Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet ports active when Orbi is set as Access Point?

StanM
Aspirant

Ethernet ports active when Orbi is set as Access Point?

My cable modem and router (separate devices) are located in the basement. Ethernet lines are run from the router to various rooms throughout the house. I would like to install the Orbi system upstairs using one of these router's ports (instead of connecting directly to the modem). I read that this can be done by configuring the Orbi as an access point. Can anyone confirm? Also, when setup as an access point, are the wired ethernet ports on the Orbi still active?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StanM
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! I already ordered the Orbi system and I'm considering which installation option is easiest while still providing good coverage. This helps alot. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Yes and Yes.

However, a collection of wireless access points might be a better solution if you already have Ethernet wiring throughout the house. Something like the Netgear Insight.

Message 2 of 7
StanM
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! I already ordered the Orbi system and I'm considering which installation option is easiest while still providing good coverage. This helps alot. Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
StanM
Aspirant

A followup question, please: When connecting the Orbi base to the existing router do I use the Orbi WAN input or one of the Orbi ethernet ports?

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

You must connect Orbi to your router using the Yellow Internet port, not one of the LAN ports.  Otherwise, Orbi will light up magenta and think there is no Internet connection.

Message 5 of 7
StanM
Aspirant

Thanks st_shaw. I guess the Access Point setting takes care of shutting off the IP address generation from the Orbi and uses the router, correct?

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Correct.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7