Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Experiencing Airplay 2 dropouts and disconnects: can Orbi help?

switters
Apprentice

Experiencing Airplay 2 dropouts and disconnects: can Orbi help?

I'm considering an RBK50. One issue I'm having with our current home network is that Airplay 2 often disconnects or drops out when I'm streaming audio to Sonos or VSSL speakers. (VSSL is similar to Sonos, except that it allows streaming to wired speakers installed in the house rather than wireless speakers.)

Both the Sonos and VSSL systems are in "wired" configuration. In the case of Sonos, this means that one speaker is connected to the router (via a switch) and then Sonos apparently creates its own wireless network. In the case of VSSL, the hub is connected to the router via a switch and it also creates its own network. This is supposed to make interference less likely. 

Just wondering what results folks here are getting with Orbi and Airplay 2.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Experiencing Airplay 2 dropouts and disconnects: can Orbi help?

Though wired is preferred, since SONOS still creates and broadcasts a wifi signal this still may have some near by interference seen with Orbi's wifi signal. There are only a few 5Ghz channels to use which some SONOS use or due to the fact that the wireless backhaul on Orbi uses only the higher 149-165 channels on 5Ghz, which these can't be changed. Some SONOs may interfere here as well. 

I think placement of SONOs a far away from Orbi as possible should be the first step. Configure SONOs channels as far appart from what Orbi uses, if possible. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7