Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External Storage on Orbi RBK50 Router

ddonjon
Follower

External Storage on Orbi RBK50 Router

I have just purchased the Orbi AC3000 (RBK50) router and satelitte and was hoping to connect some external storage to the wireless network for movies, photos etc.  My previous router was an Apple Airport Extreme and when I used it, I was able to connect an external hard drive to it in order to access my movies on the wireless network (essentially creating a modified NAS). 

I understand that the USB port on the Orbi router does not support USB storage devices, so I'm wondering if theres a way to achieve what I'm looking to accomplish by connecting my old Apple Airport Extreme to the Orbi (via ethernet cable) and then the external hard drive to the rear of the Airport Extreme in order to access its data.  I beleive this can be done, but I'm clueless on the step-by-step procedures I would need to follow and what settings on the Orbi and/or the Airpport Extreme that are required.  Any help is appreciated.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Real NAS devices work with Orbi that have LAN connections. Orbi doesn't support USB drives at this time. Not sure if it ever will. 

You can check out some USB to LAN adapters to see if this would help connect the USB drive to a network LAN connection. I recommend finding a actual NAS system to connect for long term storage solutions and better flexibility for connections. 

Message 2 of 5
CoolNK
Initiate

Such a High Cost device, should have basic capability of attaching any external storage drvie or USB drive to support/connect using Wi-Fi. I see many of other competitors router and modem has this capability.
I would really appreciate Netgear Team to provide a FIX for all existing Netgear ORBI customers, else you will certainly lose the attention and market soon. 

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

You can wire your AirPort Extreme to Orbi, set the AirPort Extreme in AP mode (no radio) and connect your USB drives to the AirPort.
I use an AirPort TimeCapsule in this configuration and it works flawlessly.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

People have been asking about this from NG for past few years. NG hasn't made any new features for it and I presume they may not being this far into the 1st gen Orbi. Maybe next gen Orbi however no info currently. Market for Orbi has been working thus far, with or with out USB storage support. IMO LAN NAS is better for storage vs USB storage. 

I recommend trying the suggestion that ekhalil mentioned with your other router to get USB storage solution going in mean time. 

@CoolNK wrote:

Such a High Cost device, should have basic capability of attaching any external storage drvie or USB drive to support/connect using Wi-Fi. I see many of other competitors router and modem has this capability.
I would really appreciate Netgear Team to provide a FIX for all existing Netgear ORBI customers, else you will certainly lose the attention and market soon. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7