Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul via MoCA 2.0, how do I set it up?

HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul via MoCA 2.0, how do I set it up?

Hello,

I currently have an Orbi pack i believe called RBK44 which contains one AC2200 router and three satellites.  My current home setup is as follows:
- FiOS gigabit service, FiOS gateway (MoCA and ethernet to ONT box) on 1st floor -----(cat5e)----->Orbi router WAN(yellow) on 2nd floor.

All satellites are right now connected with wireless backhaul and registering ~ 200-250 Mbps internet speed at least by checking on a cell phone internet speed test in the room with the orbi satellite.

what I wanted to do because I have a spare MoCA 2.0 adapter sitting in a closet was connect one of the Orbi's in the bedroom on the third floor to ethernet via MoCA.  I understand that it is possible to do ethernet backhaul through the coaxle.

When I attempted this, I saw the orbi light up blue which indicates an internet connection (I think?) but there was a flash of Magenta at first.  When I checked the Orbi app, it showed a dotted line connection to the router which to me means it did not actually backhaul via ethernet to MoCA.  A quick speed test in the room revealed the same internet speed.

My current thinking for this to work is that I would need a second MoCA 2.0 adapter to ethernet at the router connecting to any of the LAN ports as the other connection right now is the WAN port or yellow internet port on the Router.   Is this the case or am I missing something I need to do in the Orbi router settings? What if I ran an ethernet from a 2nd port on the FiOS gateway to the Orbi Routers LAN ports?  Would this function to complete my ethernet backhaul via MoCA network?  Or do I just need to move the connection currently from the yellow WAN port on the Orbi router to a LAN port and would it still function as an Orbi router?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you would use one of the LAN ports on the back of the RBR for wired connected devices. 

If you are running out of LAN ports and need more, add a Non Managed, Non Green Ethernet external LAN switch to the back of the RBR then connect your devices to the switch. Switches come in 5 and 8 port for starters. 

Message 2 of 6
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

Thanks I was just drawing out a diagram of how I would set this up correctly and I think I can make it work with what I have.

Current setup is the following (see attachment Orbi setup1)

Im okay with the current setup as the wireless backhaul is pretty solid but if I can improve performance by wiring one satellite backhaul at zero cost, why not?>

Message 3 of 6
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

Proposed setup (see attachment Orbi setup2).

Message 4 of 6
HomeBrewJoe
Aspirant

so if  I connect an ethernet from the WAN on the Orbi router to the FiOS gateway, and a second ethernet from the LAN on the Orbi router to the FiOS gateway, it will function as a wired connection through MoCA for the satellite connected to a MoCA adapter?

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I used the built-in MoCHA to link my Tivo units and also fed the main Tivo with ethernet by connecting a MoCHA adapter to my router. So, yes, my understanding is that each device has to "get onto MoCHA" with an ethernet to MoCHA adapter.  So, you need two: one for the router and one for each satellite that you want to connect over MoCHA.  (I have since switched to PowerLine because I didn't have coax throughout this older house, but do have electrical circuits everywhere.)

I have less confidence when FIOS is involved.  In my case, Time-Warner had nothing to do with my use of the coax cables within my house for MoCHA data.  We were separate systems using the same cable medium.  They sent cable TV and internet over part of the cable bandwidth and I used the MoCHA part for my own LAN.  I have no idea what FIOS does with MoCHA.  Is that how they connect televisions?  Additional data ports?

I also do not know what the effective bandwidth over MoCHA will turn out to be.  MoCHA is one of those "backward compatible" systems like PowerLine, where even one "old" adapter on the network can slow everything to the lowest speed.

If you get it to work, please report how it went.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7