Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Experiencing slow connections and signals, how to properly analyze?

chronojinxiii
Follower

Experiencing slow connections and signals, how to properly analyze?

Device:
Orbi Router RBK50 (1 Router RBR60, 1 Satellite RBS50)
Firmware: v2.1.2.18 (latest)

I want to ask for specific/detailed instructions on how I can analyze and fix my issue on expericing slow speeds and unstable signals.

In general, I often see random drops in speed/connection/signal (Wireless), even after restarting the router and modem. Is there recommended steps, specific tools,  or specific things to check?

-I am expected to see (my internet plan):

150Mbps down

15Mbps up

MU-MIMO and BeamForming enabled

-During each below scenarios, the SpeedTest from NetGear Orbi app and orbilogin.com (I believe it is testing router to internet), I do see the max 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up.

-I don't test wired connection every time, but when I do, I do see 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up on speedtest.net when PC connected to ethernet port.

-In general, we do have various devices connected, but none is heavily using the network.. so in general, the network is free. I know some people will say something like "well we cant answer because you might have a virus or something you dont know running in the background" etc etc... Let's just avoid this.. I'm familar with the software running around my house and I have all heavy-traffic ones turned off and etc.. I don't want to go back and forth on these kind of responses..

What I'm looking for is more of a general procedure on what function/features to check if enabled/disabled or how to test when the network IS normal but I'm experiencing slow speeds/signal from specific devices. 

Though, if someone does recommend a tool for monitoring traffic per device on the network, I am interested in knowing. 

In detail, this is what I am seeing.. 

I do get 150Mbps down and 15 Mbps up on my laptop in the same room.. but

Sometimes I see that my laptop is getting 10Mbps down, 10Mbps up from speedtest.net, while I am consistantly seeing 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up from my android device. Both devices in the same room (same distance from either satellite or router). 

Sometimes, (like just now), I would restart my router and modem.. when standing next to my router and Wi-Fi SweetSpot is reporting 300-400Mbps between my android smartphone and router.. The speed test (using SpeedTest app) only gets 10Mbps down, 10Mbps up.. I also goto other rooms and test different spots but same results.. Then after waiting a few hours with no change to network or workload on other devices.. I just run SpeedTest again and I'm seeing only 30Mbps~ down.. Note that during this time, NetGear Orbi app can do SpeedTest 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up. 

I've also tried.. when I'm next to router (Wi-Fi SweetSpot reports 300-400Mbps between my device and router), my SpeedTest would report 150Mbps down.. then I goto a different room (far away) and test SpeedTest, it would drop to say.. 30Mbps for example.. (At this time, the Wi-Fi SweetSpot also drops to 100-200Mbps).. But then, when I go back next to the router and re-run the SpeedTest, it stays at 30Mbps instead of going back to 150Mbps.. even after disabling/enabling wifi and waiting a few mins, 10mins etc.. (note that Wi-Fi SweetSpot is accurate and goes back up to 300-400Mbps)..

I have tried turning off my device's Wifi and then turning it back on... Is this sufficient? I would expect that when turning it back on, it should auto-connect to the nearest (best connection) router or satellite. 

Also, when I'm next to router, I see consistant 350-400Mbps. But say if I am in the next room and average I do get 100-200Mbps... but when using the Wi-Fi SweetSpot app and I'm just staring at the speed.. it often drops to like 50, 30, 10 Mbps... then it goes back up.. then back down... since the app is a graph, it sometimes stays low Mbps for a few secs.. This is a little different than the above scenarios (as the above is SpeedTest between device and Internet)... but, is there a way to improve the quality of the connection? to stay near 200Mbps?? Note that I do have MU-MIMO and BeamForming enabled.

In general, I'm just not seeing consistancy.. It should go back up when say.. after restart or turning all other devices off.. etc.. or going back to next to the router and turning on/off the wifi and etc.. but it's not.. anyone have tips, tools (better tools), explaination, help with these??

Related Questions:

1) My modem and router are connected to the same power bar thing.. when I power cycle both, I just turn off the power on the power bar for 30secs~ then turn it back on. Is this sufficient to properly power cycle both modem and router? I ask because often instructions specify that the device is unplugged, but I like to confirm if power bars still somehow still supply to the devices, so I should still unplug them instead of powering it off? or is powering off the power bar enough?

2) Any other recommended official tools (or stable/recognized 3rd party tools) for using speed/signal test between device and router? Would prefer free and more modern-looking UI (easier on the eyes..)

3) Does Netgear offer a traffic monitoring tool for Orbi, or recommended free/stable/recognized 3rd party tool that works with Orbi? Specifically, I would like to see Traffic per device on the network.. say at current time, in the last 5 or 30mins, or last day/week/month.. If there is one main place to go and check/confirm which devices are hogging the network and etc.. and also, it could help narrow down which device is stealing bandwidth or maybe help finding viruses that does alot of network access, etc..

Would be really nice to have this.. I am aware there is a Traffic Meter but I only see the overall traffic and it is not per device (or per mac address/ip address)..

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Experiencing slow connections and signals, how to properly analyze?

Users reported many issues w v2.1.2.18 so NG pulled this version from there support site. They recommend downgrading to v2.0.1.4 if your experiencing problems.

