Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend wifi for Arlo Pro 3 camera

piperg
Tutor

Extend wifi for Arlo Pro 3 camera

I have the Orbi RBR 40 located at one end of my house in my home office. I have the satelilte at the other end in the living room. We've had great success with our wifi and fast wifi speeds. I've had three Arlo Pro 2 cameras outside for the last year, also with much success. I just added two Arlo Pro 3 cameras. The one spot outside where I really needed to add a camera seems to be in a dead zone. Ironically, if I could drill through the wall the camera would be less than 10 feet from the satellite. With the Arlo Pro 3 it has a setting where I can see how well it is connecting with the wifi signal. I am getting mostly a weak signal. I moved the satellite to a storage room near where this particular camera is and there was no improvement.

How can I extend this signal? I'm not sure if the distance is the problem or the "going thru walls". The Arlo should reach 300', but is reduced with every wall it goes through.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
piperg
Tutor

Re: Extend wifi for Arlo Pro 3 camera

So the solution was to buy a wifi extender with an ethernet port and connect the Arlo Pro 3 Base closer to the camera location. Apparently, the Pro 3s can not connect to the internet via satellite, it has to be the base hub.

Problem resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check in to a RBS50Y outdoor satellite. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@piperg wrote:

Ironically, if I could drill through the wall the camera would be less than 10 feet from the satellite. With the Arlo Pro 3 it has a setting where I can see how well it is connecting with the wifi signal. I am getting mostly a weak signal. I moved the satellite to a storage room near where this particular camera is and there was no improvement.

What kind of wall is this? Sometimes moving the device and/or satellite only a few feet can make a difference in WiFi signal strength.

If an Orbi satellite 10' from this wall will not penetrate it, then a WiFi extender is not likely to, either.

Message 3 of 6
piperg
Tutor

That's a valid point. I live at the beach, so my house is built on pilings. Half the house (lengthwise) is enclosed with a storage room and "basement". The other half is like a carport. Currently, 2 of my 5 cameras are on the side of the carport area where everything is open and I have a strong signal. 2 of the 5 are up on the main floor level. The one I am having the problem with is in front of the storage room. As soon as I round the corner of the piling in the corner of that storage room the signal increases. I put the satellite in the storage room and the signal did not improve. The wall is made of studs, sheetrock and clapboard siding.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I am probably not visualizing it correctly, but radio waves basically go in a straight line and 2 feet of solid wood between the WiFi access point and a little battery powered camera would be a lot to penetrate.

Message 5 of 6
piperg
Tutor

So the solution was to buy a wifi extender with an ethernet port and connect the Arlo Pro 3 Base closer to the camera location. Apparently, the Pro 3s can not connect to the internet via satellite, it has to be the base hub.

Problem resolved.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7