Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Epson ET-3600 printer has issue with Orbi RBK50 single SSID

Rich_DM
Guide

Epson ET-3600 printer has issue with Orbi RBK50 single SSID

Hi,

I have a new Orbi RBK50 setup (FW version 1.11.0.22), and connected devices include an iPad, older Kindle Fire, various smart phones, Roku 3, old Linksys AE1000 USB wireless adapter. . .  None of these devices seems to have any trouble attaching to the new Orbi.

All of these devices (including the printer) were previously attached to a Netgear R6250 router.

However, when I tried attaching the Epson ET-3600 (FW V2.5) all-in-one printer/copier/scanner to the router, I kept getting messages saying that the signal was weak.  Moved the printer close to the router, same result.

Eventually I went to the printer manual, and found:

Note: If you are using a 5 GHz wireless router, set the router to operate in dual band (2.4 GHz and
5 GHz) mode. If your router uses a single network name (SSID) for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band,
give each band its own network name (SSID) instead, such as Home Network 2.4 GHz and Home Network 5 GHz.

See your router documentation or contact your internet service provider for instructions.

I turned off SSID broadcast on 5G and enabled it on 2.4G, but it still wouldn't connect.

I then turned off the 5G radio, and the printer connected to the 2.4G without a hitch.

I turned the 5G radio back on, and the printer continued to work for a day or so, but eventually got confused.

I'm currently running on 2.4GHz alone, since I need the printer.

I don't believe, from what I've read and seen, that the Orbi can have separate names for 2.4 & 5GHz bands. 

Is that correct?

Any experience with this type of situation, and how I might handle it in a way that allows me to have both radios active?  I don't know enough about dual bands and SSIDs to understand where the nub of the problem lies.

I will contact Epson as well, but I don't expect much since they already know they have a problem, and they've "fixed" it in the user manual.

-RichDM

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Rich_DM
Guide

If you have this ET-3600 problem, there's a way to change the SSID of the 5GHZ Orbi network.  This DOES to some extent defeat the concept of the Orbi, as free switching between the 2.4 and 5GHz bands is curtailed.  However, if you can live with the networks separated, placing devices on the individual bands (you'll still have good coverage via your slave), this might be the answer for you.  Requires a bit of command line use, but if you're moderately adept, it's straightforward.  I did this yesterday, and so far the Orbi network is holding up.

How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network

Rich

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Solution: Connect the printer with an Ethernet wire.

The latest Orbi firmware will not even let you turn off or adjust the power of the WIFI radios.

Message 2 of 6
Rich_DM
Guide

Thanks, st_shaw.  I'm considering that.  The whole reason for the Orbi is that the new (to me) house has no existing cable infrastructure, so the router and satellite are located in inconvenient locations, but I've got wireless everywhere.  Still, walking a couple rooms over for a printout isn't that bad, and will remind me of the old days!

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Yeah.  You should be able to use the wireless if you want, and you shouldn't have to wire the printer, but sometimes it's just easier to work around compatibility issues.

If you must have wireless, you could use a wireless bridge.  Something like this would work, assuming it has no issues connecting to Orbi!

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ethernet-2-WiFi-Universal-Wireless-GWU637/dp/B018YPWORE/ref=sr_1_1?s=e...

Message 4 of 6
Rich_DM
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion.  A bridge is a good idea.

-RichDM

Message 5 of 6
Rich_DM
Guide

If you have this ET-3600 problem, there's a way to change the SSID of the 5GHZ Orbi network.  This DOES to some extent defeat the concept of the Orbi, as free switching between the 2.4 and 5GHz bands is curtailed.  However, if you can live with the networks separated, placing devices on the individual bands (you'll still have good coverage via your slave), this might be the answer for you.  Requires a bit of command line use, but if you're moderately adept, it's straightforward.  I did this yesterday, and so far the Orbi network is holding up.

How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network

Rich

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7