You can test with Disabling any of the following or all together:

Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and (20/40Mhz Coexistence if you don't have any old legacy wireless devices. )

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-randomly-dropping-internet-connection-despite-V2-0-0-74/m...

Try this tool to test your router:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

Be sure to do all initial speeds tests with a ethernet wired PC. Use IE11 or FF or Opera browswers to compare speeds. Seen differences between browsers. 

@chronojinxiiiwrote:

Device:
Orbi Router RBK50 (1 Router RBR60, 1 Satellite RBS50)
Firmware: v2.1.2.18 (latest)

I want to ask for specific/detailed instructions on how I can analyze and fix my issue on expericing slow speeds and unstable signals.

In general, I often see random drops in speed/connection/signal (Wireless), even after restarting the router and modem. Is there recommended steps, specific tools,  or specific things to check?

-I am expected to see (my internet plan):

150Mbps down

15Mbps up

MU-MIMO and BeamForming enabled

-During each below scenarios, the SpeedTest from NetGear Orbi app and orbilogin.com (I believe it is testing router to internet), I do see the max 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up.

-I don't test wired connection every time, but when I do, I do see 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up on speedtest.net when PC connected to ethernet port.

-In general, we do have various devices connected, but none is heavily using the network.. so in general, the network is free. I know some people will say something like "well we cant answer because you might have a virus or something you dont know running in the background" etc etc... Let's just avoid this.. I'm familar with the software running around my house and I have all heavy-traffic ones turned off and etc.. I don't want to go back and forth on these kind of responses..

What I'm looking for is more of a general procedure on what function/features to check if enabled/disabled or how to test when the network IS normal but I'm experiencing slow speeds/signal from specific devices. 

Though, if someone does recommend a tool for monitoring traffic per device on the network, I am interested in knowing. 

In detail, this is what I am seeing.. 

I do get 150Mbps down and 15 Mbps up on my laptop in the same room.. but

Sometimes I see that my laptop is getting 10Mbps down, 10Mbps up from speedtest.net, while I am consistantly seeing 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up from my android device. Both devices in the same room (same distance from either satellite or router). 

Sometimes, (like just now), I would restart my router and modem.. when standing next to my router and Wi-Fi SweetSpot is reporting 300-400Mbps between my android smartphone and router.. The speed test (using SpeedTest app) only gets 10Mbps down, 10Mbps up.. I also goto other rooms and test different spots but same results.. Then after waiting a few hours with no change to network or workload on other devices.. I just run SpeedTest again and I'm seeing only 30Mbps~ down.. Note that during this time, NetGear Orbi app can do SpeedTest 150Mbps down and 15Mbps up. 

I've also tried.. when I'm next to router (Wi-Fi SweetSpot reports 300-400Mbps between my device and router), my SpeedTest would report 150Mbps down.. then I goto a different room (far away) and test SpeedTest, it would drop to say.. 30Mbps for example.. (At this time, the Wi-Fi SweetSpot also drops to 100-200Mbps).. But then, when I go back next to the router and re-run the SpeedTest, it stays at 30Mbps instead of going back to 150Mbps.. even after disabling/enabling wifi and waiting a few mins, 10mins etc.. (note that Wi-Fi SweetSpot is accurate and goes back up to 300-400Mbps)..

I have tried turning off my device's Wifi and then turning it back on... Is this sufficient? I would expect that when turning it back on, it should auto-connect to the nearest (best connection) router or satellite. 

Also, when I'm next to router, I see consistant 350-400Mbps. But say if I am in the next room and average I do get 100-200Mbps... but when using the Wi-Fi SweetSpot app and I'm just staring at the speed.. it often drops to like 50, 30, 10 Mbps... then it goes back up.. then back down... since the app is a graph, it sometimes stays low Mbps for a few secs.. This is a little different than the above scenarios (as the above is SpeedTest between device and Internet)... but, is there a way to improve the quality of the connection? to stay near 200Mbps?? Note that I do have MU-MIMO and BeamForming enabled.

In general, I'm just not seeing consistancy.. It should go back up when say.. after restart or turning all other devices off.. etc.. or going back to next to the router and turning on/off the wifi and etc.. but it's not.. anyone have tips, tools (better tools), explaination, help with these??

Related Questions:

1) My modem and router are connected to the same power bar thing.. when I power cycle both, I just turn off the power on the power bar for 30secs~ then turn it back on. Is this sufficient to properly power cycle both modem and router? I ask because often instructions specify that the device is unplugged, but I like to confirm if power bars still somehow still supply to the devices, so I should still unplug them instead of powering it off? or is powering off the power bar enough?

2) Any other recommended official tools (or stable/recognized 3rd party tools) for using speed/signal test between device and router? Would prefer free and more modern-looking UI (easier on the eyes..)

3) Does Netgear offer a traffic monitoring tool for Orbi, or recommended free/stable/recognized 3rd party tool that works with Orbi? Specifically, I would like to see Traffic per device on the network.. say at current time, in the last 5 or 30mins, or last day/week/month.. If there is one main place to go and check/confirm which devices are hogging the network and etc.. and also, it could help narrow down which device is stealing bandwidth or maybe help finding viruses that does alot of network access, etc..

Would be really nice to have this.. I am aware there is a Traffic Meter but I only see the overall traffic and it is not per device (or per mac address/ip address)..

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7