Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Lights on cable modem port are amber

71cuda
Aspirant

Ethernet Lights on cable modem port are amber

I occasionally have connectivity issues between Orbi and my cable modem.  For some reason, orbi could not get an ethernet address from my cable provider.  But when I plugged my TV into the ethernet port, it got an address with no issue.   The other oddity is the light color on my cable modem.  When I plug orbi into it, I get one steady amber and one flashing amber.  When the Orbi eventually started working, the light color did not change.  I have heard on this forum that this means speed is limited to either 10 or 100Mb.  When I do a speed test, I get 450 Mb speeds from my cell phone.  When I did the test where I connected my TV to the modem, the light color was stead green and flashing amber.  I have since changed cables between Orbi and the modem to a Cat7 cable.  No difference but I do have a connection to the internet now.  Why would that modem light not be green with Orbi?  Is there something in my orbi configuration causing this?  ANyone else notice this issue?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ethernet Lights on cable modem port are amber

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@71cuda wrote:

The other oddity is the light color on my cable modem.  When I plug orbi into it, I get one steady amber and one flashing amber. 

Identifying the specific brand and model of modem is important.  You are correct that many manufacturers include tiny LED's on the actual ethernet port that specify the connection speed and flicker to indicate traffic.  Alas, Netgear (apparently) decided to save a little money by leaving these LED's off the Orbi ports.  (Annoying)

Something you can do is open the Orbi web interface, go to the Advanced Tab, and in the "Internet" section click on "Show Statistics".  This will show what data rate of the WAN port.

Message 3 of 18

@71cuda wrote:

I have heard on this forum that this means speed is limited to either 10 or 100Mb.  When I do a speed test, I get 450 Mb speeds from my cell phone.  When I did the test where I connected my TV to the modem, the light color was stead green and flashing amber. 

Most older TVs have Ethernet limited to 100 Mbps. Flashing orange for that LAN port means that traffic is flowing at 100 Mbps.

Then again, hard to see how a light can be simultaneously "stead[y] green and flashing amber". So I may not understand what is happening.

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Whereas older ethernet switches often had a panel of LED's showing the connection status of the various ports, modern switches often include two tiny LED's on the actual port itself.  Here's a picture of one:

Port LEDs.PNG

One of them indicates the speed of the connection and the other flickers with actual traffic.  I do n ot know that these LEDs are "standardized", but there may be a general pattern of using different colors for speed, with green indicating 1000mb.  It is disappointing that Netgear did not include these LEDs on the Orbi ethernet ports.  I do not "know" why, but can think of two reasons: (1) ports without LED's probably cost less, and (2) The Orbi is designed for consumer use where the ports will be out of sight (on the back of the unit).  There have been several times when I seriously wanted them to be available.

Message 5 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

I will give this a try this weekend.  Thank you for the direction.

Message 6 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

Option 3 was tried and my wireless devices would not get an IP connection to ORBI. I had to do a hard reset and restore the settings prior to the change. I am stuck with no internet now. My devices can connect to Orbi but Orbi cannot get an IP from Spectrum. Not sure if this will work itself out in time or not.
Message 7 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

You may have "Jumped the gun" in picking Option 3 before establishing exactly what your cable modem is.  If the modem is only a modem, then putting the Orbi in AP mode means that there is no router to assign IP addresses to individual devices.  No IP = No internet.

Please describe:

• The label on the modem (brand, model)
  • How many ethernet ports are on the modem (1 or "more than 1")

Thanks

Message 8 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

My modem has one port fro Hitron Technologies. I think it is model e31n2v1.

Odd thing is even restoring setting which worked before did not get the router an IP addr. When I got the access point to work, I could not log in to Orbi. The gateway of my PC was some ipv6 addr which I could not figure what to do with. Orbi.net did not work. Forget to mention. I have ipv6 off.

