Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul issues

greenwell01
Aspirant

Ethernet Backhaul issues

Hi guys,

hoping someone can help. I have my orbi router set up as an AP and I initially connected two satellites to it wirelessly. Later I connected them both with ethernet cables.

I have however the following strange characterisicts.

1. I can only access the router via the mobile app if I am connected to the router wirelessly and not one of the satellites.

2. When I do access the app, it only shows one Satellite connected (although both seem to work)

3. When I access the web interface of the router I can see both Satellites connected but the connection type is 5G. The Backhaul has the  status "Good". I would have imagined that the connection type would be Wired.

4. When in the web interface and I check the fireware status the satellites is "Waiting for connection" suggesting there is connection issues.

Any ideas?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

Where you seeing this same behavior before changing to wired connections with the satellites? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain

Message 2 of 17
ekhalil
Master

@greenwell01 wrote:

3. When I access the web interface of the router I can see both Satellites connected but the connection type is 5G. The Backhaul has the  status "Good". I would have imagined that the connection type would be Wired.

It looks to me that you don't have a proper Ethernet connection between the Router and the Satellites. Are you sure that the cables are good? Any switches in betwwen that can block the connectivity?

Message 3 of 17
greenwell01
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me.

The loaded Orbi FW version is : V2.2.1.210

I didnt test the wireless setup in the same way as the locations and building wont allow a wireless connection at that distance. I could try if they are all in the same room but I guess that would be defeating the purpose.

I have a netgear JGS524E switch to which both the router and satellites are connected.

I have also deactivated Daisy Chaining but has made no difference to the issues.

Thanks

Message 4 of 17
greenwell01
Aspirant

Hi,

The cables are good. I just recently had them checked and there were no issues found.

There is a switch in between but I've tried multiple swithches and get the very same results.

The strange thing is that I know the satellites are working. I am connected to the lan port of one of the satellites right now and it works fine. Also when connected wirelessly to a satellite I have internet access but I have the symptons I mentioned before.

Does the connection type show  "Wired" on your system?

Message 5 of 17
ekhalil
Master

Yes, the connection type shows “Wired” in my system.
Please try to temporarily connect the nodes with a direct cable and see if the connection type will change to “Wired”. The system should recognize the correct connection type before you can get full performance from the system.
Please troubleshoot the connectivity issues.
Message 6 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

There is a switch in between but I've tried multiple swithches and get the very same results.

The switch you refer to is a managed switch which has energy saving functions...

Here is spec sheet. 

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/web-managed/JGS524Ev2.aspx#tab-techspecs

if this is between the router and the satellite, it is probably the source of your challenge. 

Is there any way to eliminate the switch in between the router and satellite and direct wire the two -- even if for only a test?

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

After elliminating this switch to test your system. Check to see if there is any IGMP protocol features that you can disable on this switch. Others have mentioned that disabling IGMP on managed switches resolves issues with Orbi. However you may still see issues with the Green Ethernet features. This featuere doesn't work well with Orbi. 

If you need a switch, try NG GS105/108/1600 series switches, good non manged non green ethernet switches. 

@greenwell01 wrote:

Hi,

The cables are good. I just recently had them checked and there were no issues found.

The strange thing is that I know the satellites are working. I am connected to the lan port of one of the satellites right now and it works fine. Also when connected wirelessly to a satellite I have internet access but I have the symptons I mentioned before.

Does the connection type show  "Wired" on your system?

Message 8 of 17
greenwell01
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for your great support.

So I tried with a unmanaged switch (GS108) and unfortunately there was no change.

However when I connected the two satellites directly to the router (without a switch in between), the connections finally showed up as wired and all the issues highlighted below were gone.

Its not ideal as it means having the router orbi in the cellar (thats where all lan cables from the rooms end) which is a waste of an access point.

Thanks again.
Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the switch you tried is also not working well. If the direct wired is correctly seeing the satellite with out the switch, you might give a different switch a try. There were a couple of different versions of the GS108.

And you did have Daisy Chain disabled when the satellites were connected? 

@greenwell01 wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you for your great support.

So I tried with a unmanaged switch (GS108) and unfortunately there was no change.

However when I connected the two satellites directly to the router (without a switch in between), the connections finally showed up as wired and all the issues highlighted below were gone.

Its not ideal as it means having the router orbi in the cellar (thats where all lan cables from the rooms end) which is a waste of an access point.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 17
greenwell01
Aspirant

Hi,

Daisy Chain was/is disabled.

Thanks
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was checking. Any un managed, non green ethernet switch shouldn't implede how satellites are reported though. Also could be a lan cable as well thats not to spec. 

You might give the beta FW a try as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 17
walkerx
Guide

@greenwell01 you seem to be having exactly the same issues as myself under this thread

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

He got his working,,,by directly connecting the satellites. There working with out the switch in the mix. 

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW out. Might give this a try. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

Suppposed to make ethernet back haul better...

@greenwell01 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Message 15 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

@greenwell01 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Only applies to RBR50 and RBS50 (RBK50)

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep it does. Smiley Wink

@Chuck_M wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@greenwell01 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Only applies to RBR50 and RBS50 (RBK50)

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements