Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul is freezing up WiFi completely and kicking everyone off (RBR50) & (RBS50)

Zorat
Tutor

Ethernet Backhaul is freezing up WiFi completely and kicking everyone off (RBR50) & (RBS50)

I have factory reset these both multiple times. I have tried to originally connect them wirelessly, and then shut off the Satellite, and plug it into ethernet, and then turn it back on. This locks up the entire wireless network.

I have also tried a factory reset, and then plugging them into each other, and then turning them on to start it off as shown here: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... then move the satellite to its correct location, which runs through a Netgear GS108 Switch. I have unplugged EVERYTHING else from being wired, just to make sure that isn't causing the problem. Again, the entire Wifi locks up and I can't connect via phone, laptop, etc.

They are both running firmware V2.1.4.16.

Any help would be extrememly appreciated

I am super frustrated, as I bought these to install in place of my Apple Airport Extremes, which at this point, seem better as they actually worked.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Re: Ethernet Backhaul is freezing up WiFi completely and kicking everyone off (RBR50) & (RBS50)

Have you tried simply waiting? Recognition of wired backhaul takes minutes, not seconds. It generally takes 5 minutes per satellite for my system to stabilize after starting up each wired satellite one at a time.

One theory is that wiring a satellite causes it to use the same LAN address simultaneously for both wired and wireless interfaces, resulting in the storm you see. But the system eventually figures out that it's wired and shuts off the wireless backhaul. This is just a theory, I don't know whether it's the true explanation.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 23

All Replies
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Have you tried simply waiting? Recognition of wired backhaul takes minutes, not seconds. It generally takes 5 minutes per satellite for my system to stabilize after starting up each wired satellite one at a time.

One theory is that wiring a satellite causes it to use the same LAN address simultaneously for both wired and wireless interfaces, resulting in the storm you see. But the system eventually figures out that it's wired and shuts off the wireless backhaul. This is just a theory, I don't know whether it's the true explanation.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

ALso after waiting 5 minutes and the top led to turn on BLUE for each unit, set up an IP address reservation for each satellite ON the router. I would also unplug ALL other LAN devices from the router, just leave one wired PC connected while getting things configured. It does take time to get the satellites wire configured. 

Message 3 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

I will try again, but it just seems to blow up every time. It does give me a Blue top and then everything gets kicked off wifi. I don't have a wired connection for my PC of course. 🙂 I could look to find a USB to Ethernet Cable adapter I have somewhere. Curious, why would that be helpful?

The last time I logged into Orbilogin after wiring it up the Satellite showed that it was set to a wired backhaul, and then fully locked up and kicked everything off again.

I just set up the IP address reservation for the Satellite and I will go unhook all the rest of the wired connections. I had done that before but it didn't seem to help.

I will also leave it alone for 10 minutes after starting to see if that helps.

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You might do a full factory erase on the router and satellites. Disconnnect ALL other LAN devices. Start with just one satellite. Set up the router from scratch, then add the 1 satellite via wireless first. Get the BLUE led on top. Then connect the lan cable getween the satellite and router. Do this while in the same room as the router. Wait 5 minutes for the top led to turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the satellite ON the router. Turn OFF and then go place it in the remote location. Turn ON and wait for the top led to turn on BLUE. Check connection here. If good, connect the reast of the LAN devices to the router.

There any network switches in the mix? Mfr and model# if you have one...

Having a wired PC with the router helps with connections to the router while setting things up. If you don't have this connection, use wireless. 

Heres how I got my friends 50 series up and running:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Others to review:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Rbr50-satellite-to-satellite/m-p/1613750/highlight/true#M38100
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...

Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

Message 5 of 23
wabyrd
Tutor

I'm having the same problem.  If I plug in one satellite with ethernet backhaul, it will eventually realize it's supposed to be wired and it will work.  But once I plug in the 2nd satellite, it all goes down and never recovers.  

Nice idea.  I just don't think Netgear has it ready for prime time yet.  Although, I will say that it is better than Asus's AIMesh which is a total disaster.

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Follow the recommended suggestions here to get your 2nd satellite going. Others have there satellites working on wired back haul.

@wabyrd wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  If I plug in one satellite with ethernet backhaul, it will eventually realize it's supposed to be wired and it will work.  But once I plug in the 2nd satellite, it all goes down and never recovers.  

Nice idea.  I just don't think Netgear has it ready for prime time yet.  Although, I will say that it is better than Asus's AIMesh which is a total disaster.

Message 7 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

First off, I thank all of you for your help.

