Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul Best Practices

Chuck_M
Mentor

Ethernet Backhaul Best Practices

I have AC3000 with two satelites (RBS 50's)

My system is working great.  My two satelites are both wired (ethernet).  When I do a scan of my wireless environment, I see the backhaul wireless channels that are out there and "hidden".  They are very strong signals.

Since I am wired, is there a method of turning off the hidden wireless backhaul channel since I am not using it?  I ask because it would make sense this would increase the life of Orbi as well as probably "clean up" the radio spectrum.

If there is a method of doing this, would love to know.  Also may be a good firmware option in future versions.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

My system is working great.  My two satelites are both wired (ethernet).  When I do a scan of my wireless environment, I see the backhaul wireless channels that are out there and "hidden".  They are very strong signals.

Since I am wired, is there a method of turning off the hidden wireless backhaul channel since I am not using it?  I ask because it would make sense this would increase the life of Orbi as well as probably "clean up" the radio spectrum.

If there is a method of doing this, would love to know.  Also may be a good firmware option in future versions.

I think the wireless backhaul is kept ON as a standby link in case your wired backhaul gets broken, so you will have good redundancy in your system by keeping the wireless backhaul on.

If you don't want this backup then you can use the following steps to switch off the higher band hidden channel used for backhaul:

• Take a backup of your configuration to use it just in case
  • Switch off the 5Ghz backhaul hidden channel as follows:
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
    2. config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP --> Get the printout from this command (should be ath2)
    3. ifconfig ath2 down --> Or replace the ath2 with the output of the command from point 2

You can return it back later as follows:

• Switch on the 5Ghz backhaul hidden channel as follows:
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=1
    2. config set wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath2 (or to whatever the printout above initially was)
    3. reboot --> then wait for the router to reboot
    4. ifconfig ath2 up --> Or replace the ath2 wth whatever the printout above initially was

I tested the above procedure and it worked fine for me 🙂

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Even while in wired backhaul mode, the wireless backhaul signals can't be disabled currently. 

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

I think the wireless backhaul is kept ON as a standby link in case your wired backhaul gets broken, so you will have good redundancy in your system by keeping the wireless backhaul on.

If you don't want this backup then you can use the following steps to switch off the higher band hidden channel used for backhaul:

• Take a backup of your configuration to use it just in case
  • Switch off the 5Ghz backhaul hidden channel as follows:
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
    2. config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP --> Get the printout from this command (should be ath2)
    3. ifconfig ath2 down --> Or replace the ath2 with the output of the command from point 2

You can return it back later as follows:

• Switch on the 5Ghz backhaul hidden channel as follows:
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=1
    2. config set wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath2 (or to whatever the printout above initially was)
    3. reboot --> then wait for the router to reboot
    4. ifconfig ath2 up --> Or replace the ath2 wth whatever the printout above initially was

I tested the above procedure and it worked fine for me 🙂

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thanks!  I am going to try this.  

Seems like this would be a nice addition to updated firmware in the future.

My wired backhaul seems rock solid.  

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Good luck! 🙂

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Don't forget to commit the changes to retain the changes after a reboot, add the following command at the end:

root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7