Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Orbi Outdoor signal for cameras

sherbear97124
Aspirant

Extend Orbi Outdoor signal for cameras

I have the Orbi RBR50 with the 2 indoor satellites plus one Orbi Outdoor satellite. The outdoor satellite is accessing the Orbi router directly. Sadly, our place is "blessed" with a whopping 18Mbps of DSL (I live in a rural setting). I'm using Ziply/Frontier's standard issue DSL modem/router. I'm not sure if a Nighthawk modem would even work with my pitiful service. The Ziply modem wifi barely reaches outside of our office. The house is a single level manufactured home

The Orbi Outdoor is about 150' from the Orbi router and shows green, so the signal there is good. Then I'm connecting my Ring floodlight camera which is about 75' to the Orbi Outdoor satellite (think facing slightly WNW as you're facing the outdoor satellite). There are 2 other cameras connected to my Orbi system that get decent signals. The floodlight camera, however, always seems to show as "Poor wifi signal". There are only a few thin trees between the two. so that shouldn't be an interference factor.

Is there a good or better way to boost that Orbi signal to that camera that sits approximately 225'-250' from the house? Or do I just need to wait for 5G to make a full debut to get anything worthwhile?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Extend Orbi Outdoor signal for cameras

@sherbear97124 wrote:

Is there a good or better way to boost that Orbi signal to that camera that sits approximately 225'-250' from the house? Or do I just need to wait for 5G to make a full debut to get anything worthwhile?

There are a bunch of topics in this post.

• Modem and Internet speed are irrelevant to getting security cameras connected.
    That is entirely internal to the Orbi network.
    It may be relevant to how successfully video feeds can be viewed remotely.
  • 150' is a LONG distance to maintain a good WiFi backhaul signal.
    I am impressed.  Ordinarily I would not expect such a connection to be "good".
  • 75' is also a substantial distance for a WiFi connection.

Is it correct to assume that the Orbi "app" is being used to manage this Orbi network?

If so, when you open that camera in the Device Manager and tap on the camera, the app should display the "Link Rate".
If that amount is great enough to provide a video feed, then the number of "arcs" displayed on the WiFi connection should not matter.

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

First off WIFI 5G will not help you as it has a shorter distance disadvantage over 2.4G which  offers coverage for farther distances. It appears you would have to get another outdoor Orbi to shorten the distance between satellites and the main router. 

I have 100000 sq ft warehouses where 1 RBR50 is at one end, and RBS50 is at the other end and 1 RBS50 is in the middle. Coverage is fair but not good. Top WIFI speed is 140Mbps, but good enough since all the PCs are older and don't have GB cards installed. So this is why I'm thinking you need another Orbi.

Message 3 of 6

@Mstrbig wrote:

First off WIFI 5G will not help you as it has a shorter distance disadvantage over 2.4G which  offers coverage for farther distances. 

Maybe they mean 5G mobile rather than 5 GHz wifi.

5G technology is, indeed, designed to fill IoT gaps, but the wait might be long, especially if President Trumps gets his way.

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

First off WIFI 5G will not help you as it has a shorter distance disadvantage over 2.4G which  offers coverage for farther distances. 

Maybe they mean 5G mobile rather than 5 GHz wifi.

5G technology is, indeed, designed to fill IoT gaps, but the wait might be long, especially if President Trumps gets his way.

I thought so too as well. But after thinking about it 5G Cellphone service 5G, the cameras would have to support directly connecting to the Cellphone carrier's 5G network or the same distance problem would still exist. 

One other thing I thought of would be to change out the camera antennas with more powerful higher db gain antennas. If I remember correctly the standard antenna is less than 3db. Increasing to 9db should help. Terrain would come into play. The flatter the terrain between devices the better. They are not that expensive so it may be worth a try.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might review this product:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wbc502.aspx

200-250ft is going to be too far to maintain wifi signals for just a camera. 

@sherbear97124 wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR50 with the 2 indoor satellites plus one Orbi Outdoor satellite. The outdoor satellite is accessing the Orbi router directly. Sadly, our place is "blessed" with a whopping 18Mbps of DSL (I live in a rural setting). I'm using Ziply/Frontier's standard issue DSL modem/router. I'm not sure if a Nighthawk modem would even work with my pitiful service. The Ziply modem wifi barely reaches outside of our office. The house is a single level manufactured home

The Orbi Outdoor is about 150' from the Orbi router and shows green, so the signal there is good. Then I'm connecting my Ring floodlight camera which is about 75' to the Orbi Outdoor satellite (think facing slightly WNW as you're facing the outdoor satellite). There are 2 other cameras connected to my Orbi system that get decent signals. The floodlight camera, however, always seems to show as "Poor wifi signal". There are only a few thin trees between the two. so that shouldn't be an interference factor.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7