Secondly, I will say the issues and quality sure seem like a beta level product. Having to just "wait for 5+ minutes" for it to realize what is going on, all the steps etc. Just unimpressed. As someone that has a decent amount of tech background, it took me a good 8+ hours to get this working "correctly".

The other problem I ran into was that my phone was connected at 2.4GHz, and then I found out about "Enable Fast Roaming" Orbilogin>Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings> Enable Fast Roaming and how it is disabled automatically and that devices keep paired with one of the Orbis and drops to 2.4GHz, vs transfering to the nearest Orbi @ 5GHz.

I am a little bummed. I bought these hoping for greater device to device speeds, and also greater range, but neither have been any better, and a number of times have been worse. I have devices that were staying at 5GHz speeds, and now they are dropping more frequently to 2.4GHz.

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

And we lost power. Even after 15 minutes can’t get on to WiFi. What a complete piece of garbage.
Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power ON the router first and let it come to ready and check wifi there first before turning on the satellites?

I would sign up for the new beta test:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@ChristineT

Message 11 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

I just did that twice and the second one coming on, even after 10 minutes, has fully locked up the entire network.
Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I believe you need to do 1 at time and wait for the top led to turn on BLUE for each unit.

Hoping the new beta FW might address this power loss issue. Something to ask about and try.

Message 13 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

Thanks. Yeah I did that. I brought Up the router teat d and made sure it was working, then brought the 2nd online got blue top, and then waited 10 minutes. And it was still completely locked up and not working. Will try a hard reset on the satellite and a re-add in a bit.
Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you have IP address reservations set up for each satellite on the router.

Message 15 of 23
wabyrd
Tutor

Shouldn't have to reserve IP addresses for the satellites just because they're connected via a wired connection vs. a wireless connection.  I just tried rebooting my satellite with a wired connection and it killed the whole network.  Again.  It is clearly an issue that Netgear needs to work on.  I shouldn't have to keep resetting my satellites to get them to work properly.  The interesting thing is that by rebooting satellite #2 with a wired connection caused satellite #1 to disconnect.  As soon as I disconnected the wired connection on satellite #2, they both re-connected via wireles and all was working again.  

Still better than Asus AImesh.  That was a huge dumpster fire.  Orbi is just a small trash can fire.  Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update.

Message 16 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

Wow. What a terrible terrible system. I just wrote a whole thing about trying to dewire everything but the satellite, and reboot, and that didn't work. And then it actually crashed out my LAN and also keeps saying the Password on Wifi was wrong, even though it was saved and worked fine on the Router. (SO I lost my entire post, yeah my fault for writing it on the site 😉 )

I then restored the Satellite back to factory settings and tried that, and it looked like it worked but... Nope, even after leaving it alone for 15 minutes. Additionally it completely hosed the LAN also. my laptop lost it's ip address, and I couldn't renew one. Just wow.

This "feature" should be removed, as it is worse in its current state than just telling people it doesn't have it.

I will see if I can get into the "beta" to see if it is better. It has been such a waste of time that I have started looking at the Linksys Velop. 

At this point I am going to leave it as a Wifi Backhaul. And I should send Netgear a bill for all the hours I have wasted on this terrible implementation.

Message 17 of 23
brian711
Initiate

I have ac3000 system with 2 satellites on wired backend.  I have newest firmware.  I have the same problem with random lockups.  I have to go and reboot all 3 devices, always router first then 1 satellite at a time.  It takes 15 mins or so to get it up and going.  This happens several times a week.  Also have issues if power goes off in the house with it re-establishing the mesh spontaneously.    The reliability is among the worst I have had since Linksys 15 years ago and they made that into a South Park Episode.  Hopefully the show's creators also have the same problem here so we can have a chance for a fix to this common issue.  I feel like the current firmware is beta.  The "beta" program must be alpha level.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 18 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

Agreed, a complete Joke. Also the way it chokes and dies with airplay is pathetic. Seems to me this is asking for a class action. Maybe VW bought them years ago unbeknownst to us. (Similar to their diesel disaster)

I gave up on Ethernet backhaul and have flipped to the really slow wireless as I can’t spend hours and hours getting this hot mess set up and working just to have it fall apart and have to start over again. Severely disappointed with Netgear. Considering trying Linksys Velop to see if it is any better.
Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Your systems maybe faulty as well. If you all are having problems getting your systems setup for wired back haul or have wireless performance problems, I would return the system or ask NG support for and RMA. Some other users have expressed similar problems and some have recieved new RMAs and seems to have fixed there problems. 

Good Luck. 

Message 20 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

Good idea. Will give that a try.
Message 21 of 23
Zorat
Tutor

Just an FYI, the Beta was worth trying. The Ethernet Backhaul is working.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Enjoy.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7