for the ISP router.

That was it, thank you so much!

Message 15 of 18
Sennevds
Aspirant

That's not true. I got a 192.168.1.0/24 range ip for my vpn client

@FURRYe38 My ISP wont let me bridge. I've putted my Orbi as DMZ address.

I'm going to change the IP range of my ISP router to something else and will check if it works!

Message 16 of 18
MavXD
Aspirant

@Sennevds wrote:

I'm going to change the IP range of my ISP router to something else and will check if it works!

As I mentioned, I also got 192.168.1.0/24 range for my VPN client. But when trying to connect to my ISP router with 192.168.2.1, I got to my Orbi router. So changing ISP router range to 192.168.3.0/24 worked for me.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now if changing the ISP modems IP address helps. Seems like it should. Try 192.168.3.1 on the modem. 

@Sennevds wrote:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7