Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul causes crash if anything else is on the switch

Ethernet backhaul causes crash if anything else is on the switch

I've heard of others having issues with ethernet backhaul. I suspect mine is similar. Short story: if any device other than the connection for ethernet backhaul is connected to the satellite or router, the whole system quickly crashes. I presume this is because the system can't figure out which device is for the backhaul and what's a regular old device on the network.

Any suggestions?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Do you have a switch connected to the orbi? or another type of router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13

No, the connection is Orbi router to Orbi satellite.
Message 3 of 13

Tried it with a switch between just for **bleep**s. Same result.

Message 4 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I want to get you in contact with support send me a PM with your name email and phone number and I will get you with support.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 13
WimLibby
Aspirant

I also had issues when I wired the satellites to the Orbi Router.  My internet connection was dropping for 10-60 secs every few minutes.  After an hour with tech support, we unplugged and just connected the satellites wirelessly and all seems good.  Of course, now the satellites are notwhere I need them to be.... hopefully the issues will get resolved and I can use the wired backhaul again.

Message 6 of 13
danny07
Tutor

Last night my Orbi developed this problem.  It had functioned flawlessly for almost 2 months.  I have one satellite connected by ethernet backhaul, and one connected wirelessly.  This morning had not internet access.  When I tried to ping the router it would not reply.  I unplugged all of the ethernet connections and it immediately began to reply.  One by one I went through unplugging my wired devices to figure out which device was causing the main Orbi to crash, and upon unplugging the ethernet backhaul to the Orbi satellite, it began responding to pings.  Strange.  It had worked fine in that configuration.  Anyway, everything is working again, as long as the ethernet isn't plugged in to the Orbi satellite.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 13
AC641
Luminary

@danny07 wrote:

Last night my Orbi developed this problem.  It had functioned flawlessly for almost 2 months.  I have one satellite connected by ethernet backhaul, and one connected wirelessly.  This morning had not internet access.  When I tried to ping the router it would not reply.  I unplugged all of the ethernet connections and it immediately began to reply.  One by one I went through unplugging my wired devices to figure out which device was causing the main Orbi to crash, and upon unplugging the ethernet backhaul to the Orbi satellite, it began responding to pings.  Strange.  It had worked fine in that configuration.  Anyway, everything is working again, as long as the ethernet isn't plugged in to the Orbi satellite.  

Try the following to get the Ethernet Backhaul up and running.

Disconnect the Ethernet backhaul cable (I know in your case it is already disconnected).

From within the Router GUI remove the Satellite

Add the satellite as a new satellite wirelessly and allow it to connect and show the Blue light

Reconnect the Ethernet cable to establish the wired backhaul.

This has worked for me following issues after power cuts.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try disabling Daisy Chain...

@danny07 wrote:

Message 9 of 13
cyberprashant
Luminary

@danny07 wrote:

yep ditto here on 2.14.16 = come on netgear this can't be hard.  You shouldn't have to jump up and down on one foot while holding A to B while pressing C to get this work - it should just work plugged in. 

EDIT : I think where netgear is struggling is that this was never an intended feature at design.  I notice how anything connected to the satellite is not immediately detected on a network when powering up the satellite like a switch typically would be.  I wonder if the hardware is even there for stable ethernet backhual. 

Message 10 of 13
nuprinorbi
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice

How do I remove the satellite when I’m on the GUI screen.

If I click on it it just allows me to change name no remoce button
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 11 of 13
AC641
Luminary

Power it off and in the GUI it will state 'Disconnected' and give you the option to 'Remove.'  Do this and then add it again wirelessly if you can and then via Ethernet.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let u know how it goes. You should be able to get back haul going. Just start with the satelite, switch, router and wired PC first. Set up wireless first then wait for BLUE led, then connect LAN cable to the satellite and wait for the BLUE led to appear on the satellite. Set a IP address reservation, save and apply. Then connect the rest of the LAN network devices.

You can also try the beta FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Ethernet back haul does work!!!

@danny07 wrote:

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7