Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul Best Practices

WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ethernet Backhaul Best Practices

Two questions/clarifications

(1) RBR50 is in AP mode.  The RBR50 is connected to the ISP router using the RBR50's yellow WAN port.  Going to try ethernet backhaul but wanted to do my homework first.  The on-line documentation says the RBR50 (in AP mode) should be connected to the ISP router via the LAN port NOT the yellow WAN port.  I set-up Orbi using the WAN port and when I switched the RBR50 to AP mode I left the ethernet in the WAN port.  Why does Orbi still work with the connection via the WAN port even though I should have moved the cable over to the LAN port on the RBR50? 

(2) There is also a 1000 Mbps 16 port Netgear switch that is connected to the same ISP router that the RBR50 is also plugged into.  Is the best ethernet backhaul performance (speed and/or reliablity) to connect (via ethernet) my two RBS50 satellites directly to the RBR50 or to the 16 port Netgear Switch?  Is one method measurably superior to the other?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
MikeMcr
Guide

A large switch with other devices is fine. I would just try the different combinations until you are happy. I concluded it was working fine only when the satellite showed up in the satellites list and said it was using a wired connection, even after a reboot.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 23

All Replies
MikeMcr
Guide

Please provide a link to where it says to use the LAN point. The documentation I can find says use the WAN port (also look at the picture). See here: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

As it happens, the documentation is wrong anyway, especially when using ethernet backhaul. If you don't connect via the LAN point, it appears to work BUT is not communicating with the satellite properly. The satellite will be missing from the top of the devices list or say disconnected.

Message 2 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

I have similar setup, with Orbi in AP mode and connected to ISP router via WAN port, and a switch connected to the ISP router and Orbi Satellite to the switch for backhaul is this setup incorrect?

Message 3 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

I and others found it will not communicate with the satellite when using Ethernet backhaul when connected like that. Do you see the satellite listed in the satellite section on the devices webpage?
Message 4 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

@MikeMcr yes I do see it but interestingly whenever I have a power outage or Orbi randomly reboots, the sattalite disappears from the attached list on the Main unit and I have to unplug the Ethernet cable and resync wirelessly and once it is synced I plug the Ethernet cable back and it shows up...it is a pain and now I wonder if this is because what you described.

Message 5 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

Message 6 of 23
brenth
Star

Message 7 of 23
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

pg 90 of the current user guide says the following:

"To set up the Orbi router as an AP after you set up your Internet connection:

1. Use an Ethernet cable to connect the Internet port of this router to a LAN port on your

existing router or gateway."

Now I'm even more confused.  AP with ethernet WAN or LAN?

Message 8 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

It is poorly worded but they mean WAN port for AP mode. See the diagram from the first link I posted as that shows the WAN port connected.
Message 9 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

But if the Orbi is in AP mode it should not matter what port right? it is just a switch no routing going on correct?

Message 10 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

Wrong. Telnet in to it and run ifconfig and it shows the ports are allocated differently even in AP mode.
Message 11 of 23
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

thanks for clarification on pg 90, LAN port of ISP router to the WAN port on Orbi.

Reddit post about ethernet backhaul talks about a daisy chain setting.  Does "daisy chain" need to be selected if the satellites are in a star topology back to 16 port ethernet switch?

Message 12 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

Ethernet backhaul didn’t work for me when I turned off daisy chain mode so I assume it needs to be enabled.
Message 13 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

@MikeMcr so Daisy Chain needs to be enabled for even Wired backhaul?  I have it off and wired backhaul is working nowhere in document it says need Daisy Chain enabled when using wired backhaul unless I am mistaken which I could be.

Message 14 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

If I remember correctly turning it off caused the satellite to say it was using wireless backhaul in the devices list instead of wired. When I turned it back on it then said wired.
Message 15 of 23
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

after looking at the diagram I'm still a little confused on the ethernet backhaul (AP mode)

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

last diagram shows RBR50 and two RBS50 connected to small switch.

could a hybid of the last diagram be a large switch that is connected to the ISP router LAN port, the RBR50 connected to the large switch via its yellow WAN port and each satellite connected to the large switch via its own LAN port?

Message 16 of 23
MikeMcr
Guide

A large switch with other devices is fine. I would just try the different combinations until you are happy. I concluded it was working fine only when the satellite showed up in the satellites list and said it was using a wired connection, even after a reboot.
Message 17 of 23
brenth
Star

Just an FYI for other, I had issues with Ethernet backhaul through my Dlinl switch for some reason. I had to go straight from my patch panel to the RBR50 ports for the runs I am using for satellites. If I went through the switch, the satellites just showed up as connected devices.
Message 18 of 23
JMU1998
Luminary

I am confused so what is the correct setting if in AP mode to use wired backhaul?  ISP modem LAN->Orbi AP mode WAN? 

Message 19 of 23
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

ethernet cable from ISP router LAN port should go into yellow WAN port on RBR50

Suspect you would get the same result if had a multiport switch connected to a LAN port on ISP router and then ran a cable from a port on the multiport switch into the yellow WAN port on RBR50

Message 20 of 23
brenth
Star

Message 21 of 23
andyrocks
Initiate

Could someone please summarize the best configuration for using Orbi w ethernet backhaul and a switch?

1) Where to plug in the Ethernet cable between gateway, router and switch (assuming satelites are connected to switch)

2) Software settings. AP mode, daisy chain mode, etc?

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 22 of 23
thor17usa
Guide

Does the Ethernet Backhaul was with any switch or only specific switches? The image of the 2 satellites and 1 router connected to the switch looks like it is a Netgear 5-port switch? If unmanaged vs managed switches are the issue, I think the documentation should mention that also. I would not imagine that many consumers have managed switches in their home, so I'm curious what Netgear has found so far regarding the issues with using Ethernet Backhaul. Does anyone know if t Netgear Support is collect stats on the switches users have between the main router and satellite(s)?

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7