Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Orbi wifi(details within)

sandman512
Apprentice

Extend Orbi wifi(details within)

So, just installed the RBK53S-100NAS in my house.  I was able to successfully wire up the satellites.  The signal strength is good , no issues except one spot, out in my garage.  I am not able to move the satellites closer to the garage the way my house is situated.  My question is, is there a way to extend the network with out purchasing another satellite, IE: extender etc....  Thank you!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extend Orbi wifi(details within)

Run a LAN cable closer towards the garage and move a RBS closer if possible. 

Run a LAN cable out to the garage and put an RBS there.

What is the distance from the garage to the house or from garage to closest RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 6
sandman512
Apprentice

House is 3000 sq/ft.  The distance from the router to the satellite is approx 35-35 feet, but they are daisy chained.  The distance from the RBS to the garage is 40 feet, BUT goes through a few wall/doors.  I could run a cable to the garage, but there are two concerns.  First, will I sacrifice WiFi in the room/area where I need it first.  Second, the garage can range in temp being that I live in the NY.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

Look at the specs of the RBR or RBS in the spec sheet. See if temps are with in operation range. You could put a laptop cooler under the RBS if placed in the garage. 

Message 4 of 6
sandman512
Apprentice

Ok, thanks, I'll give a look.  I was curious if I could get a NETGEAR Wifi Range Extender EX3700 and just plug in a cable from the closet satellite to this extender since it has a Ethernet port.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No, they are not compatible with Orbi from some others have said. Unless NG came out with a FW update to help. I had to get some for my EX7700s from NG to make them compatible. Which I'd have to revert back to released FW to make them work with non Orbi wifi. If anything, you could wire connect up a EX3700 and run it in AP mode. You'd have two separate wifi SSIDs though. Which would be ok for the garage area. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7