Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul - some satellites connected via ethernet, some not

Mountain20
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul - some satellites connected via ethernet, some not

Having challenges covering entire house - lots of double walls with sheer panels and stucco.

I have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 Orbi RBS50 satellites connected wirelesly.  I have moved RBR50 to different locations with some better responses but still spotty to cover entire house 5000+ sq feet over 3 stories and spread across 2 buildings.

I'm thinking of getting 2 more satellites and have the following:

- 2 satellites connected wirelessly to RBR50 (cannot easily get ethernet to these spots)

- 2 satellites connected via ethernet backhaul (can run ethernet to these locations)

is there any issue with having 2 satellites on ethernet backbone and 2 wirelessly connecting to RBR50 router?

thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Should work fine.  People have reported as many as six satellites, with a combination of wired and WiFi backhaul.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

For wired back haul:
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@Mountain20 wrote:

Having challenges covering entire house - lots of double walls with sheer panels and stucco.

I have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 Orbi RBS50 satellites connected wirelesly.  I have moved RBR50 to different locations with some better responses but still spotty to cover entire house 5000+ sq feet over 3 stories and spread across 2 buildings.

I'm thinking of getting 2 more satellites and have the following:

- 2 satellites connected wirelessly to RBR50 (cannot easily get ethernet to these spots)

- 2 satellites connected via ethernet backhaul (can run ethernet to these locations)

is there any issue with having 2 satellites on ethernet backbone and 2 wirelessly connecting to RBR50 router?

thanks

Message 3 of 8
Mountain20
Aspirant

thank you

Message 4 of 8
Mountain20
Aspirant

Thanks. Any suggestions on setting up the IP address for each satellite? I see the IP address in the Orbi mobile app, but not sure how to set it static when there are over 26 devices connected to the network. Thanks again

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this, set the default IP address range to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then add IP address reservations for the RBS first. Save setting. Then add IP address reservations if needed for other devices. I recommend for devices that don't need much or any router management, set a static IP address ON the devices thats outside the new IP address pool on the RBR. Devices like, NAS, controllers, printers and maybe some cameras, etc. Either side of the pool is good for static IP addressed devices. You need to do this thru the routers web page with a browser and PC or laptop. 

@Mountain20 wrote:

Thanks. Any suggestions on setting up the IP address for each satellite? I see the IP address in the Orbi mobile app, but not sure how to set it static when there are over 26 devices connected to the network. Thanks again

Message 6 of 8
Mountain20
Aspirant

one more clarification please. do i put the satellites within the 100 - 200 IP range our give them numbers outside that range. Thanks again

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Inside the IP address range. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements