Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet versus wireless when your wired system is stuck with a 10/100 switch

jasperx
Tutor

Ethernet versus wireless when your wired system is stuck with a 10/100 switch

The system is configured with both satellites and the Router (in AP mode) connected to the ATT Pace Router.  It seems to be running great though one day I caught the Orbi Router glowing red.  I didn't have time to deal with it and the next day all was well.

I have read the comments in other strings that the Ethernet connection is ALWAYS superior to the wireless.  What I did not see in those pronouncements is whether the presence of a 10/100 switch between the Orbi units and the router would change this.  My house came with a GE Security system that has a 10/100 switch built into the panel.  GE abandoned the security business and sold out and it appears that a gigabit switch component was never created.  Upgrading that switch in the telco setup will be a PIA.  I had thought that resetting the Orbi units to wireless might give a speed boost.  Now I am less sure because of the several factors that cut speed in half multiple times.

Will the Orbi Wi Fi be faster than ethernet run through 10/100 equipment?  If so, how much?  If so, where are the instructions for swapping out the mode?

If the WiFi truely is ALWAYS slower, it looks like I am going to be building a fancy patch setup to make room for a gigabit switch as in this photo.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Ethernet versus wireless when your wired system is stuck with a 10/100 switch

@jasperx wrote:

Pace Router (isp) to 10/100 switch > House Cat5e > Orbi Satellites is the setup.  

Internet comes into the house at gigabit plus speed.  First device it hits is a fast Pace Router.  Second device it hits is a 10/100 switch. From the 10/100 switch cat5e carries data to the three Orbi devices.

My alternative setup is to connect Orbi router (AP) to the Pace directly. Then connect each Orbi sattellite via wifi back to the Orbi router.

This is the question... is the ethernet backhaul ALWAYS faster than the wifi? Or does the presence of a 10/100 bottleneck in the form of a switch, make ethernet a slower option than the wifi?

I think using a 10/100 switch will limit your network on all interfaces in this setup.

If you have good radio conditions then the wifi backhaul can provide you with 1.7 Gbps interface. So yes, get rid of this switch and connect the ISP router directly to Orbi and use wireless backhaul from the router to the satellites if the Orbi nodes are within reasonable distance from each other.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Ethernet versus wireless when your wired system is stuck with a 10/100 switch

No photo attached.

Message 2 of 9
jasperx
Tutor

with photo

Message 3 of 9
ekhalil
Master

When you talk about wired vs. wireless connectivity, to which interfaces do you refer to:

1. Interface between Orbi and the ISP router?
  2. interface between Orbi router and satellites?
  3. interface between devices and Orbi network?
Message 4 of 9
jasperx
Tutor

Pace Router (isp) to 10/100 switch > House Cat5e > Orbi Satellites is the setup.  

Internet comes into the house at gigabit plus speed.  First device it hits is a fast Pace Router.  Second device it hits is a 10/100 switch. From the 10/100 switch cat5e carries data to the three Orbi devices.

My alternative setup is to connect Orbi router (AP) to the Pace directly. Then connect each Orbi sattellite via wifi back to the Orbi router.

This is the question... is the ethernet backhaul ALWAYS faster than the wifi? Or does the presence of a 10/100 bottleneck in the form of a switch, make ethernet a slower option than the wifi?

Message 5 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@jasperx wrote:

I think using a 10/100 switch will limit your network on all interfaces in this setup.

If you have good radio conditions then the wifi backhaul can provide you with 1.7 Gbps interface. So yes, get rid of this switch and connect the ISP router directly to Orbi and use wireless backhaul from the router to the satellites if the Orbi nodes are within reasonable distance from each other.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you want to use a switch between the Orbi router and satellites or between any LAN device now days, you will want to get into a 1000mb or 1Gb non managed network switch. 10/100 is becoming out dated and most RJ45 ported devices now days support up to 1000mb speeds, including the Orbi system. So you would want the best speeds and performances of wired speeds as possible. 

Suggested switches to review:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS105.aspx

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108.aspx

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS116v1.aspx

@jasperx wrote:

Message 7 of 9
jasperx
Tutor

Gigabit switches in a form factor that works in these telco boxes are uncommon.  One vendor seems to be making them and they are not cheap.  Compared to starting over with the entire box or making a mess, this device might be a good option.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

NG and D-Link have good non manges switches that are cheaper and run well with Orbi. You can find them on Amazon as well. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7