Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Even a free router has better device management

mith_it
Luminary

Even a free router has better device management

It must be embarrassing to charge hundreds of dollars for the Orbi and think that even the Arris that ISPs like AT&T give away for free have better device management and bandwidth monitoring.

I'm not sure if it's more embarrassing for the netgear team or for us that we bought it.

Also, what do people who paid $1000 for the new Wifi 6 models think? Are you really going to pay that much upfront and then pay a monthly fee for the additional services netgear seems to be building in this direction?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Even a free router has better device management

I am involved in installing pretty much every brand and model of networking devices. 

I find it so funny that some users with Orbi systems love them and others hate them. I also find the same thing with Linksys Velop, Eero, Nest, Zen, TP-Link, Ubiquiti and more.

I gues that's why there are so many brands.

Message 2 of 4
mith_it
Luminary

Agree with you I've heard all sorts of loving and hating. I am personally very happy with the Orbi plus Voxel customizations to support USB drives and only miss this
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The truly embarrassing part are the business models ISPs in some markets have on Internet connections - block the common standard ports like 80/TCP, 443/TCP, 21/TCP to prohibit users running some services on their consumer connections ("you have to sign a business contract" - OK this s**t seems to be gone, or we don't here much in the communities about people which can't reach theirs systems from remote by a direct connection), offer carrier grade NAT on IPv4 ("..."), put up unreal monthly limits on data amounts, ... Wonder what comes up next. 

Compare to a POTS phone: You can place calls but not receive calls; you can have phone calls only for a limited monthly time, ... unless you buy additional services to have the common ports open, get a public routable IPv4 address, get monthly fair usage data allowances which are reasonable, ... People in your country would send out the lawyers! They probably have.

Of course these ISPs have to provide some more insight on thier CPEs.

Granted ... Netgear's device management (is there any? hard if the lists shown are unreliable...) and hourly/daily/weekly/monthly/other freely configurable time span bandwidth reporting does not even exist.

But here the next "fun" is coming up - especially by the big vendors of mobile and portable devices: For the sake of privacy, Apple and Google are offering - new installations default to this - random MAC addresses with each connection to a network, even the vendor part of the MAC is changing. Not that these vendors break standards (aka. the Internet "laws"), I wish you good luck with the ideas of "client management" and "bandwidth monitoring". Soon we will see hundreds or thousands of "devices" connecting to your wireless networks. DHCP servers will start to run out of resources much faster than it should, ...  8-)))))

For my part, I would like a router being able to check for a correct registered vendor part of the OID and refuse DHCP handing out IP addresses and prohibit any network access to "random" OIDs. Why? Loss of management control. And from that point we can talk about "client management" and "bandwidth monitoring" again my friend.

@mith_it wrote:
Are you really going to pay that much upfront and then pay a monthly fee for the additional services netgear seems to be building in this direction?

Not sure what correlation there is - have you spotted an existing or coming up Netgear paid service which would offer per device bandwidth monitoring?

PS. Yes, the industry (not just Netgear) is sleeping - they are unable to adopt in time.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7