Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet backhaul RBR40 and RBS20

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ethernet backhaul RBR40 and RBS20

I have had my AC2200 with two satellites for 4-5 months now. My router RBR40 using firmware V2.5.1.22 is set up in router mode connected directly to the Arris modem, one satellite RBS20 with firmware V2.5.1.16 is located in front of house with good wireless connection. Second RBS20 also with firmware V2.5.1.16 is located in a tiny house in our back yard maybe 80 feet away from router and has ok wireless connection being that far. However, I ran a 150 feet new Cat7 ethernet cable to the backyard and connecting my computer in back yard gets great ethernet connection directly to router, basically the same speed as the 300 Mb we pay for with Comcast so I think the cable is in good shape. Since the two satellites are located in opposite direction from router, I have disabled daisy chain in the settings. When I connect the satellite to the ethernet cable, the satellite connects to the router but shows the status Config Sync once every 5 minutes or so. And when the satellite configs sync, the devices fall off satellite and connect directly back to the router. I get a stable backhaul on the satellite when pulling out the ethernet cable but would hope to get the satellite to connect with stable ethernet connection. Is there something I am missing? 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet backhaul RBR40 and RBS20

Try this for testing. 

Use a shorter 6-10ft ethernet cable directly connected from router---satelilte. 

see if it works. If it sync's/configures properly, then its a cable issue (usually the ends). 

If it doesn't, then it could be a device issue. 

are you going through a network switch? Or is it wired directly to router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try this for testing. 

Use a shorter 6-10ft ethernet cable directly connected from router---satelilte. 

see if it works. If it sync's/configures properly, then its a cable issue (usually the ends). 

If it doesn't, then it could be a device issue. 

are you going through a network switch? Or is it wired directly to router. 

Message 2 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have had my AC2200 with two satellites for 4-5 months now. My router RBR40 using firmware V2.5.1.22 is set up in router mode connected directly to the Arris modem, one satellite RBS20 with firmware V2.5.1.16 is located in front of house with good wireless connection. Second RBS20 also with firmware V2.5.1.16 is located in a tiny house in our back yard maybe 80 feet away from router and has ok wireless connection being that far. However, I ran a 150 feet new Cat7 ethernet cable to the backyard and connecting my computer in back yard gets great ethernet connection directly to router, basically the same speed as the 300 Mb we pay for with Comcast so I think the cable is in good shape. Since the two satellites are located in opposite direction from router, I have disabled daisy chain in the settings. When I connect the satellite to the ethernet cable, the satellite connects to the router but shows the status Config Sync once every 5 minutes or so. And when the satellite configs sync, the devices fall off satellite and connect directly back to the router. I get a stable backhaul on the satellite when pulling out the ethernet cable but would hope to get the satellite to connect with stable ethernet connection. Is there something I am missing? 

I had a similar issue and the fix was factory reset the satellite, plug it in and turn it on, and resync it to the router, with the cable plugged in.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. Satellite is wired directly to router and router is wired directly to modem, no switch between. I discovered the cable between modem and router was an old Cat5, I exchanged it with the Cat5e cable that came with the Orbi package and powered up everything. I restarted router first, then powered up both satellites wireless next to router, then unplugged one satellite and moved to my backyard office, powered up wireless again and inserted the 150 feet long Cat7 ethernet cable after 5-10 minutes. Then ethernet backhaul worked for 3-4 hours without problems, but now this is falling apart again. Previously ethernet backhaul would start showing Config sync max 5 minutes after restart so maybe this Cat5e cable between modem was good for something. The router has one ethernet cable going to the satellite and second ethernet cable going into the Apple TV.

There are many suggestions to ethernet backhaul in this forum. Things like disable daisy chain, enable daisy chain, set 2.4 Ghz channel to a specific value, power up the satellite wireless first, power up the satellite wired, insert the ethernet into first slot, insert ethernet cable into second slot. It is easy to give up.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hey Mstrbig, are you suggesting powering up satellite while ethernet cable is plugged in? That is contrary to many threads I have read where they recommend powering up and syncing the satellite wirelessly and then plugging the ethernet cable. 

As I responded to the other suggestion, it is easy to give up. There are many suggestions to ethernet backhaul in this forum. Things like disable daisy chain, enable daisy chain, set 2.4 Ghz channel to a specific value, power up the satellite wireless first, power up the satellite wired, insert the ethernet into first slot, insert ethernet cable into second slot. I am just an amateur trying to set this up at home.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think cable was the issue. The 150 feet cable from router to satellite was brand new and probably always worked well, but the ethernet cable from modem to router as well as cable from router to Apple TV were old and somehow messed this up. Not sure which old cable was the problem, but they got exchanged and one month later this all works well now. The ethernet backhaul is stable now.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it!

Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

I think cable was the issue. The 150 feet cable from router to satellite was brand new and probably always worked well, but the ethernet cable from modem to router as well as cable from router to Apple TV were old and somehow messed this up. Not sure which old cable was the problem, but they got exchanged and one month later this all works well now. The ethernet backhaul is stable now.

Great news!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7