Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet and backhaul

devdeep
Guide

Ethernet and backhaul

I have read various posts on this but have not seen an answer to my question. I have RBK353 (1 base and 2 satalites). Want to connect one satalite to the base via Etherner cable. Other one will be Wireless. I have seen answers which suggest that Daisy Chain is disabled. I know how this is done BUT my question is what happens if this is not done? Also, if the satalite is put back into wireless mode, should I enable the Daisy chain please?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Ethernet and backhaul

@devdeep wrote:

I have read various posts on this but have not seen an answer to my question. I have RBK353 (1 base and 2 satalites). Want to connect one satalite to the base via Etherner cable. Other one will be Wireless. I have seen answers which suggest that Daisy Chain is disabled. I know how this is done BUT my question is what happens if this is not done? Also, if the satalite is put back into wireless mode, should I enable the Daisy chain please?

Daisy Chain enabled one satellite to connect through another satellite rather than directly to the router. The default is "on" because Netgear has no idea if the customer will purchase another satellite and want to use the feature (or not).  When Daisy Chain is on, there is another hidden WiFi network that the satellites use to talk to each other.  Disabling Daisy Chain means that this extra hidden WiFi network is not present.  Honestly, the extra network causes few problems because when no satellite is actually using Daisy Chain, the only traffic on that hidden network is the WiFi management broadcasts ("Hey, I'm here. Are you here, too?")

So, if these satellites are not intended to Daisy Chain because they both will connect directly to the router, it can be disabled

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@devdeep wrote:

Daisy Chain enabled one satellite to connect through another satellite rather than directly to the router. The default is "on" because Netgear has no idea if the customer will purchase another satellite and want to use the feature (or not).  When Daisy Chain is on, there is another hidden WiFi network that the satellites use to talk to each other.  Disabling Daisy Chain means that this extra hidden WiFi network is not present.  Honestly, the extra network causes few problems because when no satellite is actually using Daisy Chain, the only traffic on that hidden network is the WiFi management broadcasts ("Hey, I'm here. Are you here, too?")

So, if these satellites are not intended to Daisy Chain because they both will connect directly to the router, it can be disabled

Message 2 of 5
devdeep
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

Many thanks for this reply. So, where is the diable button please or what do I disable if it has a different name?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@devdeep wrote:

Many thanks for this reply. So, where is the diable button please or what do I disable if it has a different name?

This is a tough one for me because I have the original Orbi (RBR50). Daisy Cain appears on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings . (toward the bottom).

I have no idea if the new RBR50 router interface has the same options. (sorry)

For certain, there is no physical switch.

Message 4 of 5
devdeep
Guide

Many thanks. You are correct - it is there.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7