Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend Range of Orbi RBK50 System

Mundorff
Aspirant

Extend Range of Orbi RBK50 System

We have an exiting Orbi RBK50 mesh sytem in our single story 3400 sq-ft home. I want to extend our wifi coverage to our detached garage. Can I use a Netgear power line adapter system to connect the Orbi base unit to a new Orbi satellite installed in the garage?  All of the house electric power comes to the circuit breakers in the garage.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Extend Range of Orbi RBK50 System

@Mundorff wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  It has given me something more to think about. Do you have any experience with the performance capability of daisy chaining Orbi satellites?

Alas, no. All of my satellites connect directly to the router.  There have been many posts on the forum describing a "Daisy Chain" being successful.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes..... and "Maybe".

The good part about PowerLine is that the devices all sense that they are connected to an ethernet cable.  They have (literally) no way to know that they are actually using a different technology to get from point to point.  The satellite will sense an ethernet connection (should be gigabit port) and switch to wired backhaul.

The bad part about PowerLine is that the performance varies tremendously based on distance, interference, and the quality of the wiring.

I now have three TP-Link PowerLine adapters installed.  PowerLine reports the 'link speed' between A and B as between 900 and 1,200mbs, but the link between A and C is only from 380 to 400. (It varies from minute to minute.)

PowerLine is similar to WiFi in that only one device can broadcast on the wire at a time. And PowerLine has the same sorts of 'overhead' that WiFi does.  (broadcasts, request to send, checksums, etc. etc.) The effect throughput on PowerLine may be only half of what their 'link speed' claims.  Fortunately for me, I am using this link to feed a DVR and even 100mb would be more than adequate.

Originally, I had four PowerLine units with the 4th one supporting IP security cameras mounted on my garage. But that unit kept going off line and the unreliability was so frustrating that I bought an Orbi RBS40V (they were about $99 for a while.).

Message 2 of 4
Mundorff
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  It has given me something more to think about. Do you have any experience with the performance capability of daisy chaining Orbi satellites?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mundorff wrote:

Alas, no. All of my satellites connect directly to the router.  There have been many posts on the forum describing a "Daisy Chain" being successful.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7