Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extension to guest house

Apple21
Aspirant

Extension to guest house

I have the Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, with Wall Plugs (RBK33) system,

I have extended it to the guest house 400 feet away with two satellites and it works. The problem is that the signal disappears randomly and I need to reboot the router each time to reconnect. Is there away to make sure the connection is permanent. Do I need to buy another router for the guest house and use the AB button or would a powerful extender do the trick? 

Thank you. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Extension to guest house

I'm surprised it even works. 400ft is a long way for a standard wireless setup. A point to point system wouldn't have issues.

that's probably why you're having issues. 

You could try something like netgear's airbridge to connect the 2 buildings and then connect a satellite in the other building. 

Message 2 of 10
Apple21
Aspirant

Thank you. So you think that would be better than an additional router on the AP mode.

I looked up the Airbridge and it seems to be perfect. Do I need to buy two or just one and that will connect to the satellites in guest house.

Thank you.

@plemans wrote:

I'm surprised it even works. 400ft is a long way for a standard wireless setup. A point to point system wouldn't have issues.

that's probably why you're having issues. 

You could try something like netgear's airbridge to connect the 2 buildings and then connect a satellite in the other building. 

Message 3 of 10
Apple21
Aspirant

I apologize if I was not clear. Currently I have two satellites in the guest house. 

Ty.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Apple21 wrote:

Thank you. So you think that would be better than an additional router on the AP mode.

I looked up the Airbridge and it seems to be perfect. Do I need to buy two or just one and that will connect to the satellites in guest house.

Thank you.

In point to point mode it takes 2. one at each end. You'd still need the 2 satellites in the guest house but it'd provide a better backhaul than trying to reach that far with standard satellites. 

Message 5 of 10
Apple21
Aspirant

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

for it to work properly yes. there are cheaper systems on amazon. you just need to search for point to point system
Message 7 of 10
Apple21
Aspirant

Thank you.   Will pay it safe and get two of the Orbi.   Ty.

Message 8 of 10
Apple21
Aspirant

Unfortunately it did not work as the router is in an enclosed area and not near a window. So any chance you have another idea?

ty.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

orbi isn't a point to point system.
Research netgear airbridge
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo