Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending Orbi with EX3700

OrbiRocks
Guide

Extending Orbi with EX3700

I have a Netgear EX3700 extender that I'd like to use as an Extender and install in a nearby shop building and connect it to the closest sattelite on my Orbi RBK23 system. But it doesn't seem to be working.  Does the EX3700 have to connect to the main Orbi (which is in AP mode)?  I can get it to connect to the sattelite, but then it has no internet connection.  It seems like it works when I put it near the main unit, but it doesn't seem to want to daisy chain off the closest sattelite.

If I bought a Netgear AC750 (or AC1200) would those be able to daisy chain off my closest sattelite?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

I have a Netgear EX3700 extender that I'd like to use as an Extender and install in a nearby shop building and connect it to the closest sattelite on my Orbi RBK23 system. But it doesn't seem to be working.  Does the EX3700 have to connect to the main Orbi (which is in AP mode)?  I can get it to connect to the sattelite, but then it has no internet connection.  It seems like it works when I put it near the main unit, but it doesn't seem to want to daisy chain off the closest sattelite.

If I bought a Netgear AC750 (or AC1200) would those be able to daisy chain off my closest sattelite?

This is the product, correct: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX3700.aspx 

When you follow the setup video and connect it to the satellite (in the same room to reduce travel time), and then connect something to the extender SSID, does the device "connect"?  Does it get an IP address?

I have connected a similar Netgear extender to my Orbi when I was investigating an IoT device that was difficult to set up.  Worked fine.  Although to be honest, I did connect it to the router because I was doing the experiment in my "lair".

Message 2 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Yes, that is the device.  I can connect to it after I have set it up, but I have no internet.

Message 3 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

Yes, that is the device.  I can connect to it after I have set it up, but I have no internet.

Does the device get network setup information:

• IP address?
  • Gateway IP address?
  • DNS IP address?

Since the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, the Gateway and DNS IP addresses should be identical to every other device, and the device IP address should be in the same "subnet" as the other WiFi devices.

Message 4 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Does anyone know if the Netgear AC750 (or AC1200) are able to daisy chain off an Orbi Sattelite, and act as another sattelite ?

Message 5 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

Does anyone know if the Netgear AC750 (or AC1200) are able to daisy chain off an Orbi Sattelite, and act as another sattelite ?

The answer to this is very clear.  No way.  Never.  Can't be done.  Only an Orbi "satellite" has the firmware  needed to act as a "satellite".

I still think it should be possible to connect an "extender" as an "extender".  The "satellite" functions simply will not apply.  For example, when a device "roams" from one Orbi toward another, the Orbi's communicate and use WiFi standard protocols to suggest that the device move from one access point to the other.  Not going to happen with the extender.

Message 6 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Do you know this for a fact?  The two Netgear models I posted say they work with Mesh systems

.NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX6150

Message 7 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

Do you know this for a fact?  The two Netgear models I posted say they work with Mesh systems

.NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX6150

"Work with" is  not the same as "function exactly like an Orbi satellite."  They should function with an Orbi the same way they function with any other brand of router (Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, TP-Link, etc. etc.)  Notice the description, "Works with any standard WiFi router".

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/EX6150.pdf 

Message 8 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

All I need to know is if it will connect to an Orbi sattelite and supply a connection to the internet. The main Orbi device is too far away, so it will have to connect to a sattelite.  The EX3700 does not seem to be able to do this.

Message 9 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

All I need to know is if it will connect to an Orbi sattelite and supply a connection to the internet. The main Orbi device is too far away, so it will have to connect to a sattelite.  The EX3700 does not seem to be able to do this.

I do not have a Netgear "extender".  However, I do have a TP-Link TL-WA855RE extender, which I purchased specifically to test issues with 2.4G IoT devices.  It is only capable of 2.4G, which is one reason it cost $19.99.

http://download.fp-usa.com/product_docs/wifi-adapter/TP-Link-TL-WA855RE-Ver2.pdf 

Just now, I plugged it in next to my Orbi RBS50 satellite and did the "WPS Sync".  As the attached screen shot shows, Orbi Attached Devices shows that the WA855RE is now connected to the satellite (at 2.4G which is all it can do).  It has automatically created a WiFi access point called ("MyOrbiName-EXT").  I hauled out an old laptop and connected to this new WiFi network.  Got an IP address.  Open a web browser and "it works."  The laptop shows up on the Orbi Attached Devices display as connected to the satellite.

Can I "guarantee" that a Netgear "extender" will work?  Well, unless it is drastically less capable than my $20 TP-Link extender, I certainly hope so.  (My last guarantee was that "you know who" could never win the nomiination, much less the election.  After the way THAT turned out, no more guarantees!)

Message 10 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

I was hoping to hear a response from someone who works at Orbi about whether this will work or not.

Message 11 of 32
plemans
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

I was hoping to hear a response from someone who works at Orbi about whether this will work or not.

Its rare to find an actual netgear employee on here since this is the community forum. 

And @CrimpOn is great with orbi systems. You're getting the answers you need but not grasping what it means.

Can you add an extender to orbi? yes

Will it function like an orbi satellite? No

Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Historical posts I remember said that stock FW does not allow EX3700s to connect. One user I remember contacted NG support and NG game them a beta version of EX FW to install which made there EX3700 connect to Orbi. I also tried the same thing with my EX7700s and they would not connect. I asked NG about this and they sent me beta FW For the 7700s. Which worked to get the EX7700s connected to Orbi. You might ask NG support about this FW. 

@OrbiRocks wrote:

Message 13 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Thanks Furry, that is what I sort of suspected.  I can connect to the main router, but not the sattelite with the EX700.  I'm thinking of ordering one of the new Mesh Extenders, but I first need to know if it will actually be able to connect to a sattelite.  I guess I'll have to call Netgear support and see if I can get an answer.

Message 14 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

@Christian_R 

Message 15 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

I'm thinking of ordering one of the new Mesh Extenders, but I first need to know if it will actually be able to connect to a sattelite.

It may prove useful to be very clear about the terminology and exact model number if you are able to reach Netgear.

The EX3700, for example, is a "range extender" not a "mesh extender."

Since the newer "mesh" extenders are much more costly, you are right to ask about "Orbi satellite".  When reading through the promotional literature on the "newest and greatest" EAX80 ($220 on Amazon), they seem to be really slippery about what happens when it is used with a "legacy" (non AX) router, and the Orbi system is not mentioned at all (let alone "satellite").

From a brief glance at the community forum for AX and Nighthawk extenders, it looks like there are the same sort of questions I see on this forum, "Doesn't do (this or that)"

Amazon won't have the old EX3700 in stock until May 6, or I would order one to test.  (But, prehaps the conversation has moved on to other products making that adventure unproductive.)

Message 16 of 32
plemans
Guru

Other option? Run an underground ethernet cord to the shop. 

Then run the EX3700 in AP mode. 

You'd get better performance as you won't take the speed hit you'd take from using an extender.

Plus, you'd have the option to upgrade in the future pretty easily since you've already got the cable ran. 

Might even be about break even on price if you run it yourself versus having to buy a satellite or different extender. 

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Well that was quick...

Message 18 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Seems like my post dissapeared??

I guess I could retype it all.  Spent quite a bit of time talking with support and learned some new info.

Message 19 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  Posted reply two times, and both times it has been deleted.  I didn't think I said anything negative, not sure I understand why my posts are being removed.

Message 20 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. I was reading thru your responce. Nothing negative. 

Thought the 1st level phone support may not be aware of a beta or a non release FW version that was given to a few that had the EX3700. 

You might ask @Christian_R to see if this is still available. It's up to you though. In mean time, connect the EX in AP mode if you need additional signal, though it won't be apart of the MESH system. 

Message 21 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

1. You can not reliably connect any Netgear (or any other brand) Extender to an Orbi. It may work one time and not another, and even when succesful it will only connect to one band, not both. This has been exactly what I have experienced.

2. The person I spoke to was not aware of any Beta firmware for the EX3700 to make it work better with an Orbi.

3. Connecting an extender also causes the Orbi bandwidth to split, which reduces the whole speed of your Orbi system, and is not recomended for this reason.

4. The only reliable way to extend an Orbi is with another Orbi sattelite, like the RBW30, RBS20, or RBS50. This is however the most expensive route to go. The cheapest one (RBW20) is around $150.

5. I enquired about the Power Line adapters thinking this might be a better solution for my shop building. I learned the range on them is about 200 meters, but both adapters must be connected to the same "leg" or phase of the power system.

Running underground CAT6 is another option, but it will ending up costing about the same as a power line adapter, and will be a lot more work.

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I see this post. 

@OrbiRocks wrote:

1. You can not reliably connect any Netgear (or any other brand) Extender to an Orbi. It may work one time and not another, and even when succesful it will only connect to one band, not both. This has been exactly what I have experienced.

2. The person I spoke to was not aware of any Beta firmware for the EX3700 to make it work better with an Orbi.
There is FW that allows a EX3700 or 7700 to connect to Orbi systems. 

3. Connecting an extender also causes the Orbi bandwidth to split, which reduces the whole speed of your Orbi system, and is not recomended for this reason.

4. The only reliable way to extend an Orbi is with another Orbi sattelite, like the RBW30, RBS20, or RBS50. This is however the most expensive route to go. The cheapest one (RBW20) is around $150.

5. I enquired about the Power Line adapters thinking this might be a better solution for my shop building. I learned the range on them is about 200 meters, but both adapters must be connected to the same "leg" or phase of the power system.

Running underground CAT6 is another option, but it will ending up costing about the same as a power line adapter, and will be a lot more work.

Message 23 of 32
OrbiRocks
Guide

BTW, I also asked about connecting the newer Netgear Mesh Network Extenders and was told they are also problematic to use with the Orbi and will cause bandwidth to slip.

Message 24 of 32
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiRocks wrote:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.  Posted reply two times, and both times it has been deleted.  I didn't think I said anything negative, not sure I understand why my posts are being removed.

You are probably more careful than I am.  Several times I have created (very sophisticated and witty) posts and neglected to scroll down the page and click on "Post".  I have so many browser windows open at one time and keep switching back and forth between them as I look up URL's to include in my message, and more windows so that I can scroll through the past entries in a post, that I get confused and close a bunch of windows including the one with that fabulous post.  Later, I say, "where the heck is my post?"

If some omniscient moderator were deleting posts, I can point you to dozens that I would rather "went away."

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7