Thank you for your help
Message 9 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the information.  Yes, this is "only a modem."  The Orbi MUST be set up as a Router (not an Access Point).

(OMG - you have been through a lot!)

OK. Reset the Orbi to factory using the paper clip and turn it off.  Connect the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi is connected to the only ethernet port on the modem, power it all off.  Turn on the modem and wait 3-4 minutes.  Then power on the Orbi. Please describe the sequence of lights that appear at the top of the Orbi (the "ring" lights)

Message 10 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

Well, it started working again with the previous config from earlier this evening restored. Still have solid Amber light. Are options one and two still valid?
Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I must applogize for sending you down a wrong path. Wasn't my intention. I jumped the gun on mentioning suggestions about modem combo units. Your modem is just a modem. So my suggests are not valid for your modem and Orbi. 

So if your seeing amper on the modem, check the modems user manual for was LED indications mean and let us know. I some cases the amber could mean 100Mb vs 1000Mb speeds. 

Has a full power OFF of the ISP modem and Orbi RBR for 30 seconds been performed, the npower ON the modem and let it sync, then power ON the RBR. 

Try swapping LAN cables between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

There have been several posts recently about the Orbi WAN port being "stuck at 100mb".

Here's one: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR-50-WAN-Port-Stuck-at-100M-Speed/m-p/1608351

The conclusion reached in several posts was "the cable".  In an earlier post, you mentioned swapping in a CAT7  ethernet cable, so I thought, "well, it can't be the cable this time."  If the "stats" table definitely shows the WAN port connected at 100mb/full, there seem to be only two possibilities: (a) it's the cable, even though the replacement cable is "new", or (b) the Orbi ethernet port is busted.

Message 13 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

This is my status with the modem port showing the solid orange light.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN 1000M/Full 2458640 17799435 0 3962 51011 2:43:18 LAN 100M/Full 6541942 1038487 0 11969 1147 0:01:47 WLAN b/g/n 400M 838705 458 0 3 0 23:22:06 WLAN a/n/ac 866M 627920 38814 0 3542 34 23:21:51                                 WLAN Backhaul 866M 1927440 1106728 0 13197 1800 23:21:51

Sorry about the bad formatting.  For some reason the HTML format would not hold up in the reply window.  WAN is 1000mb/s while lan is 100mb/s

Message 14 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, HTML doesn't copy and paste very well.  Still, the stats page is pretty clear.

The WAN port (from Orbi to modem) is at 1000mb (1 gig), and

The LAN port is at 100mb.

So, solid amber means 1000mb.  Problem solved!

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you happend to look at the modems user manual to see if it had LED behavior information? 

Sounds like this isn't a problem. 

@71cuda wrote:

This is my status with the modem port showing the solid orange light.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN 1000M/Full 2458640 17799435 0 3962 51011 2:43:18 LAN 100M/Full 6541942 1038487 0 11969 1147 0:01:47 WLAN b/g/n 400M 838705 458 0 3 0 23:22:06 WLAN a/n/ac 866M 627920 38814 0 3542 34 23:21:51                                 WLAN Backhaul 866M 1927440 1106728 0 13197 1800 23:21:51

Sorry about the bad formatting.  For some reason the HTML format would not hold up in the reply window.  WAN is 1000mb/s while lan is 100mb/s

Message 16 of 18
71cuda
Aspirant

I have been unable to locate a manual for this modem as of yet.

I agree that the speeds seem fine with Orbi plugged in.  It does take forever and a day for Orbi to get an IP address from the modem compared to the TV being plugged into the modem.  The tv gets an address instantly and it might take an hour for Orbi to get an  address and dns.  WHen the TV is plugged into the modem, the port light is solid green.  WHen Orbi is plugged in, it is amber.  Maybe that is just the way it is.  Not sure.  I was under the impression that green would be good and any other color would indicate a problem.  

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this manual have any good information?

www.manualslib.com/manual/1221192/Hitron-Cgnvm.html

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7