Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul not working?

Erwin_S
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul not working?

Hi,

I’ve installed my Orbi system today, main device as Router.

Since the distance between the Router and the satellite is too far, I decided to use an ethernet backhaul.

Initially synced the devices, the router reported the satellite as attached, but with bad backhaul.

Connected the ethernet cable in the satellite, waited for 15minutes, but the backhaul status stil reports being bad.

Browsing the forum shows many issues with ethernet backhaul, but I have not found a solution.

Is there an option to force the backhaul to ethernet?

Hope someone can shed a light on the issue?

Regards,

Erwin

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is the system loaded with currently? Be sure your using a recent same version on both base and satellite(s).

Any network swtiches between the base and satellite(s)? If so, Mfr and model#? Managed or NON Managed switches? 

Mfr and model# of ISP modem/ONT that the Orbi is connected to.

I got same system working last weekend:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 2 of 12
Erwin_S
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for your reply...

The setup is as follows:

RBK50 in router setup connected to my cable modem (Compal).

The firmware on both router an satellite are latest: 2.1.4.16

Initially connected the satellite over WiFi, but then the backhaul reported being bad.

Plugging in into a Cisco unmanaged 24 port 1Gb ethernet switch did not solve the backhaul message.

Tried another switch, unmanaged Netgear 1Gb 8 port, and then the satellite was not even recognized by the router.

Funny enough, the satellite did work, but could not me managed through the router or with the app.

I would suspect that that status in the GUI reported ethernet when a backhaul cable was connected.

I hope this is explaining enough.

Regards,

Erwin

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a factory reset on the satellite and this time, set up the satellite via wireless in the same room as the router. Walk thru the process wireless until the top led turns BLUE. Then connect a LAN cable between the satellite and trouter. Wait 5 Minutes for the top led to turn on BLUE.

Message 4 of 12
Erwin_S
Aspirant

Hi,

I think I did juist that, only I did not connect the satellite directly to the route using a cable.

I simply connected the satellite to the wired lan to which the router also was connected.

Will this allow me to disconnect the satellite afterwards, so I can reconnect it to the cable I was initially planned?

The setup I’m planning for is described in the manual as in attached picture.

Regards,

Erwin

ite 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The direct connection to the router is a prelimiary step to ensure the satellite works on wired back haul. Once you get it set up using this menthod, yes, you'll be able to take the satellite to it's final remote location and connect it up with a NON managed switch in between the router and satellite. I use this same configuration as well. 

Message 6 of 12
Erwin_S
Aspirant

Hi,

sounds like a plan...

Will do that tomorrow evening, and will let you know how it went.

Regards,

Erwin

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The direct connection to the router is a prelimiary step to ensure the satellite works on wired back haul. Once you get it set up using this menthod, yes, you'll be able to take the satellite to it's final remote location and connect it up with a NON managed switch in between the router and satellite. I use this same configuration as well. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
Erwin_S
Aspirant

Hi,

finally managed to executie the steps, and inreed in the router webpage the satellite showed up as connected using ethernet.

I moved the satellite to it’s Spot and reconnected it to power and ethernet and strange things happened...

1. The router function of the orbi was switched off

2. The router or satellite could not be accessed anymore using the webinterface. Trying to connect using orbilogin.net or even using the ip address i

3. Connecting using the app can now only be done using remote management.

the devices seem to work, but now all kinds of features are missing!

do these features work on your side?

regards,

Erwin

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So you got the satellite connected initially with a directly LAN cable connect near the router, then moved the satellite to its remote location and now your having these odd issues? If so, I would presume that what is in between the router and satellite is causing problems.

Access to router and satellite should not be a problem. The IP address may have changed by chance for the satellite if you powered it off, moved it, then back ON. Did you happen to set up a IP address reservation while you had the satellite running close to the router initially? I would have set this up before turning it off and moving it.

Message 10 of 12
Erwin_S
Aspirant

Hi,

where do I need to set the ip address resevation?

Did another try today, and again, ethernet backhaul is working fine when the satellite is connected to the router, but when i connect the satellite to the same switch to which the router had been connected, the same issue occurs....

so router and satellite work fine, but  cannot be connected to using the web interface of te router or the app (only using remote management).

this is driving me mad....

the switch I use is a very simple Netgear G5608 8 port Gb switch.

when I cannot use the ethernet backhaul, the device becomes less usefull to me.

Regards,

Erwin

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IP reservations are made on the router. Under Advanced/Setup/Lan Setup. 

I have this same switch, accept the 5 port version,  in the middle of my Orbi Satellite and router and wired back haul is working for me. Your problem maybe a cabling issue between the satellite, switch and router. You'll need to track this down. Do some close testing with the satelite and switch near the router, swapping in cabling and such to see where the issue is. Possible the switch could be a cause however I doubt it. Try different LAN ports and cabling. 

Do you have in wall cabling? Mines all CAT6A. CAT6 patch cables from wall outliets and stuff. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7