Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Backhaul to Detached Garage

nick_th
Follower

Ethernet Backhaul to Detached Garage

I work out of my garage and don't get any wifi signal. I do have an Ethernet cable running from my home to the garage. If I buy a good mesh system, could I connect one of the satellite nodes to another using the Ethernet cable and have that whole setup on the same wifi/ssid?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ethernet Backhaul to Detached Garage

Yes:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

CAT6 or CAT6A STP would be recommended run out to the garage. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ethernet Backhaul to Detached Garage

@nick_th wrote:

I work out of my garage and don't get any wifi signal. I do have an Ethernet cable running from my home to the garage. If I buy a good mesh system, could I connect one of the satellite nodes to another using the Ethernet cable and have that whole setup on the same wifi/ssid?

Assuming that the Ethernet cable to the garage is less than 300 ft., then Yes.  Most of the modern mesh WiFi systems will create a seamless network including the house and garage.  Netgear Orbi systems can be connected with Ethernet, as can eero.  As for Asus,  Linksys, TP-Link, etc., you would have to check their documentation.

Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase. After that time, customers either purchase a support contract or turn to volunteers on this forum (and Redit?) for help.  (Some other vendors provide longer support.)

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7