Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet is not working on main router (but working on Satellite)

ji0906
Aspirant

Ethernet is not working on main router (but working on Satellite)

Hello,

I just installed Orbi (RBK50). It was very easy to install, but one problem. "Ethernet port on the main router" seemed not working.  I connected my laptop and other items to the Ethernet port on the main router, but couldn't connect to the internet. 

Surprisingly, I was able to connect to the internet via "Ethernet port on Satellite". I'm wondering whether I should set up something on main router. 

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Ethernet is not working on main router (but working on Satellite)

Do other LAN devices connect to any of the LAN ports on the Orbi router?

Swap LAN cables between router and Laptop...

Besure your laptop networking settings are set for Auto Obtain IP addressing.

Message 2 of 12
ji0906
Aspirant

Thank you for the comment!

When I test, I just connect one computer and removed other LAN devices from LAN ports on the Orbi router. I also used the same laptop and cable when I did the test  ... I was able to connect the internet via Satellite, but not able to connect the internet through main Orbi router.  

I will double check my computer setting and cable again.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What other devices do you have connected to the LAN ports on the router?

Message 4 of 12
ji0906
Aspirant

Currently nothing.

Ideally those devices on the main router.

- Powerview Hub which controls blind (and needs to connect via Ethernet). Currently connected via Satellite, but would like to connect on the main router. 

https://www.hunterdouglas.com/operating-systems/motorized/powerview-motorization/works-with

- The Blueray player which only has the Ethernet port.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you connect those devices to the back of the router, do they get an IP address and get access to the internet?

Message 6 of 12
ji0906
Aspirant

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for the belated reply.  Please see attached images.

Photo 1 : When I connected my computer to the "satellite" with Ethernet, I could get an IP address and connect to the internet.  

Photo 2 : When I connected the same computer to the "main router" with Ethernet, I couldn't get an IP address (= no Internet access).

I checked the router status (Photo 3) and it looks like that Router recognized Ethernet (but never get IP address).

Here is my setting of DCHP setting (Photo 4).

It looks like DHCP server only works on the satellite, but not on the main router.  Is there any setting which I should change? 

Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So this happens across all the LAN ports with this particular PC?

Do you have another PC or laptop you can test with to see of this happens with a different PC?

Possible that the Router is not working right. One then to try, ethernet connect the PC to the router and factory reset the router. Use Safari to walk thru the setup wizard and complete the set up. After the setup, does the ethernet connected PC get internet? On the PCs networking page, select DNS here, there should be a 192.168.1.1 address here.

Also try setting up custom DNS on the RBR router, try 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9, save settings and reboot. Then check the DNS settings on the PC.

Message 8 of 12
ji0906
Aspirant

Thank you!

This happens to all Ethernet port on the main router. I tried with another device (such as Apple TV), but it can't connect internet. 

As you recommended, I will do t factory reset and set it up again. he

Thank you!

Jun

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know the results...

Message 10 of 12
ji0906
Aspirant

Sorry for the belated reply.

I reset router completely (factory reset) and set it up again ... but Ethernet still doesn't work.

I also installed the newest Firmware which was released yesterday, but the result was the same.

I felt like that my router is incipient failure ... so I might ask shop to change it.

I'll keep posted. Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, sounds like the ports or the router portion of the Orib is bad. Get it replaced.

@ji0906 wrote:

Sorry for the belated reply.

I reset router completely (factory reset) and set it up again ... but Ethernet still doesn't work.

I also installed the newest Firmware which was released yesterday, but the result was the same.

I felt like that my router is incipient failure ... so I might ask shop to change it.

I'll keep posted. Thank you!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7