Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Ports

MikeSpragg
Aspirant

Ethernet Ports

Hi, looking at Orbi and notice that the Router/Satellites have RJ45/Ethernet ports. I currently used a Devolo Ethernet over Power to get AP's and other devices to other parts of the house. However, it's fairly poor speed (<80Mbps) and a little unreliable. So, could I use Orbi to extend the WiFi network and plug in ordinary Ethernet devices into those ports ? Could then disband the EoM and just use Orbi. I'm fairly sure this is the idea behind those ports but need to check first. Also, when it is it being released (UK) ?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ethernet Ports

Yes. One of the four ethernet ports on the Orbi router is dedicated to connecting to the WAN/internet, but the other three on that and all four on the Orbi satellite can be used to connect other ethernet devices. 

So you would connect the Orbi router via the WAN/internet port on the Orbi router to your existing modem/gateway and use the Orbi satellite to extend the network and plug LAN devices into that.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. One of the four ethernet ports on the Orbi router is dedicated to connecting to the WAN/internet, but the other three on that and all four on the Orbi satellite can be used to connect other ethernet devices. 

So you would connect the Orbi router via the WAN/internet port on the Orbi router to your existing modem/gateway and use the Orbi satellite to extend the network and plug LAN devices into that.

Message 2 of 3
MikeSpragg
Aspirant

Excellent, thanks for confirmation